Biting the Bullet, Hangar Rental

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
So I'm going to bite the bullet and after 23 years as an aircraft ownership and rent a hangar.

A friend and neighbor offered his hangar as a rental. Norm is a tug boat captain who works SE AK pulling barges. In the 15 years I have known him he rarely gets home. He is always on the water towing barges through out SE AK waters. Work has been slow for some reason this summer for him and he needs a little extra cash. He talked to me about selling his hanger and 1966 172. Told him I would rent his hangar and he could put the 172 in my tie down.

Hangar space in Juneau is hard to come by and hangers are very expensive. A "T" hanger goes for about $85,000. So I'm going to help a friend earn a little extra cash and rent the hangar for$400/mo. I will still be paying for my tie down. My cost will be $460/mo, $400/mo for hanger and $60/mo for the tie down.

I figure I can work 2 extra days a month to cover the cost. I make about $375/day.

Renting the hangar will give me the opportunity to due work on the Sport I have wanted to do for a longtime. Some of the projects I plan on completing before winter are:
-Painting the wings
-Install a 406 ELT
-Install a heated pito
-Send tach, VS indicator and TC out for overhaul.

Hope this works out well for Norm and myself...:)

Last edited:
I would do it as $460 for the hangar and him tying down his plane is his problem. You don't own the tie down spot do you? Technically you aren't renting him "your" spot. Of course if you are doing the actual paperwork this way then "nevermind". :D Just don't want you getting and paying the $60 bill when it's not your plane in that spot.

I would do it as $460 for the hangar and him tying down his plane is his problem. You don't own the tie down spot do you? Technically you aren't renting him "your" spot. Of course if you are doing the actual paperwork this way then "nevermind". :D Just don't want you getting and paying the $60 bill when it's not your plane in that spot.
But Bill is talking about "hangers", not "hangars".
(Sorry Bill, no offense meant).

But Bill is talking about "hangers", not "hangars".
(Sorry Bill, no offense meant).
Yup, when I first saw the thread title, I thought this was going to be about donating a kidney and using a... well, you know what... to get it out. :eek: :D

Yup, when I first saw the thread title, I thought this was going to be about donating a kidney and using a... well, you know what... to get it out. :eek: :D
Wow, I guess I need to take a nap...:) Guess working 14 days straight underground in a silver mine is taking its toll on me ..:)

Congrats Bill! Your cost is inline with many major cities but your weather can be worse. I think you will find yourself flying more this winter...or at least enjoying the flying more and you get the added bonus of completing your work in shelter.

I've always considered the cost of my hangar to be part of my insurance cost. One good hail storm around here can ruin an airplane. As a bonus, keeping it in the hangar has allowed me to save on annuals, oil changes, and other maintenance.

I've always considered the cost of my hangar to be part of my insurance cost. One good hail storm around here can ruin an airplane. As a bonus, keeping it in the hangar has allowed me to save on annuals, oil changes, and other maintenance.
Hail, that's a nasty word.. Glad we don't get hail here in SE AK. I'm going to be happy working on the plane. I can open it up and come back to finish a project, instead of open and close the same day on the ramp....:rolleyes:

I can’t imagine tying an airplane down in Alaska. I’ve always thought airplanes belong indoors. Once the dark path you have started on, forever will it guide your destiny. It will make flying a far more pleasent experience.

I can’t imagine tying an airplane down in Alaska. I’ve always thought airplanes belong indoors. Once the dark path you have started on, forever will it guide your destiny. It will make flying a far more pleasent experience.
Probably more planes tied down outside in AK than hangared. Sure will make winter operation a lot more fun. Plug in the preheater pad and set it on a timer, done. No covers to remove, no taking the generator to the airport 3 hours before a flight to start the preheat, no shoveling snow, no worrying about rain corroding the airframe. I think I like it already....:)

Check with your insurance carrier...you may get a small discount for being hangared.

Check with your insurance carrier...you may get a small discount for being hangared.
Don't think there are discounts for Alaska residents for anything. Bring up the word "Alaska" and the prices go up..:( It's all good just trying to have fun and enjoy what I have..:rolleyes:

Well got out early and did a short flight, about 1 1/2 hrs. "T" hanger is a little tight but it works. Norm built a loft in the back part of the hanger. Stairs up to loft are at the back of the hanger. I truly need to be spot on with the tail not to hit the stairs. Already planning on what to do for the next few months.

Tami (wife) said I know you, your going to keep me busy cleaning up behind you... Well at least she knows what's up...:rolleyes:

Back