Blood Pressure Medicine & Your Medical

The last time I saw you looked great (not that I want to go pick put curtains or anything...). I hope you can keep up the effort and reach your goal. Got three to go myself, though I don't think the loss will cure the BP issues I've been facing. It'll be a constant issue for me. I so much as look at a Chicklet and I gain a couple pounds.
I think you have seen me both before and after my 60 lb weight loss. I gained back 15 lbs but am back on my sensible diet. I intend to lose 15 to 20 lbs by the end of the year. Today for lunch I will have deli peppered turkey, celery and broccoli and a low fat cheese stick.

I think you have seen me both before and after my 60 lb weight loss. I gained back 15 lbs but am back on my sensible diet. I intend to lose 15 to 20 lbs by the end of the year. Today for lunch I will have deli peppered turkey, celery and broccoli and a low fat cheese stick.

Tuna salad on home-made sourdough bran bread and some veggies here.

"100 pounds and an airplane"

I am on a mission to loose 100 pounds which would put me 35 pounds under when I last flew 20 years ago and about what I weighed in high school.

As of this morning I am exactly 1/3 of the way there 80 days in. So pretty pleased with the progress. I do need to up the exercise some I have a pretty sedentary job (IT) I walk to work often and walk around campus when I can. Hunting season is coming and that gets me out and about quite a bit more and I usually lose weight this time of year anyway.

BP has been decent, taking it every day since reading these threads been 130/80(treated) pretty consistently. Last night was 124/80 resting heartbeat 64 just now.

I told my wife, "I am going to lose 100 pounds and buy an airplane." BUT there is one small problem. While I am 1/3 of the way on the weight loss I don't have 1/3 of the money put away for the plane at this point.:(

Gary, Michael, and Bruce, sorry you couldn't make it to 6Y9! Gary, you looked great last year! 60 lbs is some significant weight loss. I'm in a support group led by PJ, and that helps.

Didn't get breakfast this AM (lack of time; not intentionally skipping). Sushi/sashimi combo for lunch.

Have been exercising for years and have dropped 20 lbs last year.had my physical today and BP was a little higher than I liked 140/ 82 .Doc said I should watch it.going to look at my diet and for sure keep up the exercise.

Gary, Michael, and Bruce, sorry you couldn't make it to 6Y9!

You have my apologies. I just couldn't intentionally keep the aircraft out when it was previously reserved. Just not in me. I'm happy so many aircraft showed up though.

Gary, Michael, and Bruce, sorry you couldn't make it to 6Y9! Gary, you looked great last year! 60 lbs is some significant weight loss. I'm in a support group led by PJ, and that helps.

Didn't get breakfast this AM (lack of time; not intentionally skipping). Sushi/sashimi combo for lunch.
I had to work until well into the afternoon both Saturday and Sunday. Maybe next year. We still use your jambalaya recipe from Oshkosh but I am now restricting carbs including white rice. I might try it with a little brown rice.

I lost 80 pounds between my physical in 2011 and the one in 2013. Yet my bp didn't change much, it was still near 140/90 on both physicals (with medication).

It runs lower when I measure it at home.

I blame the Illuminati.

The really bad thing about all these meds is they are causing a plague, a plague of humanity. As the Dali Lama said in New Orleans recently, "As Buddhists we believe that all life is precious, the problem is there is just too much precious life." Why can't we just let people die?

The really bad thing about all these meds is they are causing a plague, a plague of humanity. As the Dali Lama said in New Orleans recently, "As Buddhists we believe that all life is precious, the problem is there is just too much precious life." Why can't we just let people die?

So you have never and will never use medical care to save your life?

So you have never and will never use medical care to save your life?

Actually, reasonably correct. I don't take cholesterol meds even though my numbers have always been high. I had a calcium heart scan done and have zero plaque buildup. I have had surgeries, but they were not for life threatening conditions. My BP runs around 112/60, I just tend not to worry about things too much. I will die when I die, if that is tomorrow or 50 years from now, I don't much care, although I don't think I really want to be around 50 years from now, the world, if mankind makes it that far, at the current rate will be an awful place.

A plague huh??? I'm very glad that you are not running things, I've watched your posts through the years I've lurked on these boards, you seem like an intelligent, likable guy, but as I said, I'm glad you don't run things because that POV is out there. Not really interested in mixing it up with you, but just wanted to let you know that I think you are in the minority with your thinking and I'm very glad that's the case. The scary thing about people who think as you do is when they decide this "problem" needs to be solved, they begin to take it upon themselves to decide which "plague" members get to continue on and which don't deserve to be here, not saying you would do this, but there are always those who will.

