Black max Engine dehydrator - beware

john cronin

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jc4461
I just wanted to post a problem i noticed with my Black Max engine dehydrator and i want to make sure others are aware of a potential widespread problem with the black heavy duty fitting on the end of the tube which fits into the oil breather or the oil dipstick tube of the airplane. After several months of daily use ( inserting and removing every 2 or 3 days) The black sealing pieces broke in half at the joint. the top half remained with the plastic tube.... the bottom half broke off and remained ( in my case) in the oil dipstick tube about 2 inches down still be held to the sides with some friction. I was able to use a dental pick to gently remove the piece without it falling into the engine sump. I am in the process of looking for a plastic or heavy duty rubber fitting to replace it.
It should be an easy fix once i identify a suitable replacement but I just wanted to let any users know of a potential problem. Who knows? maybe this is a "one off" problem and will never happen to anyone else but I thought i would post anyway.

John

I just wanted to post a problem i noticed with my Black Max engine dehydrator and i want to make sure others are aware of a potential widespread problem with the black heavy duty fitting on the end of the tube which fits into the oil breather or the oil dipstick tube of the airplane. After several months of daily use ( inserting and removing every 2 or 3 days) The black sealing pieces broke in half at the joint. the top half remained with the plastic tube.... the bottom half broke off and remained ( in my case) in the oil dipstick tube about 2 inches down still be held to the sides with some friction. I was able to use a dental pick to gently remove the piece without it falling into the engine sump. I am in the process of looking for a plastic or heavy duty rubber fitting to replace it.
It should be an easy fix once i identify a suitable replacement but I just wanted to let any users know of a potential problem. Who knows? maybe this is a "one off" problem and will never happen to anyone else but I thought i would post anyway.

John

I'd definitely report it to the manufacturer if you haven't already.

definitely plan on reporting it ... in hopes they can machine a suitable fix.

John
Can you post some pics, not sure i follow...

here is a pic... IMG_1964.jpegIMG_1965.jpeg The new one is on the right. The left one is what happened after about 35 uses or so....
I think is i could machine a plastic replacement with a hole to put the tube through.. it would be great

here is a pic... View attachment 94217View attachment 94218 The new one is on the right. The left one is what happened after about 35 uses or so....
I think is i could machine a plastic replacement with a hole to put the tube through.. it would be great
Thanks, this helps me understand your issue.
Without knowing your plane/ engine, why did you chose the dipstick over the breather tube?

Seems like a pretty crappy (cheap) solution from an engineering standpoint. I would think some type of rubber material would be better than cellular foam.

Without knowing your plane/ engine, why did you chose the dipstick over the breather tube?

Yeah, I thought most guys pick the breather tube option. I'm considering buying a BlackMax and how you definitely use the breather tube option. I appreciate learning from your decisions with why the oil dipstick tube. Learning point for me and not a critique.

That's good question.... I have a 2019 Piper archer w/an io360.
i wanted to use the breather tube ( which is the same design just much smaller..... but i couldn't ... For some reason the vent hole is located over 16 inches up into the engine compartment... i just didn't want to blindly ram this tub up that far to get past the breather tub vent hole. besides.. i would've to take the cowling off to actual see if i could ram it up ( think colonoscopy) to see if i got it past the vent hole every time. earlier archers ... the vent yube was only a couple inches about the tube exit. Didn't really have much of a choice.

When i mentioned it to the secretary.. she said she would pass it on, but stated i am the only one who this ever happened too... hard to believe... but that means essentially nothing will happen.

JOHN C: Not sure you will see this post on your old thread - but am wondering how this all turned out. Were you able to get or make a replacement part? I'm considering an engine dehydrator and the Black Max is a possibility - but your issue concerns me because I think I'd need to use the oil fill tube also.

JOHN C: Not sure you will see this post on your old thread - but am wondering how this all turned out. Were you able to get or make a replacement part? I'm considering an engine dehydrator and the Black Max is a possibility - but your issue concerns me because I think I'd need to use the oil fill tube also.

I gave up on the project.... I couldn't find anyone local to fabricate a proper solution. Technically, if the bottle vent tube cannot be closed off completely while the dehydrator is in use.. the system will leak air and won't work correctly. i used the oil dipstick hole when i was using the dehydrator ... but could never seal off the bottom end anyway as the vent hole was located 16 inches from the outlet.. it would require me to take off the cowling every time i used it.. well.. that's not gonna happen.

I gave up on the project.... I couldn't find anyone local to fabricate a proper solution... could never seal off the bottom end anyway as the vent hole was located 16 inches from the outlet... it would require me to take off the cowling every time i used it.. well.. that's not gonna happen.
Appreciate the reply and added insight! Next time I'm at the hanger I'll need to double check the position of my oil breather tube and its vent (newly acquired RV6A). Unless it protrudes below the bottom cowl AND the vent is near the end - a dehydrator likely wont work for me either as the bottom is a pain to remove. Of course, I guess if I wont be flying for weeks/months maybe it would still be a viable option and worth the effort to protect the engine.

