Blacking out in steep turn

P

privatepilotguy

I'm a student pilot and notice that my vision darkens slightly in a steep turn. I know that I should be experiencing less than 2G's since I'm only banking to 45, so I wanted to see if other people experience this too. Given that while flying prior to performing steep turns I'm pretty much sedentary at 1G, isn't this the equivalent sensation of standing up too fast?

I am 25, 160lb, and exercise regularly.

I actually had a student in the Army who said he was experiencing slight gray out in steep turns (60 degrees). He seemed pretty concerned about it. Only advice I could give was to see the flight surgeon to find out if there was an underlying cause. He too appeared to be in good shape.

No I don't think many pilots experience that in turns. That's a tough one, but you should probably figure out why. Hopefully one of the docs will pipe in.

I'm a, ahem, more mature guy, a little over twice your age, no issues like that. Plus I did upset training, after the training part was done, we did some aerobatics with a whole bunch of 5 g turns, plus a 6.6 g pull at the end of a hammerhead. I was worried about g's like that but no issues.

The last thing you want to do is pass out while flying. Wait for one of the ame's to chime in with advice. @bbchien

You know, one more thing, are you sure your sight is dimming, or are you having a nervous reaction and your eyes are squinting?

@PaulS That's a good point, I never paid attention to whether I was squinting or not. Will do next time.

I'm a student pilot and notice that my vision darkens slightly in a steep turn. I know that I should be experiencing less than 2G's since I'm only banking to 45, so I wanted to see if other people experience this too. Given that while flying prior to performing steep turns I'm pretty much sedentary at 1G, isn't this the equivalent sensation of standing up too fast?

I am 25, 160lb, and exercise regularly.

Could it be low blood pressure? Do you experience something similar when you stand up from a seated position?

@sarangan very infrequently I will stand up and get a little dizzy feeling / vision darkening, only after extended periods of sitting. Isn't this normal though?

Well 1.414 G is way too low to grey out unless you have an undiscovered medical condition...or are super dehydrated....even YANKing and banking.....shouldn’t do it. The wing comes off at >3g.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back