Blue Belt

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
My Son and I received our blue belt in Brazilian Jui Jitsu last night about 9:00 P.M.
Here's a pic with Dan and I in the middle and the school instructor (eighth degree black belt Carlos Machado) and our instructor (third degree black belt Marcio Santos.
All it means is we're not rookies anymore, but it's been a wonderful father son activity.

Best,

Dave

Attachments

• Picture 004 (Medium).jpg
    Picture 004 (Medium).jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 134
Can't afford shoes?;)

My Son and I received our blue belt in Brazilian Jui Jitsu last night about 9:00 P.M.
Here's a pic with Dan and I in the middle and the school instructor (eighth degree black belt Carlos Machado) and our instructor (third degree black belt Marcio Santos.
All it means is we're not rookies anymore, but it's been a wonderful father son activity.

Best,

Dave

Cool! I trained Machado with Marcos Santos a few times in NYC. Great guy. The students were great too. No egos and they were very helpful.

Always been a fan of 'shoeless Joe Jackson' <g>

Thanks Dave.

I'm the uuhhum senior mentor in the class.

Anyone know off the top of their head how many ibuprofen to equal just 2 advil..

Best,

Dave

Very cool.
What does the sign on the wall behind you say?

"Leave your ego at the door."

We're supposed to be in a learning environment and to teach others not at our level. Some of the guys just seem to want to brawl :yikes:.

Several folks go on to MMA matches from here. We don't do a lot of striking; so, they focus on that elsewhere. Most of us are just trying to learn all we can and get in a good workout.

It's been interesting to have new young folks come in that are in great shape and be able to reasonably handle them. Many are quite surprised!

Best,

Dave

Very nice! Your son is holding his certificate upside-down because....?

International signal of distress. He's hoping Dave won't make him do any more of that stuff.

Very nice! Your son is holding his certificate upside-down because....?

International signal of distress. He's hoping Dave won't make him do any more of that stuff.
And here I thought it might have had something to do with the position he ended up in after each match. :)

And here I thought it might have had something to do with the position he ended up in after each match. :)

This is the little boy I remember having trouble hitting a ball off a T when he was younger (T-ball) <g>. Now, he's bigger than me, stronger, faster and works harder at this than me; so, I'm usually the one trying to figure out how to escape from the bottom. Couldn't be prouder of that young man. Now going back to school to be an EE.

See what you took me away from when you last visited Mari? When are you coming back <g>

Best,

Dave

translation: don't f**k with Dave!

I know you're teasing; I think the discipline probably would keep me out of more and if I did get into something, I'd be more careful realizing most folks don't have this kind of training.

We have new guys come to class all the time that are in good shape and think they're real tough (a few really are). Most get pretty humbled.

Jiu Jitsu is pretty complex. Almost like a chess match. Many moves and most depend on what one's opponent does. It takes about four years to get a black belt in many marshal arts disciplines; it's ten for us if one really applies oneself. Don't know we'll get there, but it's fun trying.

Best,

Dave

Now, purple belt!

Two years ago, end of October, my Son and I received our blue belts in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. It took us over two years to get to that level. Two weeks ago, I received my purple belt which is the next level. Most folks aren't familiar with it. Next would be Brown Belt and then Black if my Son and I continue on. Of course, it's very rewarding. A wonderful work out, but at each level the folks we roll with are more accomplished and take it more seriously. Great to do this with my Son. Dan had to stop for a year to complete his EE. It was just too much to keep going with all he had to do to graduate. Now, he's back and is catching up.

Best,

Dave

Attachments

• Purple belt Nov 22 2113 With Dan and Marcio  (Small).JPG
    Purple belt Nov 22 2113 With Dan and Marcio (Small).JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 36
Congratulations, quite an accomplishment!

Martial arts are something I've always been interested in doing. I like the idea of it as a father-son activity when my son gets older.

Thanks guys. This is more like wrestling, not much striking but some to take someone to the ground. My Son got me interested. Never thought we'd stay with it this long when we began.

Best,

Dave

Best,

Dave

Congratulations, Dave!

I spent 15 years in different Chinese martial arts, and though there are no belts in those disciplines, I have gone through and passed a lot of testing. Sure feels good, doesn't it?

Father and son activities are great. My son and I fly, golf, and play guitar together. And we are both members of the same Masonic Lodge.

Congrats!

That's not an easy sport to belt in. Nice work. A friend is a black with multiple matches in International competition and he's pretty um... Intense.

Back