BNIB ROLEX Stainless with White Gold Bezel and Blue Face

Sorry -- I was assuming that he actually wanted sell it. :rolleyes:
I'm sure he does. But if you need the value (perceived or otherwise) of a Rolex explained to you, then you're not a prospective buyer. Trying to convince you -- or anyone else -- to buy an expensive luxury item like that is a waste of time and effort. If you're a prospective buyer, you already know exactly what it is and what it's worth to you.

Some people are prospective buyers for a high-dollar luxury watch. Some (like me, and probably you) are not. It's that simple.

I'm sure he does. But if you need the value (perceived or otherwise) of a Rolex explained to you, then you're not a prospective buyer. Trying to convince you -- or anyone else -- to buy an expensive luxury item like that is a waste of time and effort. If you're a prospective buyer, you already know exactly what it is and what it's worth to you.

Some people are prospective buyers for a high-dollar luxury watch. Some (like me, and probably you) are not. It's that simple.

Yep, I know all about Rolexes, bought a Sea Dweller off a commercial diver turned crackhead for $750 and turned around and sold it for $6500, even took one apart under supervision of the local Rolex repair guy who was a boat instruction customer of mine (gives you an idea of how much he makes working on them in So Fla). It is definitely a well built beautifully machined piece of equipment I would never own because I'm not a fan of jewelry as I work with too many machines and have seen too many ornamentation involved injuries. Besides, I just don't care enough about what time it is.:D

Well, I've been known to spend a lot of money on some ridiculously expensive things, after I've come to understand their value. Airplanes and hotels come to mind.

However, I'm still trying to figure out what makes a Rolex wrist watch worth as much as a good motorcycle, and twenty times more than a titanium Citizen watch. There just doesn't seem to be enough there, unless it's solid gold or packed with diamonds.

Which I understand some of them are.

Questioning the value of Rolex seems to elicit the same type of response as a religious discussion. "If you don't know, we're certainly not going to tell you! You just gotta have faith."

There is some pricey bling hanging off my wives neck and ears. Sure 99% of people couldn't tell the difference between the real stuff and some cubic zircons in a white gold setting.

If you need to know what time it is, buy a Timex. If you want to wear a piece of jewlery on your wrist, get a Rolex, Breitling, IWC or whatever tickles your fancy.

My dad bought a gold presidential Rolex in the mid-70's, he was a proud as any man could be, he showed it to Benny, his used car manager and Benny asked, "A Rolex, is that like a Timex?" Took a little air out of my dad's sail on that note! :mad2:
I actually have a Rolex, 18K gold Yacht-Master that I bought from a guy buying a truck about 10 years ago. My wife has a gold one as well, the name of it slips my mind. Are they worth $15-20K for a new watch..................no. Buying a used one a decent price makes for decent investment, I think mine is probably worth what I paid for it.;) They keep decent time, not as good as a Casio, but they are basically nice jewelry that tells time. :rolleyes:

A bit off topic, but this would seem to be the right crowd to ask.

Since moving to the island I've stopped wearing watches (and most clothing -- whoops...TMI? :lol:), but I've always wondered about Rolexes. They're cool-looking, but...

To you guys who wear them, what, exactly, makes them worth $5 grand?

Well, I've been known to spend a lot of money on some ridiculously expensive things, after I've come to understand their value. Airplanes and hotels come to mind.

However, I'm still trying to figure out what makes a Rolex wrist watch worth as much as a good motorcycle, and twenty times more than a titanium Citizen watch. There just doesn't seem to be enough there, unless it's solid gold or packed with diamonds.

Which I understand some of them are.

Questioning the value of Rolex seems to elicit the same type of response as a religious discussion. "If you don't know, we're certainly not going to tell you! You just gotta have faith."

The gold ones are pretty heavy with 18K gold, they diamonds on them always look like chips anyway. ;)

The gold ones are pretty heavy with 18K gold, they diamonds on them always look like chips anyway. ;)

The jewels that count are on the inside anyway.;)
My buddy in Manhattan who can afford whatever watch he would want wears an old Timex and calls fancy watches "mugger bait."

Last edited:
Back