Blank emails

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Any ideas for my email problem?
Netscape 7.2

Could not email out for 24hrs. Thought it was the isp (SBC DSL) because suddenly both computers were doing that; but their chat help couldn't fix. Uninstalled and reinstalled (completely) Netscape and NOW it will load my incoming messages... but I can only see the:
author
date
title
BUT NO TEXT!
(I hate getting "Urgent" messages from family etc but no visible text!!)
Still cant email out too.
Thanks!

Let'sgoflying! said:
Netscape 7.2

Could not email out for 24hrs. Thought it was the isp (SBC DSL) because suddenly both computers were doing that; but their chat help couldn't fix. Uninstalled and reinstalled (completely) Netscape and NOW it will load my incoming messages... but I can only see the:
author
date
title
BUT NO TEXT!
Thanks!
Check the server settings under Accounts-> [This Account] Server....
There's an an option to download headers only for new messages.

In any case, even if you have that option set, you are supposed to be able to select the message and see an icon you click to get the whole thing.

I think it is likely a problem at the ISP or with a firewall or virus scanner in the way. Try turning off any Norton or whoever security wizardry on your PC. It could be scanning your email and not letting you see it.

BW, spammers send blank messages, I guess, in hopes you'll reply and verify your address. Those messages could really be blank.

You could try using the Yahoo web email client to see what you see there,

You could try using Thunderbird, but that works about the same as Netscape mail.

Last edited:
I've seen virus scanners that intergrate with the e-mail application mess up before and this problem is the result. The e-mail client tries to pipe it through the scanner..the scanner doesn't send it back.

It could be a million things though.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Netscape 7.2

author
date
title
BUT NO TEXT!
Thanks!

While you wait to get this figured out, Dave, does your ISP have a WebMail option that will let you see the messages online?

Sounds like it's time for you to start using Gmail! :yes: You don't even have to change your ISP; just forward your mail from their server to Gmail. No more hotel access problems.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Netscape 7.2

author
date
title
BUT NO TEXT!
Thanks!

Dave,

Select a message header, then click File \ Print Preview. Do you see the entire email?

Are you regularly compacting your email file? Netscape recommends compacting it when you close Netscape or when you empty trash (there's a way to automatically turn that feature on). If you don't do this, then everything which has been "deleted" is still internally in the data file, and of course, slows things down.

If you're not compacting your file, try doing that. It may take a while to run if this isn't something you've been doing.

Sometimes the simple things are missed. Did someone mess around with the colors on your PC. Font color and background the same? There's a guy on this board who includes a sig file with yellow letters in it. On my PC, I know it's there, just cant read the letters.
And depending on what you see, is the monitor intensity high enough to see it?

This is a new (2wks) sbcglobal account, the tech guy gave www.sbc.yahoo.com/mail as the site to view mail but I see no mail there for my wtxvets@sbcglobal account whatsoever.. .it says, "0 messages" for the Inbox.

I have received 150 messages - well just the titles, date and author since yesterday.
I have set the server to save all messages just in case; hope it doesnt fill up before I figure this out.
I have gone through all the settings and can't find anything that helps so far,
maybe I will try to set up the same account on my wifes computer.

When I send an email, it seems to 'go' but then it hangs up on sending a copy to the Sent Mail folder - a crazy other problem.

The browser is repeatedly asking for my password and then doesnot seem happy; asks for it again and again! I have tried "remember my password" too.

Let'sgoflying! said:
This is a new (2wks) sbcglobal account, the tech guy gave www.sbc.yahoo.com/mail as the site to view mail but I see no mail there for my wtxvets@sbcglobal account whatsoever.. .it says, "0 messages" for the Inbox.

I have received 150 messages - well just the titles, date and author since yesterday.
I have set the server to save all messages just in case; hope it doesnt fill up before I figure this out.
I have gone through all the settings and can't find anything that helps so far,
maybe I will try to set up the same account on my wifes computer.

When I send an email, it seems to 'go' but then it hangs up on sending a copy to the Sent Mail folder - a crazy other problem.

That's bad. You may actually be losing messages.

I always select "Leave mail on server" "Until I delete or move it" for safety.

Let'sgoflying! said:
The browser is repeatedly asking for my password and then doesnot seem happy; asks for it again and again! I have tried "remember my password" too.

That's not your browser. It's your security suite software getting all fouled up in the middle of the conversation. Disable it.

You might check your security suite to see if it has a quarantine folder where all of your mail is being held.

