Blood in urine?

U

Unregistered

I'm in great health except that I had blood show up in my urine test. I had trace before but now it came in at 2+. The doc told me to go get lab work done to see what it's all about, but is it possible that the test gave a false positive? Is there a way to clean out the urine so that the lab comes back good? Did I do something or eat something that could boost the level and that I should avoid?

I'm in great health except that I had blood show up in my urine test. I had trace before but now it came in at 2+. The doc told me to go get lab work done to see what it's all about, but is it possible that the test gave a false positive?
Very unlikely unless you are a menstruating female.

Is there a way to clean out the urine so that the lab comes back good? Did I do something or eat something that could boost the level and that I should avoid?

Your doctor told you that you have a problem you should get checked out. The answers to your questions are 1) probably is a way, but that would require medical treatment and 2) probably not

Go make sure you 1) don't have a urinary tract or kidney infection 2) a kidney stone or 3) bladder or renal cancer 4) something else..

You should be less concerned about a false positive test and more concerned about having a problem that needs treatment.

Rather than masking the test, you think you might want to find out what is causing it? If it comes up something terminal, then you can figure how to mask the test. Go to a doc in the box and get the work up done for cash.

I have a physical every year so I can do internal firefighting. A couple years ago we had several people at a physical (not me) get a positive for blood in the urine. Not sure if it was false positive or not but seemed odd that several people on the same night got tagged. Talk to your doc and get another test could be just a bladder infection or something similar.

Rather than masking the test, you think you might want to find out what is causing it? If it comes up something terminal, then you can figure how to mask the test. Go to a doc in the box and get the work up done for cash.

Seriously? If he's got something "terminal" he's got bigger problems than trying to lie to the FAA.

I'm the OP. I have no symptoms of anything wrong. BP 117 over 64. I had the same dipstick test done a couple of months ago for a job physical, and no problem. I have had "trace" results before a couple of times over the years.

So my question is more about if there is something that might have caused this reading that I can change. We all lose thousands of blood cells in the uring every day, so does not drinking enough water or taking the test first thing in the morning affect the concentration, or maybe eating certain foods?

As far as fooling the FAA over a urine test, why not? I'm flying the plane, not ****ing into it.

I'm the OP. I have no symptoms of anything wrong. BP 117 over 64. I had the same dipstick test done a couple of months ago for a job physical, and no problem. I have had "trace" results before a couple of times over the years.

So my question is more about if there is something that might have caused this reading that I can change. We all lose thousands of blood cells in the uring every day, so does not drinking enough water or taking the test first thing in the morning affect the concentration, or maybe eating certain foods?

As far as fooling the FAA over a urine test, why not? I'm flying the plane, not ****ing into it.

Drinking plenty of water is the key to cleaning up most pee tests.

It is usually necessary to have an appropriate evaluation for blood in the urine if it is noticed on a dipstick test.

I don't disagree, as I said, if he doesn't care, why should I? He wants to fool the test, the best way to do that is to drink a bunch of water before testing.

Final report, I'm the op and after another test with no blood at all and a blood test, they decided that it was a false positive due to taking the test first thing in the morning and while dehydrated after a week of ATV riding in the desert.

Looking online I found a lot of things that can make a false positive on the dipstick test. You pass about a million blood cells every day and if you haven't urinated a couple of times after all night asleep, they are more concentrated.

I laugh when people come her for medical advise. "Go see the f***ing doctor!" should be a sticky.

There's a difference between medical certification advice, and general medical advice. The former is thin here nowadays, and the latter is non-existent (as it should be).

I laugh when people come her for medical advise. "Go see the f***ing doctor!" should be a sticky.

There's a difference between medical certification advice, and general medical advice. The former is thin here nowadays, and the latter is non-existent (as it should be).

Seeing the doctor is good advice, but it's also good to hear from fellow pilots about the potential flight medical ramifications of any medical problems.

