Blind Ground School Instructor Revisited

N9GMR

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Matt Roberts
I was on this forum back in 2020. My plan then, and still is to become an Advanced Ground School Instructor. I'm also planning to add instrument to this. I put studying on hold because of the pandemic, and because I was involved in an automobile accident last year.
Though I'm totally blind, it was suggested to me by someone I met on Facebook I become a Ground School Instructor. I know another blind person has done it, so if I'm successful, I'll be the second blind Ground School Instructor.
I contacted the FSDO in my area to see if they'll find a way to accommodate my blindness so I can take the tests. I hope they will, because this is something I really want to do.
I have been interested in aviation since I was 10, when a friend took me up in a Cessna 170. From that time on, aviation was in my blood.
As I've taken rides in airplanes, I have learned as much as I can about flying. One of my friends has me talk on the radio when I fly with him. I'm familiar with the controls, and checklists for airplanes I in which I've flown. Most of my experience is in the Cessna 170. I hope to learn about other aircraft.
I'm using the Gleam Aviation AGI course and FOI. These courses work well with my computer.
I'd also like to experience a ride in a helicopter.
Another aircraft I'd like to experience is a ride in a private jet which can be flown by a single pilot. I'd like to fly in the right seat, so I can feel the controls, and ask the pilot questions. Also, if possible I'd like to have the checklists gone through verbally, so I can follow along with what's happening. Is this possible?
IN case you're wondering how I able to communicate on this forum, I'm using a program on my computer called a screen reader. I was required to learn to type on a typewriter when I was at the Maryland School for the Blind. Though I hated typing, because I could not read what I'd written, when I got a computer with the ability to read back what I'd written, typing didn't bother me anymore. In fact, I got good at it, just with practice. My computer is the primary way I deal with written material.
I will be asking questions as I'm studying, because there will be material that is visual, and I'll need someone to explain it to me.
I'm not on this forum to recruit rides in airplanes, but if it happens, it'll be great.

Have you contacted the successful blind ground instructor?

I was wondering not long ago what had become of you.

Have you contacted the successful blind ground instructor?

I do not have a way to contact this person, or I would.
When I knew him, he never mentioned he was a Ground School Instructor. If he had, I would have done it then.

Back