I guess the fact that you had the calcium scan done means you aren't as serious about this "plague" issue and the medical practice as you let on.

A plague huh??? I'm very glad that you are not running things, I've watched your posts through the years I've lurked on these boards, you seem like an intelligent, likable guy, but as I said, I'm glad you don't run things because that POV is out there. Not really interested in mixing it up with you, but just wanted to let you know that I think you are in the minority with your thinking and I'm very glad that's the case. The scary thing about people who think as you do is when they decide this "problem" needs to be solved, they begin to take it upon themselves to decide which "plague" members get to continue on and which don't deserve to be here, not saying you would do this, but there are always those who will.

I guess the fact that you had the calcium scan done means you aren't as serious about this "plague" issue and the medical practice as you let on.

We are a plague, read the definition, we use resource voraciously with no regard to the consequence. My choice to cure the issue would be to look to the future and reinvest to assure the provision of resource and the export of the species. The problem is the people who run the world don't want to reinvest, they just want to consume voraciously. I won't have to do anything for population extermination, continuation of status quo will solve the problem all on its own, and it won't be pretty. Pretty much why I didn't have children and I really don't care about life extending. In fact, I am curious enough about death that I really have no desire to extend my life beyond what nature intended, IF that is even possible. As a fatalist, I have my doubts about the efficacy of the attempts. I did the CHS out of curiosity as much as anything since I was being told by a physician about what the conditions of my arteries most likely was, it surprised him as well. The other reason I am resistant to cholesterol meds is I am doing a little long term experiment of my own. Both my paternal Grandfather, father, and Maternal Grandmother (Maternal Grandfather died on the Eastern Front in WWII) suffered from Alzheimer's, the were/are on cholesterol meds. My mother, not on cholesterol meds, is still very clear minded at 77. Since I do not suffer from the greatest risk of high cholesterol, I really don't care to take the meds and would rather see if I can avoid Alzheimer's, it's not particularly pretty. To me, medicine should center on Quality of Life, not Quantity. There is no doubt whatsoever that I will die regardless of how long I can be kept living, so I don't worry about dying. I will use medicine to try to keep a reasonable quality of life until that point.

We are a plague, read the definition, we use resource voraciously with no regard to the consequence. My choice to cure the issue would be to look to the future and reinvest to assure the provision of resource and the export of the species. If I was running things I'd be shooting for Star Trek, we're heading for Mad Max as it is. The problem is the people who run the world don't want to reinvest, they just want to consume voraciously. I won't have to do anything for population extermination, continuation of status quo will solve the problem all on its own, and it won't be pretty. Pretty much why I didn't have children and I really don't care about life extending. In fact, I am curious enough about death that I really have no desire to extend my life beyond what nature intended, IF that is even possible. As a fatalist, I have my doubts about the efficacy of the attempts. I did the CHS out of curiosity as much as anything since I was being told by a physician about what the conditions of my arteries most likely was, it surprised him as well and finally shut him up and he no longer threatens my ENG-1 medical unless I get on the meds. The other reason I am resistant to cholesterol meds is I am doing a little long term experiment of my own. My paternal Grandfather, father, and Maternal Grandmother (Maternal Grandfather died on the Eastern Front in WWII) suffered from Alzheimer's, the were/are on cholesterol meds. My mother, not on cholesterol meds, is still very clear minded at 77. Since I do not suffer from the greatest risk of high cholesterol, I really don't care to take the meds and would rather see if I can avoid Alzheimer's, it's not particularly pretty. To me, medicine should center on Quality of Life, not Quantity. There is no doubt whatsoever that I will die regardless of how long I can be kept living, so I don't worry about dying. I will use medicine to try to keep a reasonable quality of life until that point.

