Black max Engine dehydrator - beware

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by john cronin, Feb 18, 2021.

1. john cronin

john cronin Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    jc4461
    I just wanted to post a problem i noticed with my Black Max engine dehydrator and i want to make sure others are aware of a potential widespread problem with the black heavy duty fitting on the end of the tube which fits into the oil breather or the oil dipstick tube of the airplane. After several months of daily use ( inserting and removing every 2 or 3 days) The black sealing pieces broke in half at the joint. the top half remained with the plastic tube.... the bottom half broke off and remained ( in my case) in the oil dipstick tube about 2 inches down still be held to the sides with some friction. I was able to use a dental pick to gently remove the piece without it falling into the engine sump. I am in the process of looking for a plastic or heavy duty rubber fitting to replace it.
    It should be an easy fix once i identify a suitable replacement but I just wanted to let any users know of a potential problem. Who knows? maybe this is a "one off" problem and will never happen to anyone else but I thought i would post anyway.

John

Let'sgoflying! likes this.
  2. SoonerAviator

SoonerAviator Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    SoonerAviator
    I'd definitely report it to the manufacturer if you haven't already.

3. john cronin

Display Name:

Display name:
    jc4461
    definitely plan on reporting it ... in hopes they can machine a suitable fix.

4. TimRF79

TimRF79 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tim
    Can you post some pics, not sure i follow...

5. john cronin

Display Name:

Display name:
    jc4461
    here is a pic... IMG_1964.jpeg IMG_1965.jpeg The new one is on the right. The left one is what happened after about 35 uses or so....
    I think is i could machine a plastic replacement with a hole to put the tube through.. it would be great

6. TimRF79

TimRF79 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tim
    Thanks, this helps me understand your issue.
    Without knowing your plane/ engine, why did you chose the dipstick over the breather tube?

7. SoonerAviator

SoonerAviator Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    SoonerAviator
    Seems like a pretty crappy (cheap) solution from an engineering standpoint. I would think some type of rubber material would be better than cellular foam.

8. PaulS

PaulS Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    PaulS
    Big nope on that. I would throw it in the trash.

9. NordicDave

NordicDave Pattern Altitude PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    NordicDave
    Yeah, I thought most guys pick the breather tube option. I'm considering buying a BlackMax and how you definitely use the breather tube option. I appreciate learning from your decisions with why the oil dipstick tube. Learning point for me and not a critique.

john cronin likes this.
  10. john cronin

Display Name:

Display name:
    jc4461
    That's good question.... I have a 2019 Piper archer w/an io360.
    i wanted to use the breather tube ( which is the same design just much smaller..... but i couldn't ... For some reason the vent hole is located over 16 inches up into the engine compartment... i just didn't want to blindly ram this tub up that far to get past the breather tub vent hole. besides.. i would've to take the cowling off to actual see if i could ram it up ( think colonoscopy) to see if i got it past the vent hole every time. earlier archers ... the vent yube was only a couple inches about the tube exit. Didn't really have much of a choice.

When i mentioned it to the secretary.. she said she would pass it on, but stated i am the only one who this ever happened too... hard to believe... but that means essentially nothing will happen.