Black Mold Testing

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Does anyone have any recommendations or PIREPS for home test kits testing for black mold and other such contaminants?

I have a top employee who occasionally must be tardy or absent because he or one of his family are sick with a respiratory related malady. Because he is renting in an older home, I'm suspicious of mold contamination.

There are many home testing kits on the market, but not much reliable info on which is worth spending money on. And at this stage, he would rather spend a small number of dollars on the home test to show the landlord remediation is needed and not the big bucks of hiring a testing contractor.

A contractor told me remediation consisted of a 10% bleach/water solution and a garden sprayer. Of course, that doesn't include removing drywall if you need to get behind it. But you could drill holes and patch.

Maybe it'd be easier just to treat, ask questions later?

Most mold test kits are worthless...visible moisture=mold and unless there is a leaking pipe or a history of this you not going to have it...There is no money in mold remediation in Texas because it was excluded from Insurance and that was because most of it was a scam. The lawyers also realize that the money train has also left the station. There is more mold in a tablespoon of Blue Cheese dressing than there is in most houses. Today flooded homes remove wet sheet rock, spray with bleach and water, re-rock and seal. Moving is about the only solution and I honestly see landlords that will penalize for breaking the lease as most of the "experts" were frauds....there is not standard or base line for homes that don't show moisture problems...

Back