Birthday present ideas for my husband?

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Maybe you all might be able to give me some suggestions for Tom’s birthday coming up next week? I’m totally out of ideas.

We already have every aviation book, video, movie, and piece of clothing (including watches) that is out there.

I’ve given him flying-type activities as presents in the past, including his first TW lesson, float plane lessons, a tandem parachute jump (that was interesting and he doesn’t ever want to do THAT again…oops :hairraise: ), helicopter lesson, glider ride, etc.

Last year I assembled a book for him with some incredible personal and touching thoughts from his family, friends, and students. I’ve also made a video set to music for him of our flying together over the years as a present.

He doesn’t really need more stuff or want more stuff. Well, except a Garmin 496, and that’s not in our price range yet.

I’ve had lots of parties for him in the past, and have planned a dinner with several of our friends this year. But I still want to do something special for him.

Do you all have any ideas/suggestions? I’m stumped. Help!

Diana ------ It is hard to buy for the guy that has everything. Maybe a romantic eveing with his favorite pilot. Bob

Any family members he sees very infrequently that you could fly in?

Or how about a Belly Dancer.... :D

-Skip

Maybe you all might be able to give me some suggestions for Tom’s birthday coming up next week? I’m totally out of ideas.

Fuzzy handcuffs & shackles. You can trade off who wears em.

Nope, not gonna say it. I'm just not.

:goofy:

I think you should hire him a full time runway groomer.

I can start next week. :goofy:

Diana:

As a long-married old coot, I can tell you that Henning has hit it on the head, here.

Joking aside, most guys are less-concerned with getting a "thing" from the wives, and more interested in getting to share cool experiences, do fun things, such like that.

If fuzzy handcuffs and shackles help, well, what the hell- you're grown-ups! :yes:

Diana:

As a long-married old coot, I can tell you that Henning has hit it on the head, here.

Joking aside, most guys are less-concerned with getting a "thing" from the wives, and more interested in getting to share cool experiences, do fun things, such like that.

If fuzzy handcuffs and shackles help, well, what the hell- you're grown-ups! :yes:
:D Well, at least I now know what some of you guys want for your birthday. :yes:

Take it from someone who's been dispatched to "un-handcuff/shackle" people from these things before...if you do this, make SURE the key works, and is within reaching distance during all times. :D

As my first true love once told me "what good is a man without hands?"

Viveca and I have a standing birthday present. On our birthdays we can do WHATEVER we want and the other will not only tolerate it but like it or at least pretend convincingly.

Combat Air sounds good except for the stories of overstressed T-34s.

Personally my favorite is a weekend fly-in to someplace remote with a decent hotel, nice scenery, and at least one great restaurant.

Joe

As my first true love once told me "what good is a man without hands?"

Viveca and I have a standing birthday present. On our birthdays we can do WHATEVER we want and the other will not only tolerate it but like it or at least pretend convincingly.

That's a good attitude and ability, but I bet you two carry that most of the time as well.

Combat Air sounds good except for the stories of overstressed T-34s.

Well, we can't all have our own T-28s. Oh yeah, how goes the leg and the medical?

Personally my favorite is a weekend fly-in to someplace remote with a decent hotel, nice scenery, and at least one great restaurant.

Joe

Someplace warm. Few hours south should take care of it.

Why not something totally new and a little different from flying but similar enough he may like it? Like sailing. Seems a lot of pilots are attracted to sailing or boating as well. A sunset cruise or sunrise cruise would be nice. I've always wanted to do a sunrise balloon ride too.

Why not something totally new and a little different from flying but similar enough he may like it? Like sailing. Seems a lot of pilots are attracted to sailing or boating as well. A sunset cruise or sunrise cruise would be nice. I've always wanted to do a sunrise balloon ride too.
They'd have to fly to do it. All the lakes in their area are solid this time of year.

They'd have to fly to do it. All the lakes in their area are solid this time of year.

This is true... with my 72 degree temp outside here at the moment, I didn't think about that.:dunno: :D

In the early years when we were poor, my favorite presents were items that we could technically afford, but that would stretch the budget enough that I wouldn't buy them out of guilt.

When we were less poor and I had more doodads, my favorite presents were experiences together that I really wanted to do, but she was a bit skeptical of. Two that spring to mind are her coming flying with me (first and last time) and doing a sailing lesson on Chesapeake Bay together. The latter involved a weekend away together as well as the lessons.

Chris

Which airplane did you go in?