Last edited:
We are a plague, read the definition, we use resource voraciously with no regard to the consequence. My choice to cure the issue would be to look to the future and reinvest to assure the provision of resource and the export of the species. If I was running things I'd be shooting for Star Trek, we're heading for Mad Max as it is. The problem is the people who run the world don't want to reinvest, they just want to consume voraciously. I won't have to do anything for population extermination, continuation of status quo will solve the problem all on its own, and it won't be pretty. Pretty much why I didn't have children and I really don't care about life extending. In fact, I am curious enough about death that I really have no desire to extend my life beyond what nature intended, IF that is even possible. As a fatalist, I have my doubts about the efficacy of the attempts. I did the CHS out of curiosity as much as anything since I was being told by a physician about what the conditions of my arteries most likely was, it surprised him as well and finally shut him up and he no longer threatens my ENG-1 medical unless I get on the meds. The other reason I am resistant to cholesterol meds is I am doing a little long term experiment of my own. My paternal Grandfather, father, and Maternal Grandmother (Maternal Grandfather died on the Eastern Front in WWII) suffered from Alzheimer's, the were/are on cholesterol meds. My mother, not on cholesterol meds, is still very clear minded at 77. Since I do not suffer from the greatest risk of high cholesterol, I really don't care to take the meds and would rather see if I can avoid Alzheimer's, it's not particularly pretty. To me, medicine should center on Quality of Life, not Quantity. There is no doubt whatsoever that I will die regardless of how long I can be kept living, so I don't worry about dying. I will use medicine to try to keep a reasonable quality of life until that point.

Well, I certainly don't want to criticize or second guess your life decisions and I think you should have, as everyone else should, every right to choose your care as you wish. I understand what a plague is and I respectfully disagree with your assessment. It seems that is a popular progressive tenet these days, that the human race is a parasite upon this planet and needs to be controlled. I think most of the issues we have today can be traced back to a basic lack of respect for human life. I don't think this is an innate behavior, but more a learned thing. And I think there are many more good people in this world than bad. I have to tell you that I'm disheartened that your plague belief has caused you to decide not to have children, what little I know of you I think you would be a good dad (less the fatalistic stuff).

I have a friend who felt the same way about Chol. meds, and did not treat high numbers, everything else was good. Last year, at 50, he had pains and took two days before he went in, doctor told him he was less than 24 hours away from the big one with the widow maker artery 99% blocked. A stent, blood thinners, a beta blocker and chlor. meds and he is back to normal, now a believer in statins.

I'm not afraid of death, but I have to tell you I am afraid of a heart attack or a stroke that isn't fatal but permanently debilitating, 15 years in a wheelchair with a drool cup when a little pill once a day may have helped, I'll take the pill. My feeling is that 9 times out of 10 these drugs are a quality of life proposal.

Anyway, we are on the same page in some things, I agree with the star trek idea, I think our space program has been seriously sidetracked. I also have a huge problem with the 10's or 100's of billions that is being spent on unworkable solutions to alternate energy, but that is fodder for another day.

I look at BP meds like Marvel Mystery Oil. It certainly doesn't hurt anything, and it makes you feel good using it. And it just might help things last longer. ;)

Well, I certainly don't want to criticize or second guess your life decisions and I think you should have, as everyone else should, every right to choose your care as you wish. I understand what a plague is and I respectfully disagree with your assessment. It seems that is a popular progressive tenet these days, that the human race is a parasite upon this planet and needs to be controlled. I think most of the issues we have today can be traced back to a basic lack of respect for human life. I don't think this is an innate behavior, but more a learned thing. And I think there are many more good people in this world than bad. I have to tell you that I'm disheartened that your plague belief has caused you to decide not to have children, what little I know of you I think you would be a good dad (less the fatalistic stuff).

I have a friend who felt the same way about Chol. meds, and did not treat high numbers, everything else was good. Last year, at 50, he had pains and took two days before he went in, doctor told him he was less than 24 hours away from the big one with the widow maker artery 99% blocked. A stent, blood thinners, a beta blocker and chlor. meds and he is back to normal, now a believer in statins.

I'm not afraid of death, but I have to tell you I am afraid of a heart attack or a stroke that isn't fatal but permanently debilitating, 15 years in a wheelchair with a drool cup when a little pill once a day may have helped, I'll take the pill. My feeling is that 9 times out of 10 these drugs are a quality of life proposal.

Anyway, we are on the same page in some things, I agree with the star trek idea, I think our space program has been seriously sidetracked. I also have a huge problem with the 10's or 100's of billions that is being spent on unworkable solutions to alternate energy, but that is fodder for another day.

Having 99% blocked arteries is not "everything good". I will continue to get the CHS on a biennial basis as it's the deal I made to keep my Dr off my back and keep him issuing my ENG-1 medical. After the O% blockage, he agrees there is no real reason for me to take the meds. The test only costs $100. In the crap shoot between between a stroke and Alzheimer's leaving me with a drool cup, at this point I'll continue my bet.

As far as humanity goes, there definitely are more good people than bad, the problem is the majority of them are stupid and lazy and abdicate control and leadership to the evil and greedy because they tell them what they want to hear and make sure they can get a 46" TV for $250 and have 1000 channels of mind numbing programing on it. My industry, yachting, has me working for the people the masses abdicate to and try to emulate, and I can tell you, they don't care about anyone but themselves. They even joke about how the future is going to have a hell of a time paying for their lifestyle. This attitude trickles down into the general society as we can plainly see. Everybody is always "what's in it for me?"

