Blow out on landing

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
My right main blew out on touch down. A bit of fishtailing but a non event. I was already slow while making a short fld landing so that was good. The ironic part is the purpose of the flight was to go pick up a new set of tires to replace my aged checked tires.

Busy pattern with lots of transients and students. The Bo on one mile final behind me complimented me on clearing the rwy.

EDIT: I picked up the tires from the will call desk at Aircraft Spruce. While I checked out the tires right then I did not notice one did not have the balancing dot on it. The A&P went back to Spruce to exchange the tire. Just a heads up for y'all.

Last edited:
Richard said:
My right main blew out on touch down. A bit of fishtailing but a non event. I was already slow while making a short fld landing so that was good. The ironic part is the purpose of the flight was to go pick up a new set of tires to replace my aged checked tires.

Busy pattern with lots of transients and students. The Bo on one mile final behind me complimented me on clearing the rwy.
I'm a pre-solo student and on my last flight we lost the nosewheel tire on landing. Surprised the daylights out of me. I thought I'd made a decent landing (I had, actually) but as soon as the nosewheel came down there was this awful shuddering vibration and noise.

Instructor confirmed the landing was fine, "it was just that tire's time to go." We got it off the runway with a fairly high power taxi and called the school for a tug. I'd flown some years ago and also with friendly pilots from time to time and never had that happen before. It's one of those things I'm sort of glad to have experienced so that if it happens again I'll know what's going on.

We'd been doing ground reference maneuvers and lost it on return. Good thing we weren't doing touch and goes at one of the less-busy fields in the area we use for that purpose. :eek:

Richard said:

Yah, when you can see the air, the tire is too worn.... :hairraise:

I would imagine that could cause other damage on some planes. My gear doors for one could get beatup by the tire if it were to seperate. Wheel pants also could be destroyed. ??

Edit: When i saw the thead title I thought, Oh No Rich was going to get tires too. Sheesh. Good job Rich

bbchien said:
I know. I debated driving over to pick up the tires. I let things like, "It's a long drive." and, "But I have a plane." influence my decision. Not a good move, but when do you really know there are no more landings left in a tire? I was barely into the 1st cord on only one small area. The blowout was definately the tread and not the bead.

Old is old, that should have been the deciding factor.

Last edited:
Michael said:
I would imagine that could cause other damage on some planes. My gear doors for one could get beatup by the tire if it were to seperate. Wheel pants also could be destroyed. ??

Edit: When i saw the thead title I thought, Oh No Rich was going to get tires too. Sheesh. Good job Rich
I came to a full stop at about 400'. I had to power up to get to the first taxiway. I limped slowly to a place where I was clear of the rwy and parallel taxiway where I shut down. So what that I was partially blocking the fuel island. The tire was intact and partially still on the wheel. No damage although an increased sideload in a turn would have probably done some damage. I had about 4" clearance to the bottom of the pant.

Anything you want me to pick up from Spruce for ya?

Richard said:
Anything you want me to pick up from Spruce for ya?

After all the maintenece I have done the last few months..I think my plane is pretty much brand new again. Cant think of anything.

Damn people keep stealing my pitot cover, No way Im gonna buy another one. Even the raquetball isnt safe. Who are these people?

Michael said:
Damn people keep stealing my pitot cover, No way Im gonna buy another one. Even the raquetball isnt safe. Who are these people?

Are you sure it is being stolen? I had mine actually get blown off is a storm when I was parked ont he ramp in NC. I found it about 15 feet aways from the plane in the grass just by accident.

smigaldi said:
Are you sure it is being stolen? I had mine actually get blown off is a storm when I was parked ont he ramp in NC. I found it about 15 feet aways from the plane in the grass just by accident.

I'd like to think thats what happening, But i kinda doubt it. with that velcro strap i dont see how one could come off easily.

Michael said:
I'd like to think thats what happening, But i kinda doubt it. with that velcro strap i dont see how one could come off easily.
Coat it with a vile tasting liquid. That'll keep the coyotes away.

Michael said:

Yep, my right wheel pant got cracked when a tire went flat.

Note: Fiberglass patches don't hold. I had to get a salvage pant and had it painted the year AFTER the paint shop had patched and painted the first one.

smigaldi said:
Hmm I have never had a patch fail. But then I use fiberglass mat for the patch with a quality epoxy.
You took the words right out of my mouth. Fiberglas repair has much to do with adequate prep as well as quality materials. This from a guy who has spent much time on deep waters in patched plastic boats.

Richard said:
Coat it with a vile tasting liquid. That'll keep the coyotes away.

Birds will work at them too. I've found some laying around on the tarmac over the years.

bbchien said:
Maybe they were using the old-style air, that's not colored to make it more visible :goofy:

MauleSkinner said:
Maybe they were using the old-style air, that's not colored to make it more visible :goofy:
The 3 new I have now have Los Angeles basin nitrogen in them, I bet you can see that real good. Gives a new meaning to 3 HZ.

Back