Blowing up stuff- COOL!

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
Out with the old, in with the new. My cousin and I got up early this morning, loaded up the boys in his truck, and we headed over to a parking garage at NorthPark Center (shopping mall), to watch, across US75, the implosion of the NorthPark Three office building.

Really cool stuff. Just a few "bang-bang-bang" sounds, and...

...well, you can watch it!

http://www.sam-dfw.org/images/DSCN3215.MOV

Attachments

• DSCN3216.JPG
    DSCN3216.JPG
    645.7 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCN3217.JPG
    DSCN3217.JPG
    613.9 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN3228.JPG
    DSCN3228.JPG
    652.7 KB · Views: 38
Good pics!

I always took a perverse delight in blowing up stuff. I was on the platoon demolition team when I was with the Cav in Vietnam. No subtlety there -- we figured that if a pound of plastic explosive (C4) would do the job, two pounds would do it twice as well...

Good video.

I love watching things go boom.

And to think I thought dropping a glass on the tile kitchen floor was bad.

They'll be picking shards of glass out of the yard for years after that one...

As John Candy used to say on "Second City TV":

"It blowed up! It blowed up good!"

Y'know, I thought about renting a plane and flying around above it, but figured someone would object. Dunno why I thought so. There was (besides three news choppers) a 172 doing very well-executed turns areound a point for about ten minutes before the blast, and five after; think he was about 1,000'.

Anyway, good fun, and a real party atmosphere there.

Love the smiling faces. Where is the sound, though? No good without sound!

Great video!

Dang! I need to watch the news more often. I had no idea that was going on ... if I did I would have been there. My wife used to work in a building very close to that one.

Thanks for sharing!

Toby said:
Love the smiling faces. Where is the sound, though? No good without sound!

Cheap-ass digital camera video (well, it wasn't cheap when I bought it, but that was digital-ages ago, probably 2.5 people-years). No sound in the fool thing.

Smiling faces:

First, cousin Phil (soundtrack, imagine midwestern quasi-Jewish speaking pattern): "Whoa, dude, that rocked! Dude!"

Then, for the briefest moment (in passing), Phil's younger son Nicodemus (OK, his real name's "Kameron Nicholas Van Guilder," but he's been Nicodemus for as long as I've known him), then my chocolate-milk-mustached son, Tommy.

Here's an "after the blast pic," with Tommy, me (morning, no-shower-before-I-watch-the-explosives hair), Morgan (aka, "Moster Toaster"- they're big on nicknames in the Van Guilder house), and Nicodemus. Other pic, same line-up, substitute Phil for me (someone has to hold the camera, right?).

Good fun!

Attachments

• DSCN3226.JPG
    DSCN3226.JPG
    622.3 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN3218.JPG
    DSCN3218.JPG
    568.5 KB · Views: 24
A few years back, I had a good birds eye view of Pittsburgh's Three Rivers Stadium being blasted and dropped. My Dad knew a dude who knew a dude who got us into a party in a skyscraper very near to the sight. Quite interesting.

Last edited:
An explosion-watching--the perfect outing for boys, young and old. I have to say that I am a little envious--of both the outing and the "pre-shower hair."

Petra

Spike, Watch anything blow up lately? :D
Seriously Kenny....post count isn't everything. The more you post--the more static you generate--and the less you are noticed.

Seriously Kenny....post count isn't everything. The more you post--the more static you generate--and the less you are noticed.
It wasn't for post count. Take a look at the birthdays listed for the day and then those who previously posted in this thread.

Either way, does it really matter?

Y'know, I thought about renting a plane and flying around above it, but figured someone would object. Dunno why I thought so. There was (besides three news choppers) a 172 doing very well-executed turns areound a point for about ten minutes before the blast, and five after; think he was about 1,000'.

Anyway, good fun, and a real party atmosphere there.

A few years ago when they blew up the Knapp and Storms dorm buildings at ISU Tony and I were up in a Skyhawk for the proceedings. Talk about a great view!

A few years ago when they blew up the Knapp and Storms dorm buildings at ISU Tony and I were up in a Skyhawk for the proceedings. Talk about a great view!

yea that was pretty awesome to see the dorms fall.

Back