Bluetooth devices

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
ok, understand that I do software and can barely find the on/off switch on hardware. I get the bluetooth<->Zulu idea. And the bluetooth<->iPad concept. But how many bluetooth devices can an iPad connect to? If I get a bluetooth GPS for the iPad, does this restrict any additional bluetooth devices connecting to the iPad? Or is there a traffic jam? Or what?

I have been able to do two at a time so far.

Bluetooth GPS and Cellphone simul connected. Have not tried any more.

I have linked my phone, ear piece and wireless keyboard all at once. I believe I read somewhere that it is 6 or 7 devices can be linked at the same time.

The BT standard allows for up to 7 slave devices connected to one master. I think there's a method for one combination master/slave device to connect another group to the first 7 but I've never seen anything work like that. Also the standard doesn't require a master to handle 7 slaves and some don't handle more than one.

Depends on what you're trying to connect, also. Two audio devices won't work simultaneously, for example.

Depends on what you're trying to connect, also. Two audio devices won't work simultaneously, for example.
Certainly not likely with a headset but I do believe it's possible to design something that mixes several audio devices. OTOH I've not seen such a device yet. IOW there's nothing in the BT standard that precludes multiple slaves of the same type but there's not much use for that with most devices.

Certainly not likely with a headset but I do believe it's possible to design something that mixes several audio devices. OTOH I've not seen such a device yet. IOW there's nothing in the BT standard that precludes multiple slaves of the same type but there's not much use for that with most devices.

It's not necessarily the BT that's the limitation but probably the need for multiplexed audio devices in the OS to attach to. Might work for output but having two microphones attached to the OS level audio virtual mic device typically won't work.

Basically not just the BT has to support it. The OS does also. Or has to provide a mixer device.

Back