Birds & Beacons

NHWannabe

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
NHWannabe
I'm sure this isn't the first time this has happened. Does anyone have a good solution to birds perching on the beacon?

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    915.4 KB · Views: 17
  • image0 (1).jpeg
    image0 (1).jpeg
    733.5 KB · Views: 17
Put something over it that's pointed so they can't land on it. Just remember to take it off during preflight ...

Glue a short piece to the top of the beacon. Or use velcro. If you forget to remove and lose it cut off another piece.
Search Amazon for "bird spikes".

Spikes don't work for some birds, I got tired of cleaning bird poop off ours.

Have wondered if this stuff is any good.
First thing I'd want to check is that it is legal federally and in my state.
You do not want to get crossways with the people protecting migratory or endangered birds!

Upside coffee can with styrofoam inside to protect the beacon and bird spikes on top. When you follow your checklist remove when you check the beacon...

Spikes don't work for some birds, I got tired of cleaning bird poop off ours.

I have an electric box on the wall, near the ceiling of my front porch. For a couple of years I was constantly cleaning poop off the porch. Then I glued some bird spikes to the top of the box. Voila! No more poop on the porch.

I have an electric box on the wall, near the ceiling of my front porch. For a couple of years I was constantly cleaning poop off the porch. Then I glued some bird spikes to the top of the box. Voila! No more poop on the porch.
Oh! I never thought of electrifying them! Good job.

Upside coffee can with styrofoam inside to protect the beacon and bird spikes on top. When you follow your checklist remove when you check the beacon...
I'd be worried that something like that might become a projectile in a wind storm, and damage either my own plane or another one nearby....

Just brainstorming here...but it seems like a simple short 1 or 2 wire, maybe 1 or 2 inches long spike or spikes, glued to the top off the beacon could be just left there and not interfere with anything.......but I suppose that would be a permanent modification.... ugh

Back