Blood Pressure Meds

U

Unregistered

What is the most-accepted BP med?

I understand it is not a big problem if used, effective and well tolerated. Yes/no?

BP meds are far less of a problem than hypertension. However, this is a discussion you should have with your physician, and not a bunch of strangers on the internet. What makes any given drug effective is desired action vs. side effects. What determines which drug will achieve effectiveness is a combination of genetics and physiology. What works in one individual may not in another. Your best bet is to get together with your physician and see what works. There are a number of medications on the market, with luck you can find something that works for you.

Yes as long as it's under control (hypertension) and your Dr provides your lab results basically to the Dr who does your physical, who in turn writes a letter to accompany your flight physical. Not a big deal at all as long as it's under control.

Last edited:
Yeah, that. And that too.

Health first, then certificate.

That said, I've had no issues getting my medicals for 12 years now on different combinations of BP meds BECAUSE my BP is well controlled. (Med changes had more to do with my changing conditions like losing 60 lbs.)

John

+1 to what the others have said in respect to health first, certificate later.

AOPA maintains a database of medications and their acceptance status with the FAA. Before filling any prescription, you can check that database. If any specific questions, then proceed to your AME.

If your doctor has prescribed something that the FAA isn't accepting, don't fill the scrip. Go back to the treating physician and explore alternatives. It's possible one exists but wasn't part of your doc's normal routine.

And get it recorded in your chart you returned the scrip unfilled.

Last edited:
Most likely you can control your BP by just losing a little weight and exercising. BP medicine does have side effects (erection problems, dizziness, constipation, rashes) and some studies suggest they actually increase the risk for stroke and heart trouble. So if you can avoid the big pharma solution (they love to get you hooked on drugs) and do it naturally, that's the best way.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/05/150529193554.htm

Is there some paper work that needs to be done with the doctor, like a chart that shows before and after readings, that needs to go in with the AME?

Is there some paper work that needs to be done with the doctor, like a chart that shows before and after readings, that needs to go in with the AME?

Yep as I explained above in my prior post. Basically your regular Doc gets you under control, periodic BP readings, and lab results, etc that you take to your AME.

I have to agree with the poster who said BP can be controlled by lifestyle. This is the preferable way to go about it. But if it isn't going to happen, get on meds. Don't let something like hypertension go uncontrolled. You won't like the results one bit.

Yep as I explained above in my prior post. Basically your regular Doc gets you under control, periodic BP readings, and lab results, etc that you take to your AME.

Search the AME Guide for Hypertension and you'll find the info to bring to the AME.

If your BP is in the low end of the yellow arc, you can get this done via the CACI.

But anything going on with elevated blood pressure needs to be addressed quickly and thoroughly. There is ongoing damage to various systems that can become a major time bomb if you don't get a handle on it and improve it.

I'm of the opinion that BP meds are a last resort you're going to die otherwise option. I kill myself with two hours in the gym every day and 80 mile bike rides on the weekend to avoid them.

I'm of the opinion that BP meds are a last resort you're going to die otherwise option. I kill myself with two hours in the gym every day and 80 mile bike rides on the weekend to avoid them.

So what is your BP when you get to the hamburger stand with the cute counter girl?

I was in the same boat with hypertension and was prescribed a few different Beta Blockers and the only one that I could tolerate for more than a month was Atenolol (which was on the FAA approved list) but even then I could not stand up quick in the morning without falling over, and my anxiety was through the roof.

Three generations of men in my family died of heart disease so I got serious and studied to fix my problem without medication.
Here are the big changes I made to go from 165/100 to 110/75 and maybe it will help others research and fix some hypertension.

1) Got an IgE Antibody Blood Allergy test to help pinpoint what foods I was allergic to and unfortunately Yeast is something my body gets really ****ed off when I consume, especially my favorite "Brewers yeast" So when I cut out Beer for 2 or so weeks my blood pressure will drop with no other changes and go back up with a weekend that includes beer.

2) Exercise, yes this has to be a part of it, so I got a heart rate monitor and started doing zone work outs that only focus on raising my rate and recovering. This could be hiking, rowing, stepper, tennis ect.

3) Fluid - I was constantly dehydrated so now I make sure to drink 2500-3000ml every day of just pure UN-adulterated water.

4) Last but one of the most important items ""Sodium""....Not cutting it out but Balancing it with potassium. This one really ticks me off how many people/doctors say just reduce sodium but dont know about balancing potassium. Make your potassium intake 2x sodium intake IE 2000mg sodium needs to have 4000mg of potassium to balance cells and fluid transfer.

This one made the biggest drop in blood pressure along with the proper hydration. But it is was hardest cause the western diet is so loaded with sodium that you cannot eat enough potassium rich foods like bananas, potatoes, oranges to counter act the typical burger from a restaurant. So yes you have to cut some out.

I understand it may not work for all, but it did for me and hopefully it will help someone else.

Last edited:
Some BP meds are not on the approved list. The most common ones (diuretics, ACE-inhibitors, CCBs, BBs etc) shouldn't be a problem, but the ones that act on the central nervous system are a problem.

Each person reacts differently to different BP meds - an ACE inhibitor may work well on one person, but be totally ineffective on another.

Work with your doc, but pull a copy of the approved medications from AOPA before you go in. They see if you can find a combo of meds from the approved list that will work. 3 drugs or less should be an easy in-office issue (provided that the drugs are approved and other conditions are met).

A common combo approach is BP + Cholesterol meds.

I'm on Lisinopril and Pravastatin. First time in after getting those, AME just double checked the BP worksheet my regular doc filled out to make sure I met the standard. I did. And each time since then, it's just been a review of the status letter and all's well.

A common combo approach is BP + Cholesterol meds.

I'm on Lisinopril and Pravastatin. First time in after getting those, AME just double checked the BP worksheet my regular doc filled out to make sure I met the standard. I did. And each time since then, it's just been a review of the status letter and all's well.
AggieMike88,
I am on Lotensin which is an ACE-Inhibitor and is approved on the FAA list. I'm working on getting a new 3rd class medical. I also have Asthma which I have posted some questions about on here.
I did report the hypertension for my last medical in 2014 and I had to send a letter from my Doc stated I was stable on the Lotensin and also 3 blood separate day blood pressure test results within 7 days. Since then I've seen there is a BP worksheet that you referred to filled out by my Doc. I believe I can meet all the requirements on the BP worksheet. Do you think there is any other information I need to bring to the AME such as another 3 test in 7 days?

Why not why not call the AME and ask him? If he or she is worth having the designation on the shingle, the providing a consultation on your situation before doing the live exam should be SOP.

I was prescribed lisinopril-hydrochlorothiazide before my last medical exam and my AME never even asked for lab results or anything from my doctor. He just verified that my blood pressure was under the limit.

I was prescribed lisinopril-hydrochlorothiazide before my last medical exam and my AME never even asked for lab results or anything from my doctor. He just verified that my blood pressure was under the limit.
You are young. Get the normal EKG on record.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back