Black Rock City - Burning Man

Call me crazy but that many stoned hippies in one space does not constitute a "fun time" in my small, weathered, and limited edition book.

:dunno:

It's Oshkosh for "Artists" and they let the non-stoner (but possibly still hippie) pilots build a runway. Hard to complain about that... I'd rather go to Oshkosh though. :) :) :)

What does make me chuckle is that the event is "moneyless", right? I'm cool with that... but...

The event is also SOLD out. :)

Whether they want to say it's because they've hit their limit on their permits, or whatever... it's still economic scarcity and supply/demand in charge... even though they like to pretend it doesn't exist. ;)

Cracks me up.

My "Foster Brother" (long story... just our nickname for him) goes every year. He's an architect and graphic artist and pretty good at it. I notice that he's busy every year building stuff that won't fall and kill people but still looks cool. The same thing he does in "real life". He's probably also likely to be wasted on mushrooms or some other substance, but he's not saying.

I hear that takeoffs and landings at 88NV are "clothing optional". The pilots can't partake in the drug-induced ridiculousness, so they added their own version. ;)

I cannot forgive BM that they destroyed the playa for everyone else. The fine dust that they kick up deposits back on the surface and then the wind forms desert snakes out of it. Apparently it's a different material than the usual dust and the winter water cannot dissolve them. The playa used to be completely flat, but over the last 10 years it became useless for high-speed runs. Pilots and land sailors are hard hit too.

When the snakes just started to appear, Larry Harvey's PR lackeys tried to wash it over with claims that they were a natural phenomena. And indeed a snake or other always was a part of the playa, appearing and disappearing. But I think very few people believe it now, among those who remembers what the surface was in 1990s.

The BRC runway should be safe though. I'm sure they took a blade to that.

-- Pete

It's Oshkosh for "Artists" and they let the non-stoner (but possibly still hippie) pilots build a runway. Hard to complain about that... I'd rather go to Oshkosh though. :) :) :)

What does make me chuckle is that the event is "moneyless", right? I'm cool with that... but...

The event is also SOLD out. :)

Whether they want to say it's because they've hit their limit on their permits, or whatever... it's still economic scarcity and supply/demand in charge... even though they like to pretend it doesn't exist. ;)

Cracks me up.

My "Foster Brother" (long story... just our nickname for him) goes every year. He's an architect and graphic artist and pretty good at it. I notice that he's busy every year building stuff that won't fall and kill people but still looks cool. The same thing he does in "real life". He's probably also likely to be wasted on mushrooms or some other substance, but he's not saying.

I hear that takeoffs and landings at 88NV are "clothing optional". The pilots can't partake in the drug-induced ridiculousness, so they added their own version. ;)

Is that legal per the FARs? I would not know how to look that one up.

Had lunch in Quincy and then ran out there to see what 50,000 dirty people looked like from 2500' AGL. Funny they all seemed the same color and the dirt.....;)

Attachments

• Burning Man 8 o-clock.jpg
    Burning Man 8 o-clock.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 48
  • Burning Man one o-clock.jpg
    Burning Man one o-clock.jpg
    929.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Burning Man 2011.jpg
    Burning Man 2011.jpg
    649.7 KB · Views: 37
What?! No TFR over such a large sporting event?! The terrorists could have killed all the naked hippies!

(I'm just being a smart-ass.)

When I heard that there was a temporary airport on the playa I figured Burning Man would be something I'd like to do once in my life. I haven't gotten around to it.

Bm has their own pilot email thingamajiggie (I've had two beers tonight and can't remember what you call the circa 1990 ASCII text email lists). Anyway, among the gibberish are a lot of useful posts about actually flying in. What i recall reading is that the playa dust is very fine and i don't know that it is great for engine longevity. Plus, dust storms can pop up, and I can't image how I'd feel having that sandpaper blowing over my paint job.

I flew some charters in there last year. Pretty fun place to land.

Attachments

• IMG_1256_0116.jpg
    IMG_1256_0116.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 26
Back