Blocked YouTube?

bnt83

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
What is the purpose of blocking YouTube videos from playing on mobile devices? :mad2:

So you will get some work done instead of sitting on your duff watching mindless videos.

What is the purpose of blocking YouTube videos from playing on mobile devices? :mad2:

Usually due to a rights claim (i.e. you used copyrighted music and the person who owns the music, while allowing you to use it in your video, prohibits mobile play due to exclusivity arrangements with other parties).

I'm guessing because the content owner doesn't generate the same amount of advertising revenue from mobile - there seems to be a lack of video and display ads on mobile youtube.

I'm guessing because the content owner doesn't generate the same amount of advertising revenue from mobile - there seems to be a lack of video and display ads on mobile youtube.

That's a summary on one side of the reason. The other side is that licensing agreements can be very specific as to the type(s) of devices that content is allowed to be played on. Some limit it to computers, while excluding set-top devices, others vice-versa, and some explicitly forbid mobile devices (often to avoid conflict with other licenses granted to streaming services, etc.). The licensing schemes can be dizzyingly complex sometimes.

I've also noticed some shenanigans going on lately involving layering PPC ads over mobile content in such a way that trying to close the ad actually generates a click. I doubt that either the publishers or the programs (Google Adsense, etc.) are too happy about this, and I suspect that the high rate of non-converting clicks that result may be another reason why many advertisers seem to shy away from the mobile market. Fewer advertisers mean lower bids, which translates to lower revenue, which makes some content simply not worth publishing on mobile.

-Rich

Other than formats that a mobile device can't play, Youtube only knows what your browser tells it. You might try an alternate browser that allows you to change the browser identification information sent to web sites.

The biggest block is that the default YouTube site uses Flash to play the videos. There are youtube apps for the iThings that don't support flash.

The biggest block is that the default YouTube site uses Flash to play the videos. There are youtube apps for the iThings that don't support flash.
That hasn't been true for quite some time sir. It is all html5 video now and completely compatible with iOS.

Other than formats that a mobile device can't play, Youtube only knows what your browser tells it. You might try an alternate browser that allows you to change the browser identification information sent to web sites.

Well, they can use rDNS to tell that you're on a mobile device of some sort (or at least are tethered to one) if you're using your mobile provider's connection. I also suspect that if you're using an Android device, there's some phoning home going on between the phone and YouTube regardless of what fibs your browser tells.

I guess you could run through a proxy server, but that seems like a bit much to be able to watch a video.

-Rich

Back