Blind in one eye, procedures for a medical as a student?

U

Unregistered

Good morning

I am blind in one eye and took lessons years ago (blind then too). The procedure to obtain a medical as a student was a hassle back then. Is it still? Do I still need to undergo various visual field tests before seeing the AME, get flight surgeon permission, etc?

The above was all prior to a SODA, which I never obtained.

Muchas gracias.

Guest: Welcome to the forum; and understand that my response is not a medical advisory or opinion. I was in your shoes from the beginning of my flight training. Blind in the left eye for over 45 years I passed the 3rd Class AME exam. When I, a few weeks later, received the certificate in the mail it came with a notification that because of my limited vision I would be required to successfully complete a SODA - you already know what it is - "prior to or commensurate with taking the flight test for Private Pilot certification." Those aren't exact word but close to original. I passed the SODA flight.
Based upon your never having obtained a SODA certificate -- mine is kept in my files at my regular AME physician's office -- I'm ASSUMING you're not yet a certificated pilot.
As long as you continue to meet the visual requirements you shouldn't have a problem continuing to the PP-ASEL checkride, all other matters considered. I'm also deaf in one ear but I keep passing the exam every two years. And my friends who aren't aviation-wise have asked, "How is it that the FAA lets a ½-blind/½-deaf guy fly that airplane around endangering those of us on the ground."
"I continue to meet the physical requirements."

HR

When you take the 3rd class, assuming your other eye is correctable to 20/40 or better and you have no other medical issues, you will receive a Third Class medical with the limitation of "Valid for Student Pilot only." You will proceed through all your training (including all your solo flights) normally. When you get ready for your practical test, you will have to schedule either a combined Private Pilot practical test and Special Medical Flight Test with the FSDO, or else do the practical test with a DPE and the SMFT with the FSDO. For the details on that, see http://fsims.faa.gov/wdocs/8900.1/v05 airman cert/chapter 08/05_008_001rev1.htm. In particular, here's what they'll be looking for on the SMFT:
4) Observe an applicant with a visual defect (one eye missing or one eye blind) demonstrate the following in an aircraft:
· The ability to select emergency landing fields at a distance, from high altitude, and preferably over unfamiliar terrain.
· The ability to simulate forced landings in difficult fields; note the manner of approach, rate of descent, and comparative distance at which obstructions (stumps, boulders, ditches, etc.) are recognized.
· The ability to recognize other aircraft (which may be present by prearrangement) approaching at a collision course (particularly aircraft approaching from the far right or far left).
· The ability to judge distances and to recognize landmarks (compared with the ASI's estimate).
· The ability to land the aircraft.
· The ability to read aeronautical charts in flight and tune the radio to a predetermined station accurately and rapidly.
· The ability to read instrument panels (including an overhead panel, if any) quickly and correctly.

Unreg, the way to proceed is to get issued a third class & student pilot cert: "Valid for student purposes only". You have to go to an AME who is familiar with this. Write the FAA at OKC and request a referral to your FSDO for an operational check ride.

Start flying. About six to eight weeks later, you will get a referral to the FSDO. That means a package from OKC has arrived at the FSDO signed by meidcal branch, with an unrestricted 3rd class in it. You have six months to make the appointment; by then you should have soloed. Have your CFI fly down with you, and fly with the inspector for about 0.4. You'll be given the waiver and the unrestricted certificate, at the FSDO, after the insepctor signs off on the items Ron has posted.

Capt Ron,

What does tuning a radio have to do with it? The guy might be flying a plane in class G or one with no electrical system? Is that listed some where?

Capt Ron,

What does tuning a radio have to do with it? The guy might be flying a plane in class G or one with no electrical system? Is that listed some where?

Ron was (as is his practice) quoting directly from FAA source materials.

Capt Ron,

Well, I suppose if they pilot was willing to accept a "not valid in airspace requiring radio communication" limitation like most deaf pilots, that part might be waived (just guessing, not sure), but as noted above, it's in FAA Order 8900.1 (quoted above) as one of the items the Inspector is supposed to evaluate for a one-eyed pilot. And on further reflection, since demonstration of the ability to navigate by electronic systems is required for PP's, tuning a VOR or GPS would be necessary anyway even if voice comm wasn't. Even if you don't have an electrical system in the plane in which you take your PP ride, you have to bring along a handheld to complete the radio-based tasks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back