Blood pressure high on medical exam..what happens then?

RocktheWings

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
RocktheWings
What happens if I go to get my medical and my blood pressure doesn't cooperate that day? I've been to my primary multiple times, and it always seems to spike while I'm at the doctor's office. The doctor, reluctant to prescribe me medication at such a young age, asks that I monitor at home to ensure it reads normal over a period. I do, and sure enough it ranges anywhere from 115-130, depending on time of day, with the the occasional spikes here and there, but averaging 125/75 I'd say. Doctor says, great, no need for medication, go enjoy life.

Now comes medical time, I go in, blood pressure spikes above 155 because I'm nervous (because I mean who wouldn't be if your career relies on some old BP machine) and then what?

As a note too, health being a big concern of mine, have even gone to a cardiologist to get his opinion. They ran all sorts of tests, EKG, etc, and he even said there's no way I'd put you on medication, you worry too much.

Do I bite the bullet and just go with the BP medication even tho its ill advised with my doctors just to ensure the medical each time...or play russian roulette with my career each time with the AME.

Ask that the blood pressure is taken at the end of the appointment. I also have "white coat syndrome". Partly because my Dr is on the 2nd floor and I use the stairs. There goes my BP!

That actually happened on an exam 6 or 7 years ago, was high, and came down on second attempt. I can just see my body reacting on try #2 as "this is it, do or die, it all comes down to this!!!!!!!!" and really showing some impressive numbers at that point.

Make sure the doctor uses proper technique. In years of going to medical facilities, I can count the number of times my blood pressure tested properly on one hand. The sad part is most of the errors pile up on the high side.

Tylenol PM....don't ask me how I know.:)

I had the same fear. I don’t think it will spike that much higher than your norm.

As an alternate option, if your BP is averaging close to the FAA limit when not at the doctor, strongly consider going back to your regular Doctor to more seriously investigate BP lowering methods including meds. I spent too much time resisting doing so and am very happy now to be on FAA approved BP meds while continuing to work on my diet and exercise. As my Doctor told me, if your BP can be caused to spike that easily it is probably higher than normal more often than just in the Doctor's office. Getting a medical while on BP meds is no hassle at all.

My BP (and perhaps most people) tends to be higher in the morning. There are ways to bring it down. Obviously no caffeine, but a bottle of water early (good hydration is needed always) and 30 minutes or so on the treadmill (or around the block) tends to get the BP to come down. Work up a good sweat before you go see the doc. BTW ... taking sodium out of your diet will help tremendously.

A friend had them take his while he laid on his side. Said it worked ... not sure how that happened.

Prevailing wisdom in medical community is to steer away from meds for BP. They are recommending more exercise and change in diet. Specific recommendations are adopt the DASH diet and have a minimum of 5000 steps measured on the health meter of every iPhone.

This approach actually makes more sense. FIX the problem instead of medicate it.

Drink a strong camomile tea before the appointment. Naturally relaxing and does not affect eye sight.

+1 agree totally with atbroome. Much better to catch it early and treat(with whatever means) than to wait. Especially now when blood pressure that is considered borderline for the FAA is much higher than what is ideal(120/70 or less). If you want to fly for a long time, get BP to ideal, as well as weight, cholesterol/triglycerides, and exercise.

...blood pressure spikes above 155 because I'm nervous (because I mean who wouldn't be if your career relies on some old BP machine) and then what?

Do you think you'll be less nervous during an IFE? Of course you could just plan to not stroke out in the Dr's office or during stressful parts of flight.

In my AME visit, they took my BP after 10 mins, it was higher than my usual range, the AME took again after the exam and some chit chat, it showed within my normal range, actually less than what i usually see when I visit my primary.

Now, when I visit the dentist, my BP is through the roof, what can I say.... I don’t like other people handling sharp objects inside my mouth when I am not in control

Prevailing wisdom in medical community is to steer away from meds for BP. They are recommending more exercise and change in diet. Specific recommendations are adopt the DASH diet and have a minimum of 5000 steps measured on the health meter of every iPhone.

This approach actually makes more sense. FIX the problem instead of medicate it.

Drink a strong camomile tea before the appointment. Naturally relaxing and does not affect eye sight.
Prevailing wisdom is to get on the meds and get it under control while you take the other measures. I just stopped taking my meds after slowly reducing them while losing nearly 60 pounds.