Last edited:
Having 99% blocked arteries is not "everything good". I will continue to get the CHS on a biennial basis as it's the deal I made to keep my Dr off my back and keep him issuing my ENG-1 medical. After the O% blockage, he agrees there is no real reason for me to take the meds. The test only costs $100. In the crap shoot between between a stroke and Alzheimer's leaving me with a drool cup, at this point I'll continue my bet.

As far as humanity goes, there definitely are more good people than bad, the problem is the majority of them are stupid and lazy and abdicate control and leadership to the evil and greedy because they tell them what they want to hear and make sure they can get a 46" TV for $250 and have 1000 channels of mind numbing programing on it. My industry, yachting, has me working for the people the masses abdicate to and try to emulate, and I can tell you, they don't care about anyone but themselves. They even joke about how the future is going to have a hell of a time paying for their lifestyle. This attitude trickles down into the general society as we can plainly see. Everybody is always "what's in it for me?"

What I meant was that all his other indicators were normal in the many years before his heart attack. I'm not a doctor, but your approach sounds ok, the only thing I would do different is take the statin, as I do now, they are not a big deal, but to each his own.

I guess I can understand your cynicism based on your industry, boating seems to attract more than its fair share of aholes, I can only imagine what yachts attract. Many of those people seem to leverage their way into their lifestyle only to have it blow up on them sooner or later, they are not all filthy rich, if that matters. And I can't disagree with your assessment of the masses, there are people who seem to want the easy way out, but not everybody. I still think the "what's in it for me" folks are in the minority, but maybe I'm too much an optimist. Anyway have a nice night...

What I meant was that all his other indicators were normal in the many years before his heart attack. I'm not a doctor, but your approach sounds ok, the only thing I would do different is take the statin, as I do now, they are not a big deal, but to each his own.

I guess I can understand your cynicism based on your industry, boating seems to attract more than its fair share of aholes, I can only imagine what yachts attract. Many of those people seem to leverage their way into their lifestyle only to have it blow up on them sooner or later, they are not all filthy rich, if that matters. And I can't disagree with your assessment of the masses, there are people who seem to want the easy way out, but not everybody. I still think the "what's in it for me" folks are in the minority, but maybe I'm too much an optimist. Anyway have a nice night...

Many of the ones I deal with are indeed filthy rich. They are the ones who profit off the very rich by creating the conditions that blow up in their faces turning them into the poor to fairly rich, of which have also been my clients. I've been watching this soap opera for 20 years feeding off the crumbs. Either you are optimistic or I am pessimistic. When I look at the general state of the world, I don't feel overly pessimistic. To exemplify the "what's in it for me" attitude, just look into Spin Zone. It is the majority, and the problem with a democratic capitalistic society, greed will always control social and political policy, it's just the nature of man and has been since the beginning of recorded history, that's why every religion has always failed at its primary goal of social harmony and we have been at war forever.

...As far as humanity goes, there definitely are more good people than bad, the problem is the majority of them are stupid and lazy and abdicate control and leadership to the evil and greedy because they tell them what they want to hear and make sure they can get a 46" TV for $250 and have 1000 channels of mind numbing programing on it...

Karl Marx wrote that religion is "the opium of the people," but it turned out to be television instead.

Karl Marx wrote that religion is "the opium of the people," but it turned out to be television instead.

TV is far worse than opium, it actively brainwashes doing a better job than Mao's reeducation camps could dream of.

:mad2:

Guys, this is an informative thread, in the medical section, about blood pressure meds and your medical.

Talk about thread drift! :rolleyes:

Yes, I am the thread police. :no: :lol:

Last edited:
Nah. beating his head like that, he's probably got a subdural hematoma. That's evacuation of the clot and cognitive testing before pilot return to service.....

See? We raised your blood pressure. :)

Nah. beating his head like that, he's probably got a subdural hematoma. That's evacuation of the clot and cognitive testing before pilot return to service.....

:lol:

Okay, DR B, & DR G, I took your advice and saw my GP. She did extensive blood work, and put me on a low sodium, high exercise diet. I have lost 4 pounds so far and another 6 will gone in 2 months, then she will look to see if meds are needed. Every 2 weeks she wants my daily BP record.

Seems reasonable to me, how about you? I'm 145 / 95 in the am, and 125 / 80 in the evening. :dunno:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back