Blast from the past

Everskyward

Experimenter
Display Name

Display name:
Everskyward
Someone sent me this article which I thought was hilarious... or maybe not. :rolleyes:

Note that it was written in 1978, back in the Dark Ages. Now wait a minute... I learned to fly in 1977. I guess I was living in my own world and blissfully unaware of what other people thought. Same as now.

I really don't like to get into the whole women-as-pilots thing because, well, just because. But I thought this was interesting. You'll probably have to zoom in to read it.

Attachments

• MamaSan0001.JPG
    MamaSan0001.JPG
    467.1 KB · Views: 91
"I find the presence of women in the front office of an airplane virtually intolerable."

Just an aside Mari, 1978 the year I was born :)

I dunno, in my limited experience, women are better pilots than men. a lot has changed in 30 years.

I dunno, in my limited experience, women are better pilots than men. a lot has changed in 30 years.

You're just sucking up....

That said:
Tristan you are the bestest pilot ever.

That said:

"Hello, Kettle? This is Pot.

You're black!"

Ha ha ha...good article. Anyone read the sidebar?

The seventies and early eighties were when they were saying the same thing about female police officers. The nineties? Woman soldiers in combat.

Now women are kicking mens' butt on a regular basis ;)

Anyone read the sidebar?
Yeah I thought it was amusing that B&CA chose this particular column, of all the ones that guy must have written, to republish. I got a kick out of how anachronistic it sounds. Of course I'm realistic enough to admit that there are probably some people out there who still feel the same way. :dunno:

As an aside, I have access to a bunch of scrapbooks, some of which were put together in the 1950s and 60s, which include many press articles on women pilots. Even the ones that are complimentary have this weird, paternalistic, patronizing tone which makes me raise my eyebrows and snicker in turn when I read them. Such were the "good old days".

That said:

It's a good thing this laptop is under warranty. :D

Seriously, I call shenanigans. I think that's actually Tristan posting under Jesse's name.

Is this a gag? I really don't see anything wrong with it. :dunno:

Wrong! And a terrible stereotype! We use maps, we just won't stop and ask directions. :D

We insist on the need for high-tech toys like GPS systems..... Just tell her it's cheaper than a divorce.

We don't. Men have a built in sense of space and time that negates the need for any sort of map.
Heh. Sort of like a built in inertial nav? I think I've witnessed many malfunctions. :)

Maps are your friend, mine anyway. I hate getting directions like "Turn right then left at the second light, then left again and through 3 stop signs..." Give me a map any day. But then I was in the mapping business for 20 years. LOL.

Back