Bluetooth to Wifi gateway device

bentmettle

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
matt
I've "become aware" of the ~13 PED limit on many Garmin Transponders for pairing bluetooth devices for ADS-B out.
(I don't understand why this exists to begin with- the legacy G1000 will spew bluetooth out readily to anything and doesn't seem to care where it's going. Maybe this is a security problem...)

This is a headache in a club environment. We have a lot of different users and the paired device list is nearly always full.

Wifi, when it works properly (making squinty eye face of moderate disapproval towards L3) is easier. We have a number of Lynx units in other planes and those just do what they're supposed to without much headache, and certainly far less button pushing.

I was poking around a bit to see if anyone made a device that paired the Bluetooth and then re-broadcast it over a Wifi link. I also looked to see if anyone grafted the Bluetooth input into something like a Stratux that is already pushing the data out over Wifi.

Anyone seen such a gizmo? Any reason it wouldn't work?

Any reason it wouldn't work?
Completely different protocols for different use cases. Yes, they’ve come closer to each other over time but for your scenario, you’d need a bridge that understood it was Bluetooth streaming data specifically and somehow stripped away the Bluetooth transport and added in the network transport while not mangling the actual data. Now that I’ve asserted this fact on the internet, hopefully someone will prove me wrong.

Agree- it would functionally have to translate the data layer on its way to rebroadcasting on the different physical layer.

I looked around a bit at folks talking about gdl39, but not having the actual elbows deep software experience it’d take, it’s a
Conceptual exercise for me.

Back