Bob Bruneau (RotaryWingBob)

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
I am very sad to report that our fellow POAer and friend Bob Bruneau has flown west. I emailed Bob's wife Dusty today to relay POAs out pouring of prayers, thoughts and support and when I got a call about three hours later from her rather than an email my stomach dropped.

Bob died last Friday when the family decided to take him off the respirator. The choice was either that or leave him on and put him in a nursing home and wait for the Cancer to get him. Knowing Bob I know he would not have wanted that. Bob did not want a funeral but instead sometime this summer Dusty, his family and friends will have a celebration of his life. I'll keep you informed so the local PA POAers can be involved if appropriate.

Just a word about Bob. Many of you only know him from the board. I and a few others have been privledged to have had been able to spend time with him at flying events, at his home and on hikes. It was just last summer that Tamson and I attended his 65th birthday. It literally seems like yesterday. Bob was a sucessful and accomplished guy who pursued the things he loved. Cooking, Travel, Hiking and of course flying. I remember how happy he was when his wife Dusty not only agreed to go up in his new R44 but really enjoyed it. ( Wasn't so thrilled about the R22 as Bob related) I also remember being genuinly happy for him. Our board was a richer place because Bob Bruneau was part of it. He was a Veteran, a pilot, a friend and a gentleman. I will really miss Bob. I do want you all to know that Bob was a guy that LIVED life. Lets all take a lesson from that.
:heli:

It is with great sadness to hear of this news, Adam. Our prayers are certainly with his family. I am so greatful for all of the wisdom and insight Bob so easily offered.

You will be greatly missed, Bob. Tailwinds.

Very sad, indeed. My prayers to his family, too.

Our board was a richer place because Bob Bruneau was part of it. He was a Veteran, a pilot, a friend and a gentleman. I will really miss Bob. I do want you all to know that Bob was a guy that LIVED life. Lets all take a lesson from that.

Amen.

-Rich

Thank you for letting us know Adam. I am sad to hear this. My thoughts and prayers are with Bob's family and my PoA family.

I have tears in my eyes. He will definitely be missed. The memories of those who knew him and the wonderful posts he's made here will be only part of his rich legacy. I certainly understand not wanting to have him spend his last days in the nursing home. Thanks for letting us know, Adam!

I came to POA because of a friend who passed away while flying helicopters over the GoM, and Bob was the first to welcome me. I will always remember his generosity and kind words in my time of grief.
I now pass my own words along to his friends in their time of grief.

My condolences to his family, his friends, and to any pilot who happened to cross his path. A loss to them, the community, and to aviation.

Fair skies and smooth air, my friend!

This is so sad. :( Bob was great and I know how much he'll be missed. Damn. :(

Greebo - any way to "retire" the screen name?

This is terrible. I just emailed Dusty today as I was thinking about Bob and hadn't received an update yet. Thanks for letting us know Adam. He was a great guy, and I am very sad.

This is so sad. :( Bob was great and I know how much he'll be missed. Damn. :(

Greebo - any way to "retire" the screen name?

No need we'll just keep it there and have a bit of him to remember. Plus as long as its there it not available to anyone else.

My condolences and prayers for Bob and his family. This is very sad indeed. I'm sure he will be greatly missed by family and friends.

I envied Bob for getting his helo ticket. A great accomplishment for someone his age.

So sad to lose someone from the PoA family. I never had the opportunity to meet him, but I always enjoyed reading his stories from the world of rotor-heads. He seemed like a great guy to have the opportunity to know.

Thoughts and prayers for his family.

It just sucks!

I hate cancer so much and to see it take another just makes me so mad.

Bob was a great guy, I enjoyed chatting with him on here. I learned a lot about helicopters from him and what I did learn made me a better pilot.

He WILL be missed.

Last edited:
Godspeed Bob, and thank you for revealing my addiction to the whirlybirds.

You shall be sorely missed.

Last edited:
What could I say about this man that those of you who knew him better have not already said or do not already know?

May the rotorcraft where he is now be all that his heart desires, and AvGas (or Jet A) be plentiful and free.

