Blood sugar question for Dr.s on the board

M

Morning highs

So my last couple blood tests my fasting blood sugar was a little high 105ish. So doc did an A1C and it was like 5.6 I think. Got the typical loose weight get more exercise talk.

I recently decided to get a blood glucose meter just to check things out and although I just started using it the numbers are interesting.

- So before dinner yesterday 90
- 2 hours after dinner yesterday 109
- When I woke up this morning (took it three times because the numbers didn't seem right) 116, 123, 103 (Obviously some error in the meter as well it is a Contour Next).
- 2.5 hours after breakfast 105
- Right before lunch 90
- One hour after lunch 119

So question is why so high when I wake up and I always get my blood drawn for physicals first thing in the morning which makes sense why it has been high then as well.

Texted a doctor friend he said maybe Somogyi effect? Also saw references to Dawn Phenomenon? Do these happen with people with otherwise "relatively normal" blood sugar numbers? I assume in either case these effect your A1C since your blood sugar levels are higher on average even if for a short time.

Here is a fantastic website that I used to educate myself on avoiding type 2 diabetes. I too am pre-diabetic.

https://www.bloodsugar101.com/

Good for you to buy a test kit. Tracking your BS now is the best way to avoid getting full blown diabetes.

I shoot for this goal: 140 or less one hour after a meal, and 120 or less two hours after a meal. If my numbers go higher than that, then I know I have eaten too many carbs or the wrong carbs.

My fasting glucose hovers between 98 and 109 and my a1c is 5.8.

I want my numbers lower than that which I can achieve with zero carb eating. Jordan Peterson’s daughter claims she put her rheumatoid arthritis in remission by eating only meat. I’d like to do that to see if my ailments get better but I am too addicted to sweets. :(

I want my numbers lower than that which I can achieve with zero carb eating. Jordan Peterson’s daughter claims she put her rheumatoid arthritis in remission by eating only meat. I’d like to do that to see if my ailments get better but I am too addicted to sweets. :(
Can you stand the taste of sucralose? I do have cereals in the morning that contain some sugar, and of course fruits. But for snacking, if I want more sweetness in anything, I add Splenda. I can certainly tell the difference from sugar, but in low concentrations, it satisfies my sweet tooth without adding any carb load.

There are other non-nutritive sweeteners as well, other than aspartame (stevia, etc.), if you can't tolerate sucralose. Personally, I can't stand the taste of stevia, even in low concentrations.

Slightly higher numbers in morning is your liver, which acts as a storehouse for blood sugar, dumping some of the stores in to your blood stream for fuel to "prime your engine" as you wake up and do your routine before breakfast.

Lifestyle wise, being more aware of your carbohydrate per meal or serving you ingest, total calories through the day, and increasing exercise frequency and duration, all will have a positive effect. If it helps you to maintain a food/exercise diary so you can be accountable to yourself, they do work if you keep up with it. MyFitnessPlanner.com is one good example.

Also, that you caught this trend early and are starting to do something about it is very good. Hopefully with good changes in eating and fitness, you can reverse the trend and avoid the long term ill affects and medications.

Can you stand the taste of sucralose? I do have cereals in the morning that contain some sugar, and of course fruits. But for snacking, if I want more sweetness in anything, I add Splenda. I can certainly tell the difference from sugar, but in low concentrations, it satisfies my sweet tooth without adding any carb load.

There are other non-nutritive sweeteners as well, other than aspartame (stevia, etc.), if you can't tolerate sucralose. Personally, I can't stand the taste of stevia, even in low concentrations.

No, unfortunately I can’t stand the taste of any of the artificial sweeteners.

No, unfortunately I can’t stand the taste of any of the artificial sweeteners.
Same with me.... and I think it's because at the age of four or five, my mom let me have a taste of the diet Fresca she was drinking. Gawd that was horrible.

I have tried a bit of the others, pink, yellow, and the other one... still major bleh! for me.

I can sympathize, since the only one I can stand really is sucralose. The others all taste horrible to me. The worst of all IMO is saccharin... yuck!

Might want to seek the advice of a real doc for this

So my last couple blood tests my fasting blood sugar was a little high 105ish. So doc did an A1C and it was like 5.6 I think. Got the typical loose weight get more exercise talk.

I recently decided to get a blood glucose meter just to check things out and although I just started using it the numbers are interesting.

- So before dinner yesterday 90
- 2 hours after dinner yesterday 109
- When I woke up this morning (took it three times because the numbers didn't seem right) 116, 123, 103 (Obviously some error in the meter as well it is a Contour Next).
- 2.5 hours after breakfast 105
- Right before lunch 90
- One hour after lunch 119

So question is why so high when I wake up and I always get my blood drawn for physicals first thing in the morning which makes sense why it has been high then as well.

Texted a doctor friend he said maybe Somogyi effect? Also saw references to Dawn Phenomenon? Do these happen with people with otherwise "relatively normal" blood sugar numbers? I assume in either case these effect your A1C since your blood sugar levels are higher on average even if for a short time.

Hey anonymous!

You failed to mention if you are taking any antihyperglycemic medication. And if so, what blood sugar lowering medication type. However, assuming you are not taking any medication, (and probably even if you are taking meds).... your blood sugar numbers are absolutely within normal values. Do not overthink this, remember there is something called “lab error”. Your A1C is below 6 and therefore also WNL. Your MD’s advice, i.e. eat right, exercise and loose weight is spot on.

E B Ferrer, MD
CAPT (Flight Surgeon) USN, ret.

Thanks for the input. No medications for blood sugar. I do get some exercise although not as much as I would like and definitely need to shed a few pounds. I am due for another annual physical in a few months. I will see if I can make some improvements and reduce some of my doctors well deserved lectures. :D

Hey anonymous!

You failed to mention if you are taking any antihyperglycemic medication. And if so, what blood sugar lowering medication type. However, assuming you are not taking any medication, (and probably even if you are taking meds).... your blood sugar numbers are absolutely within normal values. Do not overthink this, remember there is something called “lab error”. Your A1C is below 6 and therefore also WNL. Your MD’s advice, i.e. eat right, exercise and loose weight is spot on.

E B Ferrer, MD
CAPT (Flight Surgeon) USN, ret.

i would also add to consider what meds you are taking that can cause hyperglycemia. Bp Meds such as hydrochlorothiazide can cause mild hyperglycemia.

i would also add to consider what meds you are taking that can cause hyperglycemia. Bp Meds such as hydrochlorothiazide can cause mild hyperglycemia.

Interesting possibility or at least something to consider I do take hydrochlorothiazide. I will mention it to the doctor see what he thinks when I am there.

Interesting possibility or at least something to consider I do take hydrochlorothiazide. I will mention it to the doctor see what he thinks when I am there.
In medicine I often stop and ask myself “what am I doing to create this complaint or problem”. It is surprising how often you can find the solution!

In medicine I often stop and ask myself “what am I doing to create this complaint or problem”. It is surprising how often you can find the solution!
Glad you do. Some docs do NOT take that attitude and just throw more pills at it. Sometimes they just won't listen to one's complaint about drug toxicity - I had to be assertive with mine over one BP drug.... I insisted on an alternative which has improved things dramatically.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back