I am using NAV2004, defns this week, scan yesterday,
Autoprotect is Off
Scan incoming email is On
Script blocking is On

Do you suggest turning it all off and trying it, Mike?
I was thinking of downloading Firefox and trying that.
(and trying to find that gmail program Troy mentioned)

Thanks all.

Print Preview is grayed out, not clickable.
I tried copying an entire blank email and pasting into word but still nothing can be seen.
I have the ink set to black.
I am compacting right now, but it has taken 10 mins to compact Drafts which is an empty folder!
Oh well its not like the first week of evenings I have lost to computer troubleshooting!

Let'sgoflying! said:
Autoprotect is Off
Script blocking is On

Thanks all.

Turn off BOTH of those!

Once you've proved that your email works again, go to Add/remove programs on the Control Panel and remove anything Norton or Symantec. Hope your system still works afterwards.

Then install the free AVAST AV: http://avast.com

Let'sgoflying! said:
Autoprotect is Off
Script blocking is On

Thanks all.

I'll send you an invitation to Gmail... oh, wait, you can't check email.

Try http://mail.google.com

See if you can create an account. If not, PM me another email address that you can check, and I'll send you an invitation there.

Let'sgoflying! said:
maybe I mean Thunderbird,... FF doesn't do email right??

Right. Firefox is the browser, Thunderbird is an email client. Lose the email client, use Firefox to access gmail (mail.google.com).

Thanks,
Right now it is baling wire and duct tape I can see new mail on Tbird, freshly reinstalled Netscape continues to

-be unable to delete any messages
-not show any text (couldnt read that tantalizing help message, Troy)
-ask for my password continually.

I really have to think it is Netscape and not the server or the AV, because Tbird gets mail just fine (right now).

Too bad TB won't allow me to import my address book or saved messages!

Another evening lost to 'advanced technology'!

Let'sgoflying! said:
Thanks,
Right now it is baling wire and duct tape I can see new mail on Tbird, freshly reinstalled Netscape continues to

-be unable to delete any messages
-not show any text (couldnt read that tantalizing help message, Troy)
-ask for my password continually.

I really have to think it is Netscape and not the server or the AV, because Tbird gets mail just fine (right now).

Too bad TB won't allow me to import my address book or saved messages!

Another evening lost to 'advanced technology'!
TB should read the address book if you can export it. Actually it usually will import the address book at install time if it detects it.

What Netscape are you using? The old Netscape suite?

Try to export the address book to a file and then have TB import it.

I had to convert the Netscape 7.2 address book to a lidf? file and then it would accept it. (Tbird will only accept eudora, communicator, outlook files directly)
Now I want to completely erase all of Netscape..... but before I do wouldn't I love to save all that mail! We'll see - Im not easily beat!

...and Dave, ditch the Norton. Friends don't let friends hose up their computers with Norton software.

SCCutler said:
...and Dave, ditch the Norton. Friends don't let friends hose up their computers with Norton software.

But the OEMs get paid to install Norton before it leaves the factory so they can harras you for the $29 annual tribute for updates in a year.

The big problem is that no Best Buy or CompUSA employee will let you leave with a new PC without having a $75-$100 copy of Norton something in your basket. Another reason to stay out of those joints.

It's no wonder CompUSA pretends like they don't sell Macs.

Jann found a consumer advice column that said only go to Best Buy when you already know what you want, get IT, and get out. It said that no employee there will have any useful advice. What I've been saying.

Last edited:
mikea said:
The big problem is that no Best Buy or CompUSA employee will let you leave with a new PC without having a $75-$100 copy of Norton something in your basket. Another reason to stay out of those joints.

Many areas of the retail world are going to the Big Box Stores, Sams Walmart HomeDepot, and that is happening because people love a part of it (the huge selection, likelihood of having something in stock, one-stop shopping) BUT it carries with it the downside you mention (poor service, undertrained staff). We (the consumer) gets what we ask for (whether we realize the bad part, or not). Face it, we are all lazy and "just want a computer that works, so put in the NAV or whatever, just make it work!" most people are not motivated enough to find a website, chose an AV tool and download, then execute it, set it up and track it.

"So on your advice" (ha, ha - no burden there!) I will not renew NAV and try this other AV pgm you mention. I am not quite ready to purge it from my system yet (and I don't think the evidence on my latest problem puts the blame on NAV btw).

As always, thanks for your help.

