Blue Angels back up successfully with no delay.

Dave Krall CFII

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES, Cmcl HELI
Arranged to go to BFI with some kids for a close up of airport & TPA ops of the Blues this last weekend. Had a picnic under the sweet shade of the wings and in the open doored cockpit of one of the clubs Cessnas while they screamed through in tight formation at about 100 AGL. Fat Albert flew radical too.

Snap bank peel offs out of a full delta formation low pass to 6 tandem LDGs were probably the highlight.

FWIW: The demonstrators against the massive jet airshow were vastly out numbered by happy attendees. Maybe the price of admitance skewed things a bit though.

Last edited:
They performed over Boeing Field? I though they usually performed over the lake.

The only two times I got to see them were at Whidbey Island and at Navy Jax. They show up at Valdosta every year so I need to make it down there.

They performed over Boeing Field? I though they usually performed over the lake.

The only two times I got to see them were at Whidbey Island and at Navy Jax. They show up at Valdosta every year so I need to make it down there.

Yes you're right, the main show is over the Lake Washington, above the hydroplane course but, it is just off the eastern downwind for 13L/31R so much of it is visible from BFI.

The airport stuff is separate from the show and unique, so that's usually where I go plus, we all wait for them to sneak in some moves in front of the tower but they never do. That would be wrong by the FAA and so they never do it. And they never have.

Yes you're right, the main show is over the Lake Washington, above the hydroplane course but, it is just off the eastern downwind for 13L/31R so much of it is visible from BFI.
Much of it is also visible from Safeco Field, right on the waterfront between downtown and KBFI. Several times during yesterday's Seattle Mariners telecast the cameras focused on the Blues rather than on the unhappy proceedings on the playing field. :(

Much of it is also visible from Safeco Field, right on the waterfront between downtown and KBFI. Several times during yesterday's Seattle Mariners telecast the cameras focused on the Blues rather than on the unhappy proceedings on the playing field. :(

I like the outskirt areas sometimes because after splitting up, the pilots are often doing some close & low level, high G turns with max noise in order to get into a vector to regroup.

Having lived in Jacksonville or Pensacola (their home base) my entire life, I doubt Ive missed more than a half dozen performances over the last 45 years or so at least. They always amaze me!

The airport stuff is separate from the show and unique, so that's usually where I go plus, we all wait for them to sneak in some moves in front of the tower but they never do. That would be wrong by the FAA and so they never do it. And they never have.
...and almost certainly never will. If there's one thing that hallmarks the military demo teams, it's absolute discipline in flight.

Either the Blue Angels or the Thunderbirds perform each year at Jones Beach, Long Island over Memorial Day weekend. I always make it a point to attend the rehearsals and/or the performance.

Here are a few pics. If you like any of them, feel free to steal them.

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z237/FlyingRichard/

-Rich

A couple of years ago I saw the Blue Angels at Boca Chica. The base was open to the public and we were able to go out on the ramp and watch them enplane, and they did the show right over the runway. Now that was neat. I've seen them a number of times both before and since, but being right there, able to see their show as they walk out to the planes, as well as the demonstration, was something special. Talk about precision!

Back