Blakesburg -- the Antique Aircraft Association Fly-In

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
We spent the day at Blakesburg, Iowa yesterday -- what a gorgeous day. 75 degrees, light winds, sunny. Perfect, except for the pollen, which almost killed me. I doubled my dosage of Claritan, and eventually stopped sneezing, but it was awful for a few hours. (There's nothing like being in the middle of 6 million square miles of farmland, chock-full of plants I'm deathly allergic to!)

If you've never been to this fly-in, I highly recommend it. Although I love Oshkosh, this fly-in is the "anti-Airventure" in many ways. No commercial sponsorships, no displays that aren't directly related to aviation. No public admission (you must be a member, and you can't become a member without being "invited" by another member), and it's held in a very isolated area (a farm in the absolutely middle of no where) to minimize intrusions from the outside world... Yet the place was chock-full of folks who flew 70-year-old biplanes in from as far away as California!

Althought we have attended for the last several years, this was our first time flying into this fantastic event. Mary decided it was safer landing Sweetie (our '48 Ercoupe) on a short grass strip than it was to take off, so she took 'er in. The runway is 2300' long, with a slight dog-leg, trees on three sides, and -- best of all -- a pretty steep UP hill when landing to the South, which was today's runway du jour. You can't land at the top of the up hill -- everyone made that VERY clear to me, as there isn't enough turf left before the fence -- so you MUST land on the up slope. Boy, that makes for a funny sight-picture, and the landing flare must be very aggressive.

Mary did fine, although it was a firm 3-pointer onto (into?) the up-hill slope. She practiced (and nailed) a short-field landing in Washington before we headed to Blakesburg, so everything worked out for the best. It felt great to taxi in past the peanut gallery for the first time; as usual, flying in to a "fly-in" is a completely different experience than driving (or, as we've done before, riding) in.

We spent the day mostly sitting in chairs, talking with old-timers (and, later, friends from Iowa City) and watching the most amazing aircraft come in. Lockheed Electras, Cessna "Bamboo Bombers", Travel Airs, Luscombes, Stinsons, Howards -- just a friggin' amazing collection of antique aircraft. Sweetie was the red-headed step child in this group, but -- at 61 years old -- she was right at home.

We had to go to our daughter's "Parents Back to School Night" tonight, so we couldn't stay much past 5 PM -- thus, we missed cocktail hour. My departure from Antique Airfield was "interesting", since Sweetie's 85 horses just aren't enough to launch us smartly, even off of a smooth, level concrete runway. Off a short, UP-hill grass strip, well, let's just say I was glad there was nothing but corn off the end of the runway...

:)

We're thinking about flying back today. The weather is supposed to be perfect through the weekend...

Matt Michael was thinking about taking the Fly Baby down there, and I know I'll have several other friends who will be there. Need to get there one of these years, those guys know how to have a good time.

Matt Michael was thinking about taking the Fly Baby down there, and I know I'll have several other friends who will be there. Need to get there one of these years, those guys know how to have a good time.

It's a fabulous event. So low key, and so different from Oshkosh.

There's no hoopla, no jet trucks, no mechanical bulls or people selling cars. It's just antique airplanes and the people who have dedicated their lives to keeping these beautiful old machines flying. I always feel honored to be in their presence whenever I'm on that field.

I love Oshkosh, but Blakesburg is better for the soul.

I'm going for sure. Not sure exactly when yet but probably Fri and camping over night. Tony, I wish you could grab a plane and make it. You and Leah would love it.

Sounds a lot like the Broadhead antique fly in here in WI.

Sounds a lot like the Broadhead antique fly in here in WI.

Brodhead is actually timed to take advantage of Blakesburg, so that all the guys who flew their Travel Airs 19 hours to get to Iowa can simply fly another hour or so to get to Wisconsin.

I'm going for sure. Not sure exactly when yet but probably Fri and camping over night. Tony, I wish you could grab a plane and make it. You and Leah would love it.

With any luck on the truck tonight we'll be spending the weekend soaring in Western KS. Forecast so far for Saturday is looking good.

Back