Bison Gores Man in Yellowstone

nddons

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Stan
Ow ow ow. http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2012/06...n-yellowstone-park-throws-him-10-feet-in-air/

That's one way to try to kill yourself. :mad2:

That reminds me of when we were up on Rocky Mountain National Park, right near the Continental Divide. There were a dozen or so elk in an open pasture area, right near a turn-off. They were about 200 yards away.

All of the sudden, some 30-something moron pulls up in her Subaru, gets out and starts running toward the elk with one of those disposable cameras. Someone yelled "Lady, those elk WILL charge you!" But of course that didn't stop the Darwin award candidate. She continued to run until about 50 yards from the elk and started snapping pictures. I was saying to myself "Oh please oh please oh please" hoping that Ms. Darwin would learn her last lesson, but alas the Elk were satisfied just to watch her.

Ow ow ow. http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2012/06...n-yellowstone-park-throws-him-10-feet-in-air/

That's one way to try to kill yourself. :mad2:

That reminds me of when we were up on Rocky Mountain National Park, right near the Continental Divide. There were a dozen or so elk in an open pasture area, right near a turn-off. They were about 200 yards away.

All of the sudden, some 30-something moron pulls up in her Subaru, gets out and starts running toward the elk with one of those disposable cameras. Someone yelled "Lady, those elk WILL charge you!" But of course that didn't stop the Darwin award candidate. She continued to run until about 50 yards from the elk and started snapping pictures. I was saying to myself "Oh please oh please oh please" hoping that Ms. Darwin would learn her last lesson, but alas the Elk were satisfied just to watch her.

People do similar things with Moose here in Maine. Moose, especially during mating season, can be extremely dangerous. We get a ton of tourists throughout the year. When driving up north, you can always tell when there's a moose on the side of the road. There will be a line of cars with their flashers on, people outside their vehicles taking pictures.

I don't hunt anymore (never had the heart to kill anything) but when I did, I was always more worried about walking up on a Moose than a Bear.

Stan. Was that during the Elk festival in Estes Park? I've seen that happen too. They're big animals, they come down to town and hang out everywhere that time of year. They look docile, and sometimes are, but sometimes they aren't.

I rented a cabin one weekend just outside of RMNP in Estes Park, and heard my dog starting to growl. I got up, and there was a huge bull elk staring in the window at him. He wasn't amused. Yeah, don't pet the elk, they will stomp you good! :D

People do similar things with Moose here in Maine. Moose, especially during mating season, can be extremely dangerous. We get a ton of tourists throughout the year. When driving up north, you can always tell when there's a moose on the side of the road. There will be a line of cars with their flashers on, people outside their vehicles taking pictures.

I don't hunt anymore (never had the heart to kill anything) but when I did, I was always more worried about walking up on a Moose than a Bear.

I recall a time hiking in Kathadin on a fairly well traveled trail. Came around a corner by the lake to a loud noise. There was mama Moose in the pond foraging, with baby moose standing near the trail ahead.....

I had to stop a Darwin couple from proceeding between Mama Moose and Baby Moose.

I recall a time hiking in Kathadin on a fairly well
I had to stop a Darwin couple from proceeding between Mama Moose and Baby Moose.

You could have very well saved them a trip to the hospital.

What can one expect? We feed our kids all sorts of Hollywood's baloney about Bambi and other friendly and cute and cuddly animals, then they grow up and go into the wilds and expect those animals to be friendly and cuddly. Feeding the bears and all that.

Need some reality animation shows where the kid gets eaten.

Dan

Stan. Was that during the Elk festival in Estes Park? I've seen that happen too. They're big animals, they come down to town and hang out everywhere that time of year. They look docile, and sometimes are, but sometimes they aren't.

