Blind pilot on XC flight

Rgbeard

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
rgbeard
I came across this article in the local news.

https://www.12news.com/article/life...izona/75-d74c6d99-416c-440e-b72f-8c2662dba98e

I get that they were doing a “feel-good” piece, but it left me wondering: “what the heck is the point?”

I’m not trying to be overly smart-butt, nor terribly insensitive, but I simply don’t get it.

If I become afflicted by blindness, I can see a friend taking me flying for the sensation and possibly letting me grab the controls. (You think a VFR pilot into IMC is tough?). But I certainly wouldn’t consider myself the pilot of that journey.

What am I missing?

Jessica Dubroff’s death basically ended those “feel good” options for underage pilots, so they had to replace them with other groups of unqualified pilots.

I worked on a neurostimulation project a decade ago. I heard Patient 1 liked to hunt, but became a quadriplegic. He really wanted to shoot his gun again I guess. So much so he underwent the experimental 18 hour surgery to bridge his neck muscles to his limbs. I know it “worked” but not sure he ever got to shoot the gun.

Ever see those blind guys that ride bikes with echo location? I don’t know I read that article and just think of what you could learn trying to feed a blind pilot enough info they could fly unassisted. Just fun to think about. Not sure I “feel” any better though lol.

Yeah Rusty, I get your point too.
Mauleskinner might be onto something.... PC feel good stuff.
The TV series Magnum PI a couple years ago had a character wheelchair bound with legs that did not work become a helicopter pilot flying tours fro TC's company. How does that happen with the pedals???
Has to be just for the feel good inclusion is all I can figure....

There are a number of amputee pilots flying specially equipped aircraft, who have soloed and gone on to earn their private certificate. And Jessica Cox, who has no arms at all and flies an Ercoupe with her feet. But blind? I can't see it (no pun intended).

yeah, I get it...especially an Ercoup.... but an MD 500 helicopter? My understanding a heli is like a tailwheel plane....feet gotta dance!

I was thinking about the blind thing....Maybe it's "legally blind" but not what I would call "actually blind"...as in can see the instruments but not the ground maybe....

With specifically developed instruments, I imagine a blind pilot could fly IFR far better than a sighted one could. Tones for course and glide path. Or haptic or tactile interfaces. It would be complicated, but like I said, I can imagine some would be very good at it.

yeah, I get it...especially an Ercoup.... but an MD 500 helicopter? My understanding a heli is like a tailwheel plane....feet gotta dance!
Just the other day I saw a video, I forget who, but it was a legless (or maybe he was paralyzed from the waist down) pilot flying a taildragger with a hand control for the rudder. Seems a chopper would be no different.

Had a good friend who wasn’t just legally blind, but 100%, completely blind. He loved flying the airplane, which I was happy to let him do. A cross country as PIC - uhm, no. He was a piano tuner/technician by trade.

Funny story, they had a flat on their car while it was in the driveway, but middle of summer, so he waited until the sun went down for the cooler temps. Their neighbor saw him changing the tire so brought a flashlight over and held it for him. The neighbor didn’t even realize what he’d done until his wife asked him what he was doing. She was happy to point out the obvious.

Just the other day I saw a video, I forget who, but it was a legless (or maybe he was paralyzed from the waist down) pilot flying a taildragger with a hand control for the rudder. Seems a chopper would be no different.

well yeah, I suppose..... but maybe a finger control trigger on the collective or something...cause both hands are already full in a helo

Back