Very sad, my condolances to the family. Thanks Adam for letting us all know. :(

Gary

I didn't know him very well, but what I did know of him was -- and still is -- something special. My most sincere condolences to his family.

Godspeed, Bob.

"To fly west, my friend,
is a flight we all must make,
for our final checkride."

Bob, you will be missed. It is with a heavy heart I read this news. May you find tailwinds and clear skies wherever you are flying now...

Adam, thank you for the news. It was a difficult post I'm sure. Bob was always a positive voice for aviation. He will be missed here.

We are considering the best way to pay our respects to our fellow pilots who have flown west. Rest assured, whatever we do, it will be respectful, and last as long as PoA.

One thought is - would it be appropriate to apply a black ribbon to his avatar - as Scott has done?

We are considering the best way to pay our respects to our fellow pilots who have flown west. Rest assured, whatever we do, it will be respectful, and last as long as PoA.

One thought is - would it be appropriate to apply a black ribbon to his avatar - as Scott has done?
I might also suggest that if you can update his title to something e.g. Gone West, We miss you, etc.

Obviously I like the black ribbon idea.

Not long before Adam posted the previous news, I was talking with a student about a couple helos that frequently come to our FBO for fuel. I then relayed the story about a gentlemen who sold his share in fixed wing and decided to spend his remaining years enjoying those chaotic flying machines as that's what he loved most.

I was thinking then I had not seen Bob post for some time. The last news was his putting off the training in California. I had to go back and read some of his posts. He had a wonderful sense of humor and he was a gentleman in every sense of the word whether he opposed you in political philosophy or an opinion in aviation. His words were always kind. I appreciate the small amount of time I got to share thoughts with him on the board. I'm envious of those who knew him personally.

In the post where he first said he was feeling ill, he finishes with:
Anyway, I still hope to see lots of folks at Adam's BBQ in May! In fact, Adam, I suggest a new contest: a lavish prize to the pilot who lands closest to the approach end numbers of the active runway, with extra credit for stopping right on top of them. Whaddya think ;)

Only he would think of a contest that would guarantee the author the first prize. He'd deserve it, too.

Bob, you were appreciated on this board more than you ever knew. You struck a chord by your flight west and you'll be missed. Fair winds, Sir.

Adam, thank you for posting such a nice tribute to Bob. Please pass along our thoughts and condolences to his family. He seemed like a great guy.

Thanks Adam! I really enjoyed Bob's posts and hoped to meet him one day. He was always upbeat and loved to understand and explain things. Bob and folks like him really give character to our little community.

My sincere condolences to his family.

Best,

Dave

I am sitting on my couch thinking of last spring, when I met Bob for the first time in person -- after talking with him online for 5... almost 6? years. It's so hard to believe one of our own has flown west, especially Bob... his musings on helicopter flying, chatting about life and politics...

We will miss you Bob. Hope the air is smooth and the mornings beautiful. Safe travels.

F@#$ cancer.

-Andrew

Aw, ****.

This is very sad news. My condolences - Bob will be missed.

:(

Tailwinds, Bob. You will be missed around here.

Oh no! Bob!

This is very, very disheartening to learn. Please, Adam, please give my best to Bob's family. I met Bob on two different occasions, and he was a phenominal and stand up guy. This is not what I wanted to hear :(

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air. . . .
Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or ever eagle flew —
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.
— John Gillespie Magee, Jr
Prayers for peace, comfort and strength for Bob's family.

Bob was one of my favorite contributors here. Whenever I had a technical helicopter question he was very eager to answer it and really could explain the intricacies well. I always loved that. Certainly a master of his craft. We'll miss him, alot.

Deeply beautiful skies of azure, angels' voices and angels' wings...

...we loved your stories, Bob, you helped feed dreams of great things for us.

Peace and comfort to the family.

Amen.

Excellent eulogy, Adam. I never had the honor of meeting Bob in person, though, as everyone else has said, I always enjoyed his fantastically educational (and often humorous) posts around here. I'm sure he'll finally get that Bell 206 he's been wanting. My condolences to his wife, and everyone who had the pleasure of knowing him.

Back