Bob - Helo Question

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
how much attention do you pay to the inclinometer? i suppose uncoordinated flight is not really very important?

Not Bob, but I'll answer anyways.

Yes we do pay attention to flying in trim either with the inclinometer (ball) or a trim string.

While there is no adverse yaw in helos there are differing amounts of torque that must be compensated for.

Flying out of trim is inefficient as it exposes more of the body of the helo to the wind increasing drag.

Joe

and besides all that aerodynamic inefficency, which could be dangerous, there is the simple fact of pilot and passenger discomfort caused by flying "out of trim".

Both good answers. Also, Robinson just issued a safety alert about possible tail rotor damage from flying out of trim:

http://robinsonheli.com/srvclib/r44sa_avoid_out_of_trim_0607.pdf

Also, if you have the doors off, you'll feel wind coming through the cockpit when you're not in trim. Remember every power change requires a pedal change to stay in trim.

thanks, some discussion at work about whether our slip/skid is displaying correctly. some programs have the same display and have been in flight test. we are trying to decide if the pilots would've noticed that it was wrong. they may be trimming out by feel and/or string or just worried about other things.

how much attention do you pay to the inclinometer? i suppose uncoordinated flight is not really very important?

Keep the ball in the center for crew/pax comphort and aerodynamic efficenty ( Go faster ) Yaw strings are a MUST in sailplanes but not much good in Helios use the Turn/ slip indicator and dont complain about my spelling or typing LOLBob

Keep the ball in the center for crew/pax comphort and aerodynamic efficenty ( Go faster ) Yaw strings are a MUST in sailplanes but not much good in Helios use the Turn/ slip indicator and dont complain about my spelling or typing LOLBob

No complaint about your spelling, except what is a "Helios"?

Yaw strings work in helicopters. I don't know if they work in helios since I don't know what a "helios" is...

Not to mention that lots of helicopters don't have gyros...

No complaint about your spelling, except what is a "Helios"?

This...

helios1.jpg

...well, yaw strings get a little fuzzy when you are down below effective translational lift.
When that happens you do want to be pointed somewhere close to where you're going.

Other than that who cares (knows)?

Joe

A more effective way than even a yaw string is flying with the doors off. 'Course up in Montana I only did that about 4 months out of the year.

Back