Bizarre re-routes

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
So, I'm in Concord, and headed to Winston-Salem tomorrow for the games.

Flight was nice, but this is what I filed for the trip CHA->JQF:

CHA->HRS->UNARM->UNARM.ONE->JQF

And this was accepted into the system.

I get to the airport, program the GPS, get ATIS, fire up the plane, and call CD: "We have a re-route for ya, advise when ready to copy." So I get this:

CHA->VXV->BZM->OWALT->JQF

WTF???

Take me to Knoxville, then over the highest part of the mountains. Ugh.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N4147T

If had filed for PDK VOR then direct JQF, Atlanta TRACON would have surely kept you well north of Class B and you would be on your original route. Odd, but I bet it would have played out that way.

Did you actually fly it that way ? I've had CLT re-route me once in their airspace.

Did you actually fly it that way ? I've had CLT re-route me once in their airspace.

I was on the ground with CD before departure then I got that routing. Do I have a choice? I didn't think so, and there was enough clouds enroute that I wanted IR. I guess I could have just gone VFR and flown where I wanted.

What can one do when they don't get the route they filed?

I was on the ground with CD before departure then I got that routing. Do I have a choice? I didn't think so, and there was enough clouds enroute that I wanted IR. I guess I could have just gone VFR and flown where I wanted.

I'll be interested in the reply to this question from those that have lots of IFR experience. I know you can reject the clearance (you're PIC!), but how much room is there to negotiate a new clearance/route, and how long does it typically take to get it approved?

There are times I have declined a clearance. When I am filing from KSMD (Ft. Wayne) to home I file direct EON then direct 10C. This is around the Chicago airspace and out of my way but I know it is the over land route. About half the time the computer will spit out GIJ V-something OBK then 10C. That will take me out over the middle of lake Michigan. When I get that I copy the clearance and then reply UNABLE request no over water.

Sometimes I get a sigh from ATC but they then just put me on a heading and go back and get direct EON.

Now there are other times when you get stuff you don't want as it takes you out of your way. Then I just request direct to what I want. I try to ask when they are not too busy so that they will take the time to help. If they are busy I don't want to irate them so I suck it up.

More often than not you can negotiate for something more to your liking although there's never any guarantee that the route won't change again down the road. In fact many times I've been given a route I didn't particularly like by one controller only to have the next one clear me on a route much closer to what I filed in the first place.

I just flew from PDK to CPS with an instrument student so he could get some hood time. On the return, he wanted to fly a DP and STAR and had filed them under my name. But with weather changes, I decided to forgo those procedures for a more expedient route to stay ahead of freezing precip. My flight plan was to have been modified. It wasn't. We get to Nashville and start getting clearances for the STAR. By that time, things were looking pretty clear so it wasn't a big deal. But, they sure don't do anything to modify filed plans as FSS says has been done.

Once nice thing about it all was we were doing 191 Kts GS for about a fourth of the trip. Not too shabby for a 182T straight leg! Settings were only 21" and 2200 RPM.

Back