I rented a cabin one weekend just outside of RMNP in Estes Park, and heard my dog starting to growl. I got up, and there was a huge bull elk staring in the window at him. He wasn't amused. Yeah, don't pet the elk, they will stomp you good! :D

I don't think so. It was probably late June through mid-July timeframe in the early 2000's. Love that area though. We stayed at the Stanley Hotel (overhyped "The Shining" hotel). There was a rodeo in town which was very cool.

Here's another funny story from that trip. Someone said that I should drive up Old Fall River Road (one way road up to the summit) to see the snow fields at night. We did that, and only had one car pass us on the way up. (I'm glad I had a weapon too as I was more concerned about 2 legged animals than the 4 legged animals.)

Anyway, it was a cloudy night, and didn't see too much of the snow fields. Above the tree line, I turned a corner, and in front of me was a bunch of elk. OK, up to this point, I was the coolest dad ever. At the ranger station, they said that you should turn your lights off if you come upon some elk so as not to scare them I guess. So, I pulled out my new Cabela's night scope and, stupidly, tried to look through the windshield of the car. Yes, I know that the refracted light on the glass will wash out anything you otherwise could see. So I got out of the car (remember it was really dark with high cirrus clouds blocking most of the moon) and started trying to focus the night scope at the elk. As I stood next to the car looking forward, I heard a "snort" which felt like it was 20 feet behind me at my 7 o'clock.

I got in the car about as fast as I could, and told my wife and daughter that it's time to go. My pulse settled down a few minutes later. I didn't think that I was the coolest dad ever any more, but fortunately my daughter still thought I was. :redface:

We were in Yellowstone a couple weeks ago and had a tour from a ranger that had been there for 30 or so years, great stories about stupid people and animals. Apparently one night in front of a large picture window at one of the hotels a drunk sees a Bison, gets out a red bandana and plays Zoro the bullfighter! While his family watched in horror.:yikes: They life flighted the body parts, but it was too late!
Another couple of geniuses followed a Grizzly bear into the forest to get better pictures of her and her cubs! :hairraise: I can't remember if it was the husband or the wife, but one was faster than the other and lived to blame the bear!:mad2:

Another couple of geniuses followed a Grizzly bear into the forest to get better pictures of her and her cubs! :hairraise: I can't remember if it was the husband or the wife, but one was faster than the other and lived to blame the bear!:mad2:

"I don't have to be faster than the bear, I just have to be faster than you...."

Conversations heard in Yellowstone:

Tourist 1: So how'd you folks get up here, drive?

Tourist 2: No, I'm a pilot we have a small plane. We flew in yesterday.

Tourist 1: Pilot huh. We just fired up the Winnebago, threw the grand kids in the back, and rolled on up. Drove straight through in just 20 hours.

Tourist 2: Sounds like fun.

Tourist 1: Sure is. Flying them little planes, crazy stupid if you ask me. Sometimes I can't believe they let anyone under 18 in one of those.

Tourist 2: Well it's not quite that bad.

Tourist 1: Hate to cut this short. See I'm taking the kids in that Grizzly den over there for some real pictures. Those little cubs are so cute, I bet its like a little petting zoo inside that cave. I don't think mama will mind since we brought her a steak to eat.

Tourist 2: I don't think I'd do that.

Tourist 1: HA, ha, you just try to keep that thing in the air cowboy.

I used to pet moose and chase off grizzly bears in alaska.I guess it's all what you get used to. Throwing nerf footballs at them works well to keep them from eating all your plants. Back when I used to smoke, all summer long in my smoking spot there was juvenile male moose who just liked to hang out there. I bet I smoked a carton of cigs standing 5' from him.

Big difference between a local being around an animal and a tourist.:yikes: local knowledge goes a long way.;)

I used to pet moose and chase off grizzly bears in alaska.I guess it's all what you get used to. Throwing nerf footballs at them works well to keep them from eating all your plants. Back when I used to smoke, all summer long in my smoking spot there was juvenile male moose who just liked to hang out there. I bet I smoked a carton of cigs standing 5' from him.

Back