Let'sgoflying! said:
... I am not quite ready to purge it from my system yet...

Yeah, and good luck trying!

SCCutler said:
Yeah, and good luck trying!

Hey! Have you guys assigned me an Impossible Task??
Well I am coming to dfw area next month, wanna job?

Let'sgoflying! said:
Hey! Have you guys assigned me an Impossible Task??
Well I am coming to dfw area next month, wanna job?

Gotta job, needa vacation.

mikea said:
Jann found a consumer advice column that said only go to Best Buy when you already know what you want, get IT, and get out. It said that no employee there will have any useful advice. What I've been saying.
That is a pretty stereotypical statement to be making. Do you personally know the abilities of all 125,000 Best Buy employees?

There are Best Buy employees that know what they are talking about. The majority of them may not. I wouldn't go around underestimating all of them.

What really bothered me the worst about working there were the *******s that would come in and take my time up and then imply that I do not know what I'm talking about. They would try to play the game of "stump the best buy employee" where they attempt to ask you all kinds of unrelated technical questions with the goal of attempting to make you look stupid. What they don't realize is they are the ones making an ass out of themself.

There are way too many people out there that just automatically look down at someone. Take Best Buy for what it is. It's a pretty decent place for a college student to make "ok" money and get good deals on the things they like to buy. Why would you expect the person to know everything when they are getting paid about $7-$8 per hour. The GeekSquad people are probably somewhere around $10-$12. I wouldn't look down nor would I talk bad about them. They are just trying to get by and work like everyone else in this world.

I do not like Best Buy as a corporate enity. But I feel for their employees everytime I walk in there.

Why are they trying to sell you that copy of Norton or that service plan? Because if they don't they will be fired. Not only that 90% of the time after you walk away a manager will be on their ass wanting to know why they failed at selling it to you. The manager will want to know what your name was, how many kids you had, and what class of customer you fell within. If you can't answer those quite often I've seen written warnings as the result.

You get very good at lieing, making up names for customers, and randomily guessing how many kids they have. The managers will sometimes go up and call the customer by their name though. This could really ruin your day.

I walked away from Best Buy with quite a bit of experience ranging from technical stuff to how to defuse and deal with *******s. It also paid for my private pilot's license. It is my one year aniversary now since I left Best Buy. I have more than doubled my income and now have weekends and holidays off. It's a nice change.

Last edited:
jangell said:
There are Best Buy employees that know what they are talking about. The majority of them may not. I wouldn't go around underestimating all of them.

Jesse,

You are correct, the problem is that the people who really need the knowledgeable ones can't tell the difference. I can go into Best Buy, CompUSA, etc. and do just fine, but my mother will walk out of there with crap.

It's too bad that companies can't pay employees what they're really worth so they can keep the good ones. I'm sure you ended up making roughly the same wage as the people who had no clue, right? :(

flyingcheesehead said:
the problem is that the people who really need the knowledgeable ones can't tell the difference. I can go into Best Buy, CompUSA, etc. and do just fine, but my mother will walk out of there with crap.

Cybercrap?
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7585237223763168487

As I've said, when I make the rare trip to one of these big box stores it depresses the he* out of me as I watch the lambs being led to the slaughter. Besides, I rarely can get whatever small thing I needed.

There have been memos posted that Best Buy wants to actually ban informed customers from coming back. If you buy to omany door buster sale items and nothing else you'll stop getting flyers in the mail after a while.

If you wander in to the HDTV showroom with $10,000 burning a hole in your pocket you are just who they wanted to see.

And BTW, Jesse I don't play stump the guy in the shirtt. That's too easy. I would like it if they just would let me buy the $79 CRT monitor for my niece without pimping me for the extended warranty or tell me it's not what I want.

Last edited:
flyingcheesehead said:
I'm sure you ended up making roughly the same wage as the people who had no clue, right? :(

Actually less. Why? Because I didn't drink the Best Buy Kool-Aid (corporate brainwashing) and actually think it would be a lifetime career.

You actually have managers convincing students that college is worthless and that they should drop out and becoming a lifetime Best Buy employee. The managers would always refer to this as "best buy university".

jangell said:
Actually less. Why? Because I didn't drink the Best Buy Kool-Aid (corporate brainwashing) and actually think it would be a lifetime career.

You actually have managers convincing students that college is worthless and that they should drop out and becoming a lifetime Best Buy employee. The managers would always refer to this as "best buy university".

Oh my. :eek:

Back