Blue crab run!

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
When and where is the best time and place to plan a blue crab run? I'd like it to be withing about 5-600 miles of Central Florida.

I want a place that is convenient to some nice hotels and an airport. It would be nice if there were other things to do to keep Leslie happy. She like nature walks and preserves, museums, botanical gardens and the like.

I like food, but I'm willing to tag along with her in between meals.

Given your parameters, Nawlins in a month or so. Not perfect, but you'll both be happy.

Go a little further, try KTGI. Step back in time 50 years and get the best crabs you will ever find. Nice people good food and unlike any place you will ever see. They also have the strangest accent you will ever hear. It is Tangier Island located in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay.

There's no crabs till May,
so we'll hop on my sleigh,
and we'll fly to New England
and you can have have scrod!

Go a little further, try KTGI. Step back in time 50 years and get the best crabs you will ever find. Nice people good food and unlike any place you will ever see. They also have the strangest accent you will ever hear. It is Tangier Island located in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay.
I'll second Tangier....for the ultimate in a blue crab experience. Not sure if there are any B&B on the island....but there should be something nearby. Kent Island is a nice quaint place loaded with crab places.

I usually fly to Cambridge and have live crabs brought to me. We cook them a special way. ....ask me why I have the large baggage door. :D:yesnod:

Tangier is great for softs as well. You can't get any closer than that.

It is (as pointed out) WAY too early even for the carolinas let a lone the bay. Any crabs you buy are sure to be full of mud.

Tangier is great for softs as well. You can't get any closer than that.

It is (as pointed out) WAY too early even for the carolinas let a lone the bay. Any crabs you buy are sure to be full of mud.
Tangier Island sounds perfect. This trip is probably for the June time frame. And I'm glad the comments in Airnav mentioned that the runway has been lengthened a couple hundred feet. 2400 ft wouldn't be a problem with good winds, but we are still getting used to the faster landings in the Bo.

When we firm up the trip I'll let you all know and maybe some of us can meet up there.

Just so ya know....there is no FBO or fuel there....just a place to park and a box to accept your $10 landing fee. When entering the pattern....be sure and listen closely. There are no taxi ramps....so each landing might require back taxiing.

This place is very popular in the summer months....so, you'll want to make your reservations early.

Last edited:
Just so ya know....there is no FBO or fuel there....just a place to park and a box to accept your $10 landing fee.
That is good to know. It sounds like some of our other favorites (Jekyll Island or Cedar Key) But with 80 gallon tanks, that gives us time to choose an airport with good fuel prices. And we would probably welcome a break somewhere along the way.

Tangier is a great place to spend a few hours and eat some crabs.

There are B&B's I believe if you are in to that. I believe the island is dry although this is probably only for the tourists. As last time I was there, I watched some locals load a couple cases of beer into a golf cart, make a half assed attempt to cover it with a tarp and drive off.

I would absolutely stop in for lunch and a Tour, but for vacation i'd spend the night elsewhere. I have been up/down the bay on a sailboat. Can't speak for accommodations but check st. michaels or oxford, md. I know the robert morris inn is a great spot for dinner and was always the best crabcakes of the trip. Never stayed there but they have rooms available.

Tangier is a great place to spend a few hours and eat some crabs.

There are B&B's I believe if you are in to that. I believe the island is dry although this is probably only for the tourists. As last time I was there, I watched some locals load a couple cases of beer into a golf cart, make a half assed attempt to cover it with a tarp and drive off.

I would absolutely stop in for lunch and a Tour, but for vacation i'd spend the night elsewhere. I have been up/down the bay on a sailboat. Can't speak for accommodations but check st. michaels or oxford, md. I know the robert morris inn is a great spot for dinner and was always the best crabcakes of the trip. Never stayed there but they have rooms available.
DRY????
How do you eat crabs without beer?:dunno:

Back