Appreciate the reply and added insight! Next time I'm at the hanger I'll need to double check the position of my oil breather tube and its vent (newly acquired RV6A). Unless it protrudes below the bottom cowl AND the vent is near the end - a dehydrator likely wont work for me either as the bottom is a pain to remove. Of course, I guess if I wont be flying for weeks/months maybe it would still be a viable option and worth the effort to protect the engine.
I just noticed on the blackMAX website..... they now have a CATHETER OPTION for those engines and planes with a vent hole higher than it should be... according to the website.... you pass the catheter ip the tube past the vent hole.. then inflate the small balloon with a syringe included to seal off the vent tube... just a thought... that must be their solution to all us guys with long tubes with the hole in the wrong place lol

Rubber stoppers from Amazon. Drill a hole and insert a tube or a barb fitting for a tube. Insert the rubber stopper/dehydrator tube into your breather outlet from underneath.

Attachments

• 400F9F01-4AFF-4632-91D5-4BCB036096A4.jpeg
    400F9F01-4AFF-4632-91D5-4BCB036096A4.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Rubber stoppers from Amazon. Drill a hole and insert a tube or a barb fitting for a tube. Insert the rubber stopper/dehydrator tube into your breather outlet from underneath.

How does that deal with the vent hole?

I'm not familiar with this piece of equipment. Is this listed as a necessary device in the Archer POH? :dunno:

I'm not familiar with this piece of equipment. Is this listed as a necessary device in the Archer POH? :dunno:
No, an engine dehydrator is simply a way to try to prevent/reduce internal engine corrosion for planes that aren't flown as frequently as recommended to prevent such corrosion. Optional - just like a hanger is one option to protect your plane from the elements but isn't required.

How does that deal with the vent hole?
Do you mean the whistle hole? I taped mine closed but I doubt it would make any difference if left open. A 1/8” hole in a 3/4” tube’s sidewall isn’t going to lose much. When using my homemade dehydrators I insert an aquarium humidity gauge into the oil filler and pack a rag in the opening. I get low single digit internal engine humidity. No rust threat at that.

No, an engine dehydrator is simply a way to try to prevent/reduce internal engine corrosion for planes that aren't flown as frequently as recommended to prevent such corrosion. Optional - just like a hanger is one option to protect your plane from the elements but isn't required.
Thank you

I just noticed on the blackMAX website..... they now have a CATHETER OPTION for those engines and planes with a vent hole higher than it should be... according to the website.... you pass the catheter ip the tube past the vent hole.. then inflate the small balloon with a syringe included to seal off the vent tube... just a thought... that must be their solution to all us guys with long tubes with the hole in the wrong place lol

We considered options for both preheating our IO540 and for managing humidity a couple years ago. After looking at reef and Tanis-style and sump-heat systems we elected to go with the "Twin Hornet Engine Heater" we found at Sportys. (We have no relationship with the manufacturer or resellers). We place it in the cowling and install the cowl-plugs after every flight. Keeps the engine 65+F 24/7 in the hangar. We haven't checked humidity in the case, however, this heater is a source of dry heat and mostly eliminates condensation 2/2 daily cool/warm temperature cycling. Plus the oil temp is probably around 180 when we place it after a flight. It's cheap, comes with a nice carry case and there's no permanent installation. YMMV.

Heat accelerates corrosion. I never considered using a dehydrator until I moved the planes indoors. In a perfect world I'd like the planes to stay frozen but for hangar life the dehydrators are very effective.

Heat worsens corrosion, up to a point (like, 200F) - then it reduces corrosion.

However, it may be that we are looking at the wrong factor entirely.
Someone figure a way to remove the oxygen from engine internals and they will drastically reduce corrosion.
N2 tank, anyone?

Attachments

• Corrosion.pdf
    106.2 KB · Views: 3
I tried that. Added argon at the dipstick (Continental) and was measuring oxygen at the oil filler. It lasted less than 2 seconds. Unless you remove exhaust and intakes and block those openings the gas escapes as fast as you inject it. Open valves hadn't occurred to me.

Problem with freezing is the damage that occurs to avionics. I installed a $3500 replacement G1000 MFD display screen this month. Better to keep it all warm. Of course flying it once a week will probably always be the best answer to corrosion.

Last edited:

John
Out of curiosity, pulling in and out every 2-3 days? Aren’t these really intended for longer periods of disuse, like multiple weeks/months? Sounds like a regular flyer.

Back