Blah. Here it comes...

Brian Austin

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Austin
After a cooler than normal spring, summer comes on with a vengeance. At least I got the a/c fixed yesterday.

Supposed to take my 8-year old nephew up for a flight on Saturday at noon. I'm thinking I might postpone it until Sunday early morning. All that heat kinda kills the fun, not to mention the thermals over the city.

Holly crap.

How often does the news stations there do the bit where they fry an egg on the hood of a car or a piece of concrete? :D

I'll just console you with the same crap I heard all the time in Albuquerque: At least it's a dry heat!! Of course, so is your oven:rofl:

Joe Williams said:
I'll just console you with the same crap I heard all the time in Albuquerque: At least it's a dry heat!! Of course, so is your oven:rofl:
It's only dry until mid-July. Then the humidity jumps up with the monsoons. On the plus side, it does get a little cooler at that point...rarely above 110. ;)

inav8r said:
Holly crap.

How often does the news stations there do the bit where they fry an egg on the hood of a car or a piece of concrete? :D
Once a year or so, someone will do it, usually one of the newer reporters. The sad part is that everyone already KNOWS it except the tourists...who are up in Flagstaff where it's 30 degrees cooler.

Three months of uncomfortable temps compared to all the snow and crap back East. I'll take this, thanks. :)

Joe Williams said:

Good one, Joe! I heard a stand-up comedian's take on that: "Ya know, fire's a dry heat!"

Brian Austin said:
Three months of uncomfortable temps compared to all the snow and crap back East. I'll take this, thanks. :)

Yep, you'll get no sympathy from those of us in the mid west who are currently enjoying an Indian Winter!

So Brian...

Hot enough for ya?!?

:D :D

(I had to...the voices told me to...)

Greebo said:
So Brian...

Hot enough for ya?!?

(I had to...the voices told me to...)
We'll talk again next January, snowblower-boy. :D

The a/c generally doesn't come on until about 105, although we have a guest this weekend so it may be earlier. With a concrete block house, I open all the windows at night and pull in the cool air, then close it up before I go to work.

When I get home at 5:30ish, it will be 100+ outside and 80 inside. :D

Brian Austin said:
With a concrete block house, I open all the windows at night and pull in the cool air, then close it up before I go to work.

When I get home at 5:30ish, it will be 100+ outside and 80 inside. :D
What do the night time temps get down to?

Bill Hunter said:
Good one, Joe! I heard a stand-up comedian's take on that: "Ya know, fire's a dry heat!"

Ha ha, thats good! - and on the AOPA board years ago it was, "So is a thermonuclear explosion!"

bstratt said:
Yep, you'll get no sympathy from those of us in the mid west who are currently enjoying an Indian Winter!

I'll take the Indian Winter...I can always put something on.
Us fat guys can only take so much off.....
EB :wonderwoman:
________
Medical marijuana doctor

Last edited:
bubba said:
I'll take the Indian Winter...I can always put something on.
Us fat guys can only take so much off.....
EB :wonderwoman:

Did you get Joe's wife drunk too? :D

Brian Austin said:
After a cooler than normal spring, summer comes on with a vengeance. At least I got the a/c fixed yesterday.

Supposed to take my 8-year old nephew up for a flight on Saturday at noon. I'm thinking I might postpone it until Sunday early morning. All that heat kinda kills the fun, not to mention the thermals over the city.

110 degrees!!!

GET OUT, therometers don't go that high. I loose the webs between my toes if I don't get rain and 45 degrees each week, I saw the big ball of fire in the sky two weeks ago, that's really a bad omen..

Joe Williams said:

As we used to say when I lived in Tucson, "Dry heat my wet A$$".

I will be in Parker, Az Fri and Sat. Can't wait. At least the low's will
be in the 80's.

greg

river_rat said:
As we used to say when I lived in Tucson, "Dry heat my wet A$$".

I will be in Parker, Az Fri and Sat. Can't wait. At least the low's will
be in the 80's.

greg
Parker/Havasu/Tuba City are all regular recordbreakers every year. We get hot. They get d*&n hot!

Brian Austin said:
Parker/Havasu/Tuba City are all regular recordbreakers every year. We get hot. They get d*&n hot!

One of the things I like best about Albuquerque, is that we get hot....very hot, but not as hot as you guys do.

And when Monsoon season starts here, we get a lot of rain, but it still doesn't get humid. Thank GOD!

But I'm with Brian - I'll take this any day over the last winter when I was up in New Hampshire, and the heater on my truck decided to stop working when it was -6 with a windchill of -25.

Forget that.

NickDBrennan said:
I'll take this any day over the last winter when I was up in New Hampshire, and the heater on my truck decided to stop working when it was -6 with a windchill of -25.

Forget that.
The sad thing is that six years ago, I'd be the guy sitting in the middle of an iced over lake with a rod through the ice in that kind of weather. :D

Boy, I've wimped out since then.

