Bo crashes into house in Massachusetts

Not surprising. Low calendar smoh engines have a somewhat lousy record of infant mortality considering the money people demand to overhaul these antiquated tractor engines. Reference demo Mooney crash on the way to sun n fun. I'm a fan of seasoned engines. Let someone else run the cycles on the first 200 hours....

A tough sell being as though few other aircraft are certified for the BRS. Tough sell to retrofit anything not in experimental category, as the cost is 1/3 of the value of the aircraft in most cases. Not every aircraft has the useful load of the Cirrus, so losing that ability to carry fuel and/or pax may tip the scale of whether that aircraft still meets the mission. You think a 172SP has plenty of useful load to spare? With a BRS, it probably has less than 700lbs of useful load, so take away a full load of fuel and you're down close to 300lbs. So yes, a tough sell for equipment designed to prevent a relatively miniscule chance that you'll need to use it.

Our flying club in FL purchased a 172sp and removed the BRS chute before anyone was allowed to fly it. They liked to keep fuel topped off and it would have been overweight with two bigger adults and bags.

Not surprising. Low calendar smoh engines have a somewhat lousy record of infant mortality considering the money people demand to overhaul these antiquated tractor engines. Reference demo Mooney crash on the way to sun n fun. I'm a fan of seasoned engines. Let someone else run the cycles on the first 200 hours....

that mooney crash is a good example. Even a factory new engine can have gremlins.

Considering the characteristics of this flight and not the pilot or controller, Does anyone think this flight should have tried for Mansfield ? They were exactly half way between North Central SFZ and Mansfield 1B9. Mansfield would have offered a straight in attitude if gliding, with out having to pull a 180 turn to North Central. Did the turning maneuver burn up altitude ?

When I put myself in this situation I think I'd look at the iPad or mfd and see Mansfield 7nm out in front of me and tell myself go for it.... They have an rnav there and a highway basically aligned on final if you come up short. If gliding in short you could wheels up into the airport as an open space even on the 110 heading. IF a pilot could stay calm and come up with that in 60 seconds does it seem like the plan??

I fly this LIFR mission with my family a lot and hope this flight can give us all a take away to learn from if we are faced with this near impossible decision matrix.

Since the audio reveals the question where's the nearest airport Would keener situational awareness offered quicker decisions? ie knowing where nearby airports are...

Is it good practice to avoid significant turns and maneuvers to save altitude unless you know you can make it ?

I think when I'm set up for vectors to final I'm done thinking about nearby airports, but this demonstrates I probably shouldn't be....

What other tips for LIFR should we all gain, it seems to me this fellow pilot would certainly want us to....?

Yes,

I was thinking why did the controller not offer Mansfield. I lived in this area and 1b9 is right next to the highway. He could have avoided the 180 turn and he could have flown right next to the highway, so he would have had the option of landing on I-495.

Plus just short of IB9 does not have much buildings . KSFZ is on a small hill and the lincoln mall is between him and the runway. Considering he was very likely to come up short.

Last edited:
Yes,

I was thinking why did the controller not offer Mansfield. I lived in this area and 1b9 is right next to the highway. He could have avoided the 180 turn and he could have flown right next to the highway, so he would have had the option of landing on I-495.

Plus just short of IB9 does not have much buildings . KSFZ is on a small hill and the lincoln mall is between him and the runway. Considering he was very likely to come up short.
He wouldn't have made either one.

He wouldn't have made either one.

Yep :( and his chances of a successful landing on I495 in those conditions.. probably Not very good. I can not imagine being in his situation.... with his family on board :(

Back