Blink: Dr. Who

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
My very first episode of Dr. Who, ever. Loved it. What other MUST-SEES for someone who doesn't know much about Dr. Who?

Are you looking for other shows or more stuff about the Dr?

If it is other shows I really enjoyed the re-imaged Battle Star Galactica and the now canceled prequel Caprica. Don't watch Caprica until you watch BSG.

Of course there is always Star Trek.

As for Dr. Who episodes I have not seen the latest but I did like the David Tennet ones from a few years ago.

I like the Dr. Who's from the 70's. Absolutely cheesy special effects but the story lines are pretty good.
NetFlix has a bunch.

I liked Tom Baker as Dr. Who, way back when. I like all the actors in the more recent reincarnation, though Tennant did strike the best tone. Great show. We named our fit after the TARDIS, since the inside looked larger than the outside.

Hi

I love love love time travel anything. I've read many of Jack Finney's books, for instance (and if you haven't, run out and get 'em - you won't be sorry).

Is there another weeping angel episode of Dr Who?

If you liked "Blink" you should also love the "Silence in the Library" / "Forest of the Dead" two-parter. It was written by the same guy, who has in the latest season taken over as executive producer and head writer. Most of the most recent season with the Matt Smith as the Doctor is brilliant, especially "Amy's Choice", "Vincent and the Doctor", and the season finale two parter, "The Pandorica Opens" / "The Big Bang".

If you really want to get into Doctor Who, though, you have two options. You can start at the beginning of the reboot, which is the series from 2005, and watch straight through. Or you could just start with the 2010 season, which is something of a "soft" reboot, and that will let you quickly catch up to what's being broadcast. Be warned, however, that there is quite a long break between seasons and other than the Christmas special we won't see new episodes until mid to late 2011. I'm told that NetFlix has all the series except the most recent available for streaming, with the exception of the Christmas specials.

I liked Tom Baker as Dr. Who

X3. He's the only one I'e watched though and that was quite some time ago when it was on PBS.

Always chuckled at someone travelling through the universe in a British telephone booth.

X3. He's the only one I'e watched though and that was quite some time ago when it was on PBS.

Always chuckled at someone travelling through the universe in a British telephone booth.

If I recall correctly, the camouflage circuit in the TARDIS has a short.

This is going to turn into another high-wing, low-wing debate.

Quick summary - Doctor Who started in 1963 on the BBC (and is still on BBC) with low-budget everything. There's always a "companion" or two (if more than one, #1 must always be a really cute female). True devotees can even name each actor who played the lead, starting with William Hartnell (I can't, I gotta go to IMDB for details) but every fan can name the disasters!

If you're truly fascinated the The Doctor, go find the first year episodes of Tom Baker for background. That will provide the context for pretty much everything since the 2005 reboot. Baker was the longest-running Doctor with 170+ episodes.
The lead actor has always been a reboot. It's just this time, the period between new episodes was 15 years instead of a few months.

One of these days, I'm going to spend a full day watching the Hartnell episodes. Until I got a satellite dish with BBCA I was limited to what/when the local PBS channel broadcast. Never saw Hartnell, only a few of the Troughton. Originally these were 20-25 min episodes broadcast over a week as a serial. When the BBC realized that the USA couldn't get enough, they packaged them as single episodes and shipped them to the PBS stations (the only ones interested).

It's always fun to watch the original or "Classic" (if Star Trek can do it, why not the Doctor?) because you never know when you'll be surprised to see an actor. Honor Blackman after James Bond. Julian Glover before James Bond. Doug Adams even wrote a 5-ep special. Stubby Kaye in the years most of us would like to forget.

The first episodes were actually kind of boring. The doctor would take his companions to the site of famous historical happenings. It wasn't until they started introducing the science fiction themes that the series got interesting.

Spooks (MI-5 in the US)

The only show I know of on TV where the actors don't even know when they'll be removed.

Oh, I almost forgot about the episode "Girl in the Fireplace," which I just found on my DVR. Also by Steven Moffat, and also fantastic.

Dr. Who evolution

attachment.php

Pretty clever!

Attachments

• tumblr_lcewpt0cpg1qa10u7o1_500.gif
    tumblr_lcewpt0cpg1qa10u7o1_500.gif
    235.5 KB · Views: 62
Let's test my memory:
William Hartnell
Patrick Troughton
Jon Pertwee
Tom Baker
Peter Davidson
(There was a Hurndell in an episode "The Five Doctors after Hartnell passed)
Colin Baker
Sylvester McCoy*
Paul McGann*
Christopher Eccleston*
David Tennant
Matt Smith

*I had to look these up, and I misspelled Hurndell and Tennant). :)

And yes, there are another two-part Angels episode: "The Time of Angels" and "Flesh and Stone" in 2010. I agree with Todd that the Library two-parter is really good, too.

Let's test my memory:
William Hartnell
Patrick Troughton
Jon Pertwee
Tom Baker
Peter Davidson
(There was a Hurndell in an episode "The Five Doctors after Hartnell passed)
Colin Baker
Sylvester McCoy*
Paul McGann*
Christopher Eccleston*
David Tennant
Matt Smith

*I had to look these up, and I misspelled Hurndell and Tennant). :)

And yes, there are another two-part Angels episode: "The Time of Angels" and "Flesh and Stone" in 2010. I agree with Todd that the Library two-parter is really good, too.

The producers are definitely positioning Alex Kingston as a recurring character anytime they need her, and with any Doctor.

I don't remember McGann, don't think I ever saw any of his episodes. McCoy - feh. Just could not tolerate "Ace".

For those of us from the Tom Baker time, "School Reunion" is a treat. Not only Sarah Jane, but we also get ASH as a wickedly funny villain!

Although they brought him back for a few of the episodes in the last couple of years... I miss K-9.

I was glad to see the new episodes on BBC-A a couple of years ago I've been enjoying Dr. Who since the mid 70's. I'm glad they still use some pretty hoakey special effects that is part of the charm.

Although they brought him back for a few of the episodes in the last couple of years... I miss K-9.

I was glad to see the new episodes on BBC-A a couple of years ago I've been enjoying Dr. Who since the mid 70's. I'm glad they still use some pretty hoakey special effects that is part of the charm.

K-9 belongs to Sarah Jane, and is fending off a black hole from the attic in her house. Afterall, he's been upgraded with a new Hyperlink system! The "Sarah Jane Adventures" is in season 4 altho only season 1 has been broadcast on BBCA in the US. At least I've only seen season 1.

I could never get into Dr. Who. Not a bit. This was Tom Baker era. Just left me cold

Met a bloke in England who thought it was all true stories. He was, well, easily led....

Back