I always wondered what percentage of the population is walking around summertime Phoenix with a bandaged hand? My sister, her first year in Phoenix, had to see for herself when everyone told her be careful opening your car door. Not necessarily a slow leaner but she just had to see for herself.

Richard said:
I always wondered what percentage of the population is walking around summertime Phoenix with a bandaged hand? My sister, her first year in Phoenix, had to see for herself when everyone told her be careful opening your car door. Not necessarily a slow leaner but she just had to see for herself.

I've always found that the metal part of the seat belt hurts worse. Much worse! :)

Richard said:
What honestly flabbergasts me is the stupid doofuses (doofi?) walking down the street in the 110+ degree sunshine...wearing BLACK pants and BLACK t-shirts. That's got to add another 10+ degrees to your skin temp. Sheesh. And no hat or umbrella or anything. I wear a cowboy hat if I'm in boots or my 'outback' hat otherwise. (No self-respecting Westerner would be caught dead in a cowboy hat and tennis shoes)

Yeah, I've already started putting up the sunshades, looking for shaded parking spots (even if it involves an extra 1/4 mile walk), etc.. Summertime habits.

I can't imagine how people did it before air conditioning.

Brian Austin said:

i really am a wack job. I'll take the snow and crap. Not being a nudist, a prefer to be able to put more on and snuggle up with ah, er, up to a nice fireplace with a good book and hot toddies :blowingkisses: than to run out of clothing to take off while my skin is STILL a layer too much:hairraise:

sierra said:
Not being a nudist...
From a...ahem...admirer of the feminine form point of view, there are few things finer than a hot evening around the ASU campus here. They aren't nude but about as legally close as they can get in a lot of cases. Sigh.

Brian Austin said:
(No self-respecting Westerner would be caught dead in a cowboy hat and tennis shoes)

BS! Haven't you ever heard of 'Tennie Lamas'? If you want to see what a real cowboy looks like just come out this way sometime. It's too late for the spring, but come in the early fall you can be the new guy at round up--we always have fun with the new guy.

Richard said:
BS! Haven't you ever heard of 'Tennie Lamas'? If you want to see what a real cowboy looks like just come out this way sometime. It's too late for the spring, but come in the early fall you can be the new guy at round up--we always have fun with the new guy.
"California cowboy" has a whole different meaning outside CA, Richard. :D

You probably wear shorts with your hat, too, huh? :rolleyes:

Brian Austin said:
walking down the street in the 110+ degree sunshine...wearing BLACK pants and BLACK t-shirts.

I've always felt sorry for the Amish/Mennonites who are forced to wear multiple layers and dark wool clothing in the middle of summer anywhere. Crazy.

I've never found a good way to wear a cowboy hat in a plane....its a shame :)

I usually carry it with me tho, so I have it when I get out

Brian Austin said:

I get a kick out of the misters in lobbys/sidewalks...

Let'sgoflying! said:
I've always felt sorry for the Amish/Mennonites who are forced to wear multiple layers and dark wool clothing in the middle of summer anywhere. Crazy.

Forced? No, they choose to.

Still crazy IMO but this is America, after all.

-Skip

Brian,
My wife and some friends flew into Phoenix today and drove to the GC. Temps there supposed to be 80's during day and 30-40 at night. Relief is only about 3 hours away.
Gary

Brian Austin said:

But, But.....It's a Dry Heat! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Yeah, like a freakin' pizza oven:p

Dave Krall CFII said:
I get a kick out of the misters in lobbys/sidewalks...
First time I saw that I laughed at the wasted water. Evaporative cooling of the outdoors. Wow.

Brian Austin said:

I JUST got off the phone with Scottsdale MOM. She said it made it up to 111° today; that her thermostat is set on 80° and the a/c is running constantly.

HR

gturner said:
Brian,
My wife and some friends flew into Phoenix today and drove to the GC. Temps there supposed to be 80's during day and 30-40 at night. Relief is only about 3 hours away.
Gary
Three? You must be from out-of-town! The only folks that drive the speed limit are tourists. The rest of us treat the highways like a qualifying round for Nascar. That's a two hour trip in my vehicles. :D

Lawreston said:
I JUST got off the phone with Scottsdale MOM. She said it made it up to 111° today; that her thermostat is set on 80° and the a/c is running constantly.

HR
111 where? Maybe her place in the sun? Officially it barely broke 100. We're still in the cool stuff. I have yet to turn on my a/c.

sierra said:
i really am a wack job. I'll take the snow and crap. Not being a nudist, a prefer to be able to put more on and snuggle up with ah, er, up to a nice fireplace with a good book and hot toddies :blowingkisses: than to run out of clothing to take off while my skin is STILL a layer too much:hairraise:

Hey, that's my line: It's more attractive and better to put more clothes on than taking them off....

(he says... wanting to move out of Texas...)

Back