Blackwater 61

Its a tragic NEEDLESS accident, and without getting overboard, I think its ludicrous that a contractor (mercenary or not) should have the same sovereign immunity that the military or government does.. They should be accountable for their personnel and training, as well as operational oversight and mentorship..

They are hired by the U.S. government and therefore agents (in legal terms) of the government. Without this protection what firm in their right mind would ever work for the U.S.?

The Department of Defense has determined it is more efficient and effective to use contractors in these roles rather than soldiers.

I came across this thread today on a Google Search. I am the son of the Flight Mechanic, Mel Rowe.

Most of what has been said is accurate regarding Blackwater and the pilots on this flight. Blackwater had an internal policy that required pilots to be in theatre at least 30 days prior to being the main pilot of a flight. They are supposed to be a co-pilot to a more experienced pilot before taking over. My father had been there longer than both of the pilots that day, which is why he knew that "we don't normally go this route."

The accident could have been avoided quite easily if the pilots had just flown in the correct direction. They were supposed to take off on a southerly route, but instead took off in a northwesterly direction. If this very early mistake had been corrected, the accident likely would not have happened and 6 families wouldn't have to rely on mere memories this Father's Day.

In legal terms, my family was unable to sue Blackwater because my father had signed a contract that prevented him from recovering for any negligence committed by Blackwater. And as the family of the decedent, we are prohibited from suing by law. It's known as the Defense Base Act, which is part of the Longshoreman and Harbor Workers Act. The law essentially says that as long as a government contractor maintains an insurance policy (sold by the government), they are free from legal liability in the event of an accident, so long as the insurance pays out the claims.

My former stepmother now receives a monthly check, while my two sisters, my brother and I have received nothing from Blackwater - not even an apology. I will concede, however, that when the accident occurred, Blackwater sent a rep to inform us before the deaths were actually confirmed. They also gave the family some cash up front to pay for funeral costs.

Thought I would give a little more info.

I came across this thread today on a Google Search. I am the son of the Flight Mechanic, Mel Rowe.

Most of what has been said is accurate regarding Blackwater and the pilots on this flight. Blackwater had an internal policy that required pilots to be in theatre at least 30 days prior to being the main pilot of a flight. They are supposed to be a co-pilot to a more experienced pilot before taking over. My father had been there longer than both of the pilots that day, which is why he knew that "we don't normally go this route."

The accident could have been avoided quite easily if the pilots had just flown in the correct direction. They were supposed to take off on a southerly route, but instead took off in a northwesterly direction. If this very early mistake had been corrected, the accident likely would not have happened and 6 families wouldn't have to rely on mere memories this Father's Day.

In legal terms, my family was unable to sue Blackwater because my father had signed a contract that prevented him from recovering for any negligence committed by Blackwater. And as the family of the decedent, we are prohibited from suing by law. It's known as the Defense Base Act, which is part of the Longshoreman and Harbor Workers Act. The law essentially says that as long as a government contractor maintains an insurance policy (sold by the government), they are free from legal liability in the event of an accident, so long as the insurance pays out the claims.

My former stepmother now receives a monthly check, while my two sisters, my brother and I have received nothing from Blackwater - not even an apology. I will concede, however, that when the accident occurred, Blackwater sent a rep to inform us before the deaths were actually confirmed. They also gave the family some cash up front to pay for funeral costs.

Thought I would give a little more info.

Mel was definitely one of the good guys over there. In the short time I knew him, I enjoyed his company.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back