Buy a machine and start taking readings a couple times a day, write them down, bring them with you. If they are high, go on medicine, it's no big deal. Pay no attention to those who say it is.

What happens if I go to get my medical and my blood pressure doesn't cooperate that day? I've been to my primary multiple times, and it always seems to spike while I'm at the doctor's office. The doctor, reluctant to prescribe me medication at such a young age, asks that I monitor at home to ensure it reads normal over a period. I do, and sure enough it ranges anywhere from 115-130, depending on time of day, with the the occasional spikes here and there, but averaging 125/75 I'd say. Doctor says, great, no need for medication, go enjoy life.

Now comes medical time, I go in, blood pressure spikes above 155 because I'm nervous (because I mean who wouldn't be if your career relies on some old BP machine) and then what?

As a note too, health being a big concern of mine, have even gone to a cardiologist to get his opinion. They ran all sorts of tests, EKG, etc, and he even said there's no way I'd put you on medication, you worry too much.

Do I bite the bullet and just go with the BP medication even tho its ill advised with my doctors just to ensure the medical each time...or play russian roulette with my career each time with the AME.

my BP does the same thing. i always ask the doc to re-take the BP at the end of the visit. the second time is always in the “normal” range. suggest you do the same.

In my AME visit, they took my BP after 10 mins, it was higher than my usual range, the AME took again after the exam and some chit chat, it showed within my normal range, actually less than what i usually see when I visit my primary.

Now, when I visit the dentist, my BP is through the roof, what can I say.... I don’t like other people handling sharp objects inside my mouth when I am not in control
A few years ago I had knee surgery. Hooked up to the BP monitor, which I could watch over my shoulder. While they were inserting the line in my arm, the BP went up to 240....needless to say the nurse started panicking..."No worries, stop inflicting pain and it comes right down" Sure enough, within 90 seconds of finally getting the line in, back down to a very reasonable level. I'm incredibly difficult to get blood or insert a line. Doesn't matter how much water I drink, always a problem. And then there's the smartaleck who says "no problem, I can get a blood draw from you" at which point I ask for a phlebotomist, not you. You get one stick with me, then I'm out the door.

Buy a machine and start taking readings a couple times a day, write them down, bring them with you. If they are high, go on medicine, it's no big deal. Pay no attention to those who say it is.

I agree with buying a good machine and taking readings several times a day. But I disagree with BP medicine being no big deal and to pay no attention to anyone saying likewise. Bad advice.

Your statement may be true for you but some people do have side effects from BP medicine. When my BP started creeping up I went to see the doc. He said that he could fix it with medicine or I could fix it with a lifestyle change. He gave me some of the possible side effects and then said if I wanted to take care of it that I should lose weight (20 lbs), get some exercise (30 minutes a day on the treadmill), and get off the sodium (I target for no more than 1500 milligrams per day). I also cut back on my caffeine intake. It worked!

To say, "If they are high, go on medicine, it's no big deal" is to bypass the best option for better health and longer life. I do understand that for some taking BP meds are necessary but for many it provides a way to avoid doing what is needed to have better health overall.

YMMV ... but I doubt it!

You get one stick with me, then I'm out the door.

I'm with ya! I hate the ones that stick the IV under the skin and start digging around for a vein. I'm pretty easy to stick but I've had to tell a few ... you need to get someone else cause you ain't the one.

I believe the advice being given by me and others is to start with meds while at the same time starting on diet/lifestyle and work yourself off the meds. That time you are working on lifestyle with no meds is area under the curve you could have eliminated. As meds go, the side effects for most BP meds are on the mild side. Which meds and side effects were of concern to you and your Doctor?

I agree with buying a good machine and taking readings several times a day. But I disagree with BP medicine being no big deal and to pay no attention to anyone saying likewise. Bad advice.

Your statement may be true for you but some people do have side effects from BP medicine. When my BP started creeping up I went to see the doc. He said that he could fix it with medicine or I could fix it with a lifestyle change. He gave me some of the possible side effects and then said if I wanted to take care of it that I should lose weight (20 lbs), get some exercise (30 minutes a day on the treadmill), and get off the sodium (I target for no more than 1500 milligrams per day). I also cut back on my caffeine intake. It worked!

To say, "If they are high, go on medicine, it's no big deal" is to bypass the best option for better health and longer life. I do understand that for some taking BP meds are necessary but for many it provides a way to avoid doing what is needed to have better health overall.