Well, it looks like Aircombat is coming to KC in September, and I would LOVE to fly in the SIAI Marchetti. Oops this is about Tom. :D If he did something like fly in a SF-260, then I would have to do it too. :)

I flew the Marchetti SF-260, neat little airplane, lots of power. During my dogfights I hit 5 g's on the meter several times. I was so sore the next day it was unreal:yes: I have a video from inside the aircraft of the whole thing, someday I need to convert it from VHS. My wife can't watch it, it makes her sick. Yes it did require a sick-sac for me about 5 dogfights in. Between the May heat in Phoenix, the smoke system stinking up the inside of the airplane, and lots of g's I turned green, lol. I would do it again in a minute.

Last edited:
Well, it looks like Aircombat is coming to KC in September, and I would LOVE to fly in the SIAI Marchetti. Oops this is about Tom. :D If he did something like fly in a SF-260, then I would have to do it too. :)

Well, then get "him" the present of getting to chase you around the sky in a pair of SF260's. But watch out... I like the SF260, might have to come shoot you both down. :yes: :D

Knowing how much Tom flys and his general ambivalence toward aerobatics, skydiving, etc. I'm going to suggest something completely unrelated to flying.

How about a drive to KC for a night at the Raphael or a room at the Intercontinental on the Plaza? Lots of nice restaurants around there... maybe something different like The Melting Pot.

Spend a little, spend a lot. I take my family up there every Christmas and we have a great time just walking around and window shopping.

Doesn't Tom read PoA? If so, anything we suggest is gonna be known right away.

That said, I suggest a long trip, to share experiences together. Good luck Diana.

Diana,

You reach a point in relationships where material gifts begin to pale in comparison to unique, wonderful experiences and memories.

I booked a trip here for my wife's birthday.

http://www.plantationsuites.com/

2mhzt52.jpg

There is a nice airport right on the island (KRAS) about two miles from the village with a free shuttle on the hour into town. At the resort, you can do virtually anything you want to do and you're only about a five minute walk to the warm waters of the Texas Gulf Coast. It's an easy airport to negotiate (just bring your own ropes for tie-downs--they have anchors) and we just loaded up the Cardinal and headed down.

They have packages for two night stays that are around $300 that include two nights in a suite with a king-size bed, jacuzzi tub, free hot continental breakfasts, tickets to the Texas Aquarium in Corpus Christi, tickets to the USS Lexington (also docked at Corpus), a 1.5 hour cruise of dolphin watching, etc.

Absolute helluva deal.

My wife loved it, but I think I enjoyed it even more.

Regards.

-JD

www.cibolocreekranch.com

670NM- that's kinda far in a 172, but once there... mmmm.

No phone in the rooms. No TV in the rooms. Food to die for. And a 4400' strip to land on.

We already have every aviation book, video, movie, and piece of clothing (including watches) that is out there.

I’ve given him flying-type activities as presents in the past, including his first TW lesson, float plane lessons, a tandem parachute jump (that was interesting and he doesn’t ever want to do THAT again…oops :hairraise: ), helicopter lesson, glider ride, etc.

Last year I assembled a book for him with some incredible personal and touching thoughts from his family, friends, and students. I’ve also made a video set to music for him of our flying together over the years as a present.

He doesn’t really need more stuff or want more stuff. Well, except a Garmin 496, and that’s not in our price range yet.

I’ve had lots of parties for him in the past, and have planned a dinner with several of our friends this year. But I still want to do something special for him.

What to buy for the guy who has everything? A belly button lint cleaner... No one else thinks of it, you can make it, and its a good "extra" to go with anything you already have for a good laugh and a "what the heck?" look.

Knowing how much Tom flys and his general ambivalence toward aerobatics, skydiving, etc. I'm going to suggest something completely unrelated to flying.
You have a good point. Sometimes I forget everything isn't about flying. :)

How about a drive to KC for a night at the Raphael or a room at the Intercontinental on the Plaza? Lots of nice restaurants around there... maybe something different like The Melting Pot.
Great ideas. We can even stay at the InterContinental for free. I may just plan to do that. Thanks. :)

You reach a point in relationships where material gifts begin to pale in comparison to unique, wonderful experiences and memories.
I agree JD. Sometimes it's the intangible things that have more significance and lasting impact.

I booked a trip here for my wife's birthday.
http://www.plantationsuites.com/
There is a nice airport right on the island (KRAS) about two miles from the village with a free shuttle on the hour into town. At the resort, you can do virtually anything you want to do and you're only about a five minute walk to the warm waters of the Texas Gulf Coast. It's an easy airport to negotiate (just bring your own ropes for tie-downs--they have anchors) and we just loaded up the Cardinal and headed down.
JD, this looks like a great place! I wish I would have asked you all sooner...I would have arranged to go down there for his birthday. If we don't make it down there this year sometime, I may try to do it for his birthday next year.

Thanks!

Back