BLI to AKT

Gsxrpilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Gsxrpilot
Does anyone have a PIREP on flying from KBLI to PAKT? Thinking of going to Alaska but without dealing with the Canadian border crossing.

It's been almost 11 years since I flown that route but I've done it several times in both directions. From what I remember, there's not that many outs if you have a problem. Most of the route is pretty rocky. Make sure you have enough fuel to get to Sitka, or even Juneau if the weather goes down in Ketchikan (also called "Catch it if you can").

If you're flying the ILS in, make sure you don't go right of course at all. There's hills on that side. Going left of course too far won't end well either, but at least you have a bit of water between you and the hills on that side.

Oh yeah, if you're spending the night, you'll need to take a ferry to the hotel.

Otherwise, it's a nice scenic flight when the weather cooperates.

Good info Andy! Thanks.

There's a group of us thinking of doing two weeks in Alaska next July and that would be the first hop. We're all IFR and flying Mooney's.

Good info Andy! Thanks.

There's a group of us thinking of doing two weeks in Alaska next July and that would be the first hop. We're all IFR and flying Mooney's.

Our Friend has flown his 185 or his Super cub to Fairbanks some 90 times, he has seen the ground all the way twice.

When KTN goes IFR it is mostly due the coastal fog. It goes all the way to the ground 0/0.

519 NM direct. I'd study the weather and winds in detail and have a few backup plans just in case.

:yeahthat::yeahthat:
519 NM direct. I'd study the weather and winds in detail and have a few backup plans just in case.

Make the phone call to Can-pass and be ready to divert.

find Carcross Yk. be ready to go there and Prince George.

Last edited:
Back