YMMV ... but I doubt it!

YMMV ... but I doubt it!

Been on them for years, no big deal, no side effects. I do the exercise, rode my bike 26 miles today, and diet stuff (still do) and it didn't work (hereditary), or didn't work well enough. The drugs are much better than the inevitable coronary or stroke that I probably would have had by now. If you get side effects there are many drugs to try. I questioned the side effects when I started, I had a smart doc, he told me "those are other people's side effects, not yours.... if you do have an issue, call me and we'll deal with it." Never had an issue.

I was like Murphey, although not near that high. I'm happy with my decision as I get older, I have friends who were afraid to take care of this stuff, worried about side effects or being on drugs. They are having and have had issues (tias, coronaries, and heart failure, 3 that I can think of now), I'm in my late 50's. I'll work to put that crap off as long as I can. YMMV

Make sure the large cuff is used. Sometimes the poor person that has to take my blood pressure uses the small cuff because it is easier on their small hands.

Laying on the side to have BP taken is an old trick. If the person taking your BP says that is not the way it is done, just smile, thank them and request another BP taker.

For me, I finally went on medication. I had been borderline for years. I also did a diet change, lifestyle change and weight loss. Big difference in my BP now.

Make sure the large cuff is used. Sometimes the poor person that has to take my blood pressure uses the small cuff because it is easier on their small hands.

Laying on the side to have BP taken is an old trick. If the person taking your BP says that is not the way it is done, just smile, thank them and request another BP taker.

For me, I finally went on medication. I had been borderline for years. I also did a diet change, lifestyle change and weight loss. Big difference in my BP now.

And, don't trust those machines, if it is high on one of those, make them get a cuff, stethoscope and someone who knows how to use it to confirm the reading.

My BP was always borderline but also developed white coat syndrome over it as well. It was a couple of days after running a Marathon that I was at the docs office for a stress fracture that my BP was off the charts. Seems diet and exercise wont overcome The natural progression for some of us. Went on meds and no problems since. Weight fluctuates and level of fitness as well, but BP has been stable for 15 + years. I was happy when basic med came around as the only time it’s high is in a doctors office even with meds, but no where else.

I believe the advice being given by me and others is to start with meds while at the same time starting on diet/lifestyle and work yourself off the meds. That time you are working on lifestyle with no meds is area under the curve you could have eliminated. As meds go, the side effects for most BP meds are on the mild side. Which meds and side effects were of concern to you and your Doctor?

I never had any med concerns and have not taken any BP meds but I have family that has taken BP meds and had some side effects. I do agree that at some point they may become inevitable and that's OK too. I just was taken a bit by the statement that taking the meds was no big deal and to not listen to anybody saying otherwise. My oldest brother recently learned that taking the sodium out of his diet and getting regular exercise may allow him to soon quit his BP meds as his doctor has been impressed with his progress lately. He's a young man of 74 and had been taking meds for sometime.

Been on them for years, no big deal, no side effects. I do the exercise, rode my bike 26 miles today, and diet stuff (still do) and it didn't work (hereditary), or didn't work well enough. The drugs are much better than the inevitable coronary or stroke that I probably would have had by now. If you get side effects there are many drugs to try. I questioned the side effects when I started, I had a smart doc, he told me "those are other people's side effects, not yours.... if you do have an issue, call me and we'll deal with it." Never had an issue.

I was like Murphey, although not near that high. I'm happy with my decision as I get older, I have friends who were afraid to take care of this stuff, worried about side effects or being on drugs. They are having and have had issues (tias, coronaries, and heart failure, 3 that I can think of now), I'm in my late 50's. I'll work to put that crap off as long as I can. YMMV

Those are your results but your statement seemed to suggest that the results would be the same for all others. That's not quite true. As I mentioned a moment ago that if there is no other option then using the BP meds are wise. I would rather deal with it by changing the bad habits than covering them with meds. If I were to keep eating all the sodium I want then I could use meds to lower the pressure but the result of my poor choices that led to the need for the meds remains and that approach doesn't make much sense to me.

There are a couple folks at out airport that are over weight, quite lazy, and eat about anything a man could stomach. They take a handful of medicine every morning to fight high BP, cholesterol, etc. I don't want to live like that. I'm in my mid sixties and thank God that at this point I take no meds. I don't believe I'll be able to outrun them forever but I can give it a try. :dunno:

Back