BNIB ROLEX Stainless with White Gold Bezel and Blue Face

Damn how do I get on your Xmas list? That's a nice watch!

alright get out of here you window shoppers (aka posting but no buying) can we get a buyer.. ?? Just playing haha

What is the minimum time interval that has to elapse before one is allowed to sell a Rolex or Breitling 'pilot watch' given to you by a well-meaning but in terms of your taste clueless parent or spouse ? Does etiquette require you to wait for death/divorce or are you allowed to turn it into 1000Gal of Avgas before that ?

36MM? That's a ladies watch, right?

I had the Citizen Eco-Drive Titanium for over 8 years and never had to change the battery. It only loose one second/month when compared with WWV time signals. The new one http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-JY001...7&sr=8-7&keywords=citizen+blue+angels+skyhawk
is time controlled for right on accuracy. I found Titanium case and band to be very convenient since it makes the watch much lighter than gold or stainless steel, you barely feel that you have it on. This watch will outlast me easily. Strongly recommend it.

José

Dang, OP posts his watch and you turn it into buy this one instead? What up with that? :dunno:

Sorry, I just bought one of those for my wife's birthday. Pretty in the pictures... really nice in the hand!

Wish I had an extra 4k burning a hole in my pocket. I've always liked the smaller men's rolexes. I've got small wrists, they fit me quite well.

A bit off topic, but this would seem to be the right crowd to ask.

Since moving to the island I've stopped wearing watches (and most clothing -- whoops...TMI? :lol:), but I've always wondered about Rolexes. They're cool-looking, but...

To you guys who wear them, what, exactly, makes them worth $5 grand?

Name and style and its Swiss made, and it's powered on movement so no batteries but who knows just a name.

Since moving to the island I've stopped wearing watches (and most clothing -- whoops...TMI? :lol:), but I've always wondered about Rolexes. They're cool-looking, but...

My wife wanted one.

In my opinion they're not. I can't find anything in or on one that justifies the cost, and there are far better examples selling for far less. It is name recognition, and nothing more. I've never had any use for such.

like Steingar, I now prefer pocket watches. Mine's a Motorola.

i would really like a Waltham clock for the glider.

Honestly, I think the two-tone submariner is a stunning watch so I bought one. Are they worth the $$$? I suppose you could ask the same about a New Cirrus. Is it worth $500K+? Only the buyer knows that answer....

I wear the stainless steel Longines my dad wore while in the Pacific in WW-II. That, pilot family, is a treasure.

I wear the stainless steel Longines my dad wore while in the Pacific in WW-II. That, pilot family, is a treasure.

Longines are good watches. I have one, though it doesn't work that well. I like Longines far better than Rolexes.

In my opinion they're not. I can't find anything in or on one that justifies the cost, and there are far better examples selling for far less. It is name recognition, and nothing more. I've never had any use for such.

We just bought our son a watch for graduation/commissioning in the U.S. Army. It's a Citizen, listed for $400, and I talked the jewelry store owner down to $320. It's titanium, never needs winding or batteries, and has some sort of gorilla glass crystal that can't be scratched. After engraving, I'm out about $350.

I'm trying figure out how much better you can make a watch, really, and how Rolex justifies charging over ten times that price? Unless it's diamond studded, or solid gold, it doesn't seem to add up.

We just bought our son a watch for graduation/commissioning in the U.S. Army. It's a Citizen, listed for $400, and I talked the jewelry store owner down to $320. It's titanium, never needs winding or batteries, and has some sort of gorilla glass crystal that can't be scratched. After engraving, I'm out about $350.

I'm trying figure out how much better you can make a watch, really, and how Rolex justifies charging over ten times that price? Unless it's diamond studded, or solid gold, it doesn't seem to add up.

Sounds like a nice timepiece.

I've got a Rolex... but it's not a $6K one. My Dad bought it at the Rolex factory in Geneva in the mid-late 60s, cost him a couple hundred Francs, I think. It's the stainless Explorer, no date or anything fancy. He referred to it as his "no-BS Rolex". It's a pretty accurate self-winding watch that still works just fine, thank you, after these 40-odd years. I don't wear it often because the band is a little tight. I'm told it should be serviced -- but to have that done right is probably going to cost close to a grand, which is about double what the really nice watch my wife gave me for our anniversary cost. So, the Rolex is a drawer dweller for now.

So we got people bashing the fact Rolex is worth the money here and just going off on them. Do I agree maybe, maybe not but I mean that's any major high line brand you can say that about a Corvallis or a Lamborghini however don't you guys think your Opinions are better off somewhere else. Than on a for sale post, like we care that you bought your son a watch and chewed the guy down 80 dollars and Rolex is not worth the money, thank you for your love story.

Rolex makes great watches, and while they may be a bit overpriced due to the brand, that fact, and the fact that Rolex does NOT discount keeps them holding their value and even appreciating.

You will not go wrong buying a Rolex, depending on model, and if it suits you or not. It is a very personal thing, like many others in life.

Sometimes in our modern world, everything just seems so disposable and temporary. We buy a $500 iPhone and two years later (if that) throw it away and get the latest and greatest. Same with computers, TV's, cars, even houses, seems the whole damn world is trying to emulate a box of handi-wipes.

Rolex is one of the few examples of something that is still produced and built to last. In a way it keeps me grounded and reminds me pursue quality in all my endeavors. While I don't wear any jewelry, I always wear my Submariner.

One serious problem with the Rolex is that you are risking loosing your wrist when visiting some unfriendly neighborhoods. So take off your Rolex when in the area.

José

I've got a Rolex... but it's not a $6K one. My Dad bought it at the Rolex factory in Geneva in the mid-late 60s, cost him a couple hundred Francs, I think. It's the stainless Explorer, no date or anything fancy. He referred to it as his "no-BS Rolex". It's a pretty accurate self-winding watch that still works just fine, thank you, after these 40-odd years. I don't wear it often because the band is a little tight. I'm told it should be serviced -- but to have that done right is probably going to cost close to a grand, which is about double what the really nice watch my wife gave me for our anniversary cost. So, the Rolex is a drawer dweller for now.

My Dad bought a gold IWC (a "Schafhausen") in Paris, at the then-extant Base Exchange, in something like 1952. I have the receipt, and he paid $69.99. It was a lot of money.

Watch like that would be several thousand bills today.

So we got people bashing the fact Rolex is worth the money here and just going off on them. Do I agree maybe, maybe not but I mean that's any major high line brand you can say that about a Corvallis or a Lamborghini however don't you guys think your Opinions are better off somewhere else. Than on a for sale post, like we care that you bought your son a watch and chewed the guy down 80 dollars and Rolex is not worth the money, thank you for your love story.

The point (and inherent question) of the story was to explain what makes Rolex worth the money.

If you could explain the qualitative differences, it might help sell the Rolex.

The point (and inherent question) of the story was to explain what makes Rolex worth the money.

If you could explain the qualitative differences, it might help sell the Rolex.

Seriously? Why should the seller have to explain the "qualitative differences" ? Either you want a Rolex or you don't. What's next? We going to get Dr. Phil to have a chat session about superlative spending on a watch?

Do your own due diligence and learn about the brand so you can make an educated decision on the product / purchase....

Seriously? Why should the seller have to explain the "qualitative differences" ? Either you want a Rolex or you don't. What's next? We going to get Dr. Phil to have a chat session about superlative spending on a watch?

Do your own due diligence and learn about the brand so you can make an educated decision on the product / purchase....

Haha thanks

Back