A trace of blood was found in my urine last September during a regular DOT exam. A repeat test in my Doctors office was negative. My Doc suggested I get a lower body scan anyway, the short story is cancer was found in one of my kidneys. Because it was found so early I had a partial nefrectomy and all is well now.
If my Doc and I had ignored the findings of that pee test, the long term prognosis would not have been good. All is stable now, and I'm about to engage with the FAA about getting my medical back. Wish me luck!
Regards
White Bear.

I thought that the only thing tested in urine, at least for a class 3 medical, was protein and glucose.

Not sure what the class 3 requirements are, but many standard urine dipsticks test all the usual suspects. So if that's what your AME has on hand, he'll see all of it. Then again, I don't know what the rule is on incidental findings -- ie could they just issue the medical and say "oh by the way, there's trace blood in your urine"?

Not sure what the class 3 requirements are, but many standard urine dipsticks test all the usual suspects. So if that's what your AME has on hand, he'll see all of it. Then again, I don't know what the rule is on incidental findings -- ie could they just issue the medical and say "oh by the way, there's trace blood in your urine"?

I thought an AME was only allowed to test for what's on the medical? I would hope he'd tell me if he sees something abnormal. Whatever else he does see would be a symptom until your own doc can make a diagnosis of what the problem really is.

I went to a good urologist when this happened on blood test primary care doctor ordered. It turned out to be nothing........this time, but much better to go than whistle in the dark or get advice on the Internet.

I'm in great health except that I had blood show up in my urine test. I had trace before but now it came in at 2+. The doc told me to go get lab work done to see what it's all about, but is it possible that the test gave a false positive? Is there a way to clean out the urine so that the lab comes back good? Did I do something or eat something that could boost the level and that I should avoid?
I have had blood in my urine since I wAs a kid. Acute Hematuria is the medical label. I have had every test under the sun. All produce a negative on each. From the Military to the Cleveland Clinc to Vanderbilt Medical Center. No reason, just Acute Hematuria. I brought the results to my Medical and he adds it to the file. Nothing stops it. It has never changed. I am breathing, 98.6 degrees, and good to go!

Unless you slept with the Fleet Groupie, you are probably experiencing Acute Hematuria. Good Luck! I have never had a Medical Doctor give me a precise answer as to why or what causes it. They just define it as "Acute Hematuria". End of story.

A trace of blood was found in my urine last September during a regular DOT exam. A repeat test in my Doctors office was negative. My Doc suggested I get a lower body scan anyway, the short story is cancer was found in one of my kidneys. Because it was found so early I had a partial nefrectomy and all is well now.
If my Doc and I had ignored the findings of that pee test, the long term prognosis would not have been good. All is stable now, and I'm about to engage with the FAA about getting my medical back. Wish me luck!
Regards
White Bear.

Good luck and glad you caught it early.

god make blood and stop signs red! I was trained to always investigate hematuria ... and i do!

OP: dehydration, and bouncing around on a 4-wheeler for a week?

Could have been rhabdomyolysis - muscle tears where the proteins to break down and damage the kidneys. It's rare, but it happens - especially with dehydration and strenuous activity. Just something to pay attention to - prolonged, it's a problem. Flushed out and retested later, it would be hard to detect unless you were looking for it specifically by monitoring kidney function.

Final report, I'm the op and after another test with no blood at all and a blood test, they decided that it was a false positive due to taking the test first thing in the morning and while dehydrated after a week of ATV riding in the desert.

Looking online I found a lot of things that can make a false positive on the dipstick test. You pass about a million blood cells every day and if you haven't urinated a couple of times after all night asleep, they are more concentrated.

Riding ATV's in the desert with the jarring can cause trace hematuria as well as dehydration. Sounds like true positive, not false positive, based on that history. Its just a transient true positive result.

And symptomless kidney cancer, the only hope for which currently is early detection and complete removal before it leaves the building.
Coulda shoulda....but I would want to KNOW, and NOW.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back