Bluetooth hearing aids

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
I am profoundly deaf and have trouble hearing even with the most expensive and most modern hearing aids. I may have to get Cochlear Implants in the future.

But for now, I have Bluetooth enabled hearing aids.

I can pair my Iphone to my hearing aids.
I can pair my Iphone to my Lightspeed Delta Zulu headset.

Can I pair my Delta Zulu to my Hearing aids?

If not, I have a remote mic with a 3.5mm audio jack that I can pair to my hearing aids so that I can plug into my PC and have the audio directly streamed to my hearing aids.
Is there a way to plug this remote mic into my Delta Zulu, or into the audio jacks on the planes GA audio panel so that I can stream the audio directly to my hearing aids?

(I have asked LIghtspeed before and they recommend asking my Hearing aid provider. My Hearing aid provider suggests I ask my Headset provider. It seems the people I have talked to at either place aren't knowledgeable about the other).

I can hear my phone so much better when streaming directly to my hearing aids so I was thinking I would be much better able to hear the audio in the plane better that way.

do you have T-coil in your aids? Might be able to pick up the T-Coil signal from the headset's magnets.

I'll start by saying I have no experience with this at all.

That said, what I think you are describing would be using bluetooth for both sides with the phone in the middle, and I don't see a way to make that work.

Headset <-BT-> phone <-BT-> hearing aide

I don't think you can take the phone out of the equation, as there'd be no way to pair the two directly together.

Basically, they are both peripherals, neither are controller devices.

I'll start by saying I have no experience with this at all.

That said, what I think you are describing would be using bluetooth for both sides with the phone in the middle, and I don't see a way to make that work.

Headset <-BT-> phone <-BT-> hearing aide

I don't think you can take the phone out of the equation, as there'd be no way to pair the two directly together.

Basically, they are both peripherals, neither are controller devices.
It is confusing.
I think you are right that I can't pair either the audio panel or the headset to the hearing aids like I can pair the iphone to the hearing aids.

But I am hoping there is a way to connect the remote mic directly to the audio panel and then use the remote mic (which is already paired to my hearing aids) so that the audio can be streamed to my hearing aids.

I know there are a lot of pilots that wear hearing aids and would love to have this capability. I'm not sure why noone has provided it yet. Or if they have I don't know why I can't find it.

I also have BT hearing aids (Resound One's and also own the Phone Clip which gets real Bluetooth connectivity).

The problem is that the headsets are not Bluetooth audio sources. You can't pair hearing aids or whatever to them.
I've not seen an audiopanel that sources audio via bluetooth. They act the other way around as well (connect to phones and audio players as if they were headsets).

I'm unsure of what you expect to gain. I have profound high freq. loss in both ears and wear my aids under a pair of DC One-X's. The aid will amplify the sound produced by the headset producing plenty of volume and provide fairly clear reception by me. With the headset over the aid you are, in effect, sending the sound waves to the aid... across the minimal air gap between the speaker and the mics of the aid. I must be missing something.

I can pair the headset with my phone and I get noticeably better volume with the aids in place versus just the headset; this tells me that the aids are definitely amplifying the sound produced by the headset.

I also have Resound BT capable aids that directly pair to my phone and certain smart TV's/devices.

I also have BT hearing aids (Resound One's and also own the Phone Clip which gets real Bluetooth connectivity).

The problem is that the headsets are not Bluetooth audio sources. You can't pair hearing aids or whatever to them.
I've not seen an audiopanel that sources audio via bluetooth. They act the other way around as well (connect to phones and audio players as if they were headsets).
yeahbut,
I don't think you need the headset or audio panel to be BT sources. They just need to provide audio through a 3.5mm jack to the remote mic and the remote mic becomes the BT source.

I might just try to find a 1/4inch to 3.5mm converter and see if I can make it work.

I'm unsure of what you expect to gain. I have profound high freq. loss in both ears and wear my aids under a pair of DC One-X's. The aid will amplify the sound produced by the headset producing plenty of volume and provide fairly clear reception by me. With the headset over the aid you are, in effect, sending the sound waves to the aid... across the minimal air gap between the speaker and the mics of the aid. I must be missing something.
I suspect my hearing loss is more significant than yours. I think that if digital audio from the panel was streamed to my hearing aids it would be more clear than the hearing aids picking up the analog sound. I can barely hear/understand a telephone, but if I stream the Iphone to my hearing aids I can hear and understand much much better.

There are devices available that accept audio input via a standard 3.5mm stereo plug and connect via bluetooth to a headset, so with a suitable 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter to connect the headset jack to the 3.5mm plug, that would feed the audio to your hearing aids. You'd probably need an impedance matching transformer as part of the adapter, maybe you can buy it that way, I don't know. Not sure whether those BT adapter can handle the mike signal in the other direction, you might need to plug your headset in normally and plug the BT adapter into a passenger jack.

If you want to take audio out by wire, you don't even need BT. There are a variety of streaming devices for hearing aids that take such an input.

I'm not sure what this all about, the biggest problem I have with my hearing aids under my lightspeeds is sometimes the earmuff pushes the program change button.

I see I forgot to hit post on this a little while ago.
In essence, I am talking about Ron's comment that there are a variety of streaming devices for hearing aids that take such input. That is what I want to do with my remote mic.

I'm thinking I can use the adapter shown here to plug into the panel audio 1/4 jack and plug the transmit jack from the headset into the panel as usual.
Then plug the remote mic into the female 3.5 mmm socket and the remote mic would then transmit to my hearing aids.

I currently plug the remote mic into the audio-out port on my computer and it works great.

Back