Blackfly evtol

iflyforfun

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
iflyforfun
Just curious if anyone else finds the concept here as fascinating as I do. I love the redundancy and lack of moving parts. Vertical takeoff with rotation to forward wing supported / lower drag flight with no moving parts and fairly easily shrouded propellers seems a pretty winning combination. I've been following these guys for a few years but they seem to be in continuous development cycle with no commercial plans.

Reactions: YKA
I haven't seen that before, really interesting. Thanks for posting.

Just better hope nothing fails for the power supply cause there ain't no gliding or autoratation happening in that bird.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Just curious if anyone else finds the concept here as fascinating as I do. I love the redundancy and lack of moving parts. Vertical takeoff with rotation to forward wing supported / lower drag flight with no moving parts and fairly easily shrouded propellers seems a pretty winning combination. I've been following these guys for a few years but they seem to be in continuous development cycle with no commercial plans.

I think you mean no deflection control surfaces because I see at least 8 moving parts on this aircraft.

Just better hope nothing fails for the power supply cause there ain't no gliding or autoratation happening in that bird.
And? Redundant systems still fail. Not something I want to bet my life on, personally.
Umm. OK. But "nothing fails" is different from "something fails" if the something is redundant.

I like it, and would totally fly it. Where can I get one?

Umm. OK. But "nothing fails" is different from "something fails" if the something is redundant.
The things that cause one system to fail are pretty likely to also cause another just like it to also fail. As a designer of fault tolerant systems, I can tell you that increased redundancy increases complexity, which increases failure modes as well. Redundancy works well only when the entire redundant systems are completely independent, which they can’t be in something this size. Not to say this isn’t cool, and I wouldn’t try it, but it’s not something I’d spend much time in. Risk is very high imo

Risk is very high imo
It would be interesting to see details of the engineering for their "triple-modular redundancy" and "fault-tolerant design" for my own risk analysis. They claim to have accumulated 31,000+ miles and 3,200+ flights during testing, although they don't mention whether there have been any accidents as a result of system failures. The package does include a ballistic recovery parachute.

Fault-tolerant design
  • Redundant motors, elevons, batteries
  • Three fail-safe flight systems
  • Isolated, distributed battery system
https://www.opener.aero/#technology

The market is saturated with Evtol prototypes but I’ve yet to see anything that can seriously serve the masses. Black Fly has been in development for 12 years. So when are we going to be seeing these as a useful work commuter? I think it’ll be like the Icon. Marginal sales with mostly ultra wealthy people who want a flying jet ski.

The market is saturated with Evtol prototypes but I’ve yet to see anything that can seriously serve the masses. Black Fly has been in development for 12 years. So when are we going to be seeing these as a useful work commuter? I think it’ll be like the Icon. Marginal sales with mostly ultra wealthy people who want a flying jet ski.

Their challenge is you need to be a licensed pilot to fly it. It is light enough to be a UL, but without power, it won't meet the UL stall speed requirements. And if it is an N-numbered airplane, the reg's (and local gendarme) would probably frown on you landing it at your office parking lot in the city or suburbia.

Edit: But I love the concept. Unfortunately, our rules and reg's don't keep up with innovation very well.

Last edited:
Back