Bob Hoover video?

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Just heard about this one....

"the movie produced by "Pennzoil" of Bob Hoover flying the Aerocommander Shrike? In one sequence in the movie the cameraman was sitting in the passenger section and filmed Mr. Hoover pouring a glass of iced tea with the glass on the top of the instrument panel and the tea pouring from a pitcher that he was holding while HE WAS ROLLING the airplane"

Anybody know how I can get a copy of this video? I'd love to watch it.

Oh man, I had that shot on video tape a long time ago but have since lost track of it. Very impressive flying by Hoover!! :blueplane:

Steve said:
He did that on ABC Wide World of Sports with Curt Gowdy once.

A clip is included in this video
Thanks Steve, that's exactly what I was looking for. :)

Diana,

Bob Hoover also did some amazing flying in a Aero Commander 114 promotional video, as well. We are getting DVD's made for our Commander Owners Group. I'll see if I can get an extra copy.

In one pass over the runway, Hoover rolls the 114 to the right then touches the right main to the runway. He rolls to the left and touches the left main to the runway. And then. one more roll to the right again touching the right main. All in one pass!

Incredible stuff.
Gary

Gary Miesch said:
Diana,

Bob Hoover also did some amazing flying in a Aero Commander 114 promotional video, as well. We are getting DVD's made for our Commander Owners Group. I'll see if I can get an extra copy.
You really think you'll ever see that dvd??? :no:

guffaws and shakes head....

Hoover was the guy that would loop the Twin Commander, kill the engines at the top and land the last half dead-stick in front of the crowd right?

AirBaker said:
Hoover was the guy that would loop the Twin Commander, kill the engines at the top and land the last half dead-stick in front of the crowd right?

He did that routine at the NW EAA Convention?Arlington, just before the medical fiasco... very smooth.

Bill,
Oh ye of little faith! Its only been 8 months since the promise of the DVD's from Mr. Sedam. I figured it would take a year. His new (college kid) helper should be kicking them out by next week.

Oh man, I am really getting delusional! Must goooooooooo take mmmmmyyyyyy
medicati............._____________________________________________

AirBaker said:

Stock production Shrike Aero Commander 500S

More like: Wow's you with them running. Shuts them both down up fairly high, feathers the props completely, does a few 4/8 point rolls and/or a couple other things (I forget what now), dives way bad steep down for the runway, does a loop from way too low AGL, goes past you to the end of the runway in absolute silence with stopped props and the gear up (a scene that burns into your mind forever), 180 turn lazy 8, (drops the gear in there somewhere) back to the runway, touches left main, lifts up, touches right main, lifts up, then touches both mains at once, sets the nosewheel down oh so gently, turns off the runway and rolls to a stop 20ft from the fence at show center and if he uses the brakes, he's real gentle on them as he stops.

Yes that is Master Hoover.

I've seen him do his routine 5 or 6 times. It does not cease to be impressive.

Last edited:
Wasn't the whole Medical fiasco spawned by the fact after all the engine out loops and rolls he failed to coast up to show center, so the two FAA guys decided that old Bob must have lost his ability to fly an airplane?

Dave

Dave Theisen said:
Wasn't the whole Medical fiasco spawned by the fact after all the engine out loops and rolls he failed to coast up to show center, so the two FAA guys decided that old Bob must have lost his ability to fly an airplane?

I aspire to achieve that level of gross incompetence at least once in my life.

Steve said:
Mr. Hoover is scheduled to make a public appearance 1300 Friday, July 29 at Airventure '05 as one of the "Warbirds in Review" program subjects. This will be one of the few opportunities to see him in person, as he is getting on in years.

Hoover will discuss three aircraft...T-28, F-86, T-33. He was involved in flight testing all of them while at North American. All the other presenters during the week will be talking about one particular plane.

Among others scheduled to present during the week are

Bud Anderson
Tex Hill
Robin Olds
Paul Tibbets

Full schedule available at http://www.warbirds-eaa.org/events/airventure.html

FAA's perspective on Mr. Hoover's medical disqualification controversy:

http://www.cami.jccbi.gov/AAM-400A/FASMB/Editorials/1995_4.htm

Fallout from the controversy:

http://ct-divorce.com/hoover2.htm

Of the whole Hoover fiasco, the most poignant comment was made by the FAA medical weasels themselves to Australia where Hoover continued to fly his same airshow with their full medical approval "You're making us (the FAA) look bad." (You don't need much help from the Aussies for that)

Just one of the BS reasons aviation costs so very much more than it should in the USA.

When I used the term weasels for the two FAA guys earlier in this thread, be assured I meant that in the best possible way. As in, the 2 FAA weasels were not even fit to carry Bob Hoover's jock strap, much less make a formal complaint that he didn't look well to them on that day.

Shoot, there's lots of people that think Bob doesn't look well, even on a good day !

Back