Bird in the prop

MikeLima

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
MikeLima
My brother shreddd a crow while flying today with our Cherokee (0-320). Other than the obvious blood and guts spread across the front of the cowling and one wing, there is no apparent damage. The bird hit the prop about 12 inches out from the spinner.

So, good to go? Or is this one of those prop strike things I keep hearing about?

Nailed two, both work planes, both turbines, but if you didn't "feel it", don't see any damage at all, I'd say clean it and you should be good. Normally crows are smart enough to not get nailed

I have hit ducks, geese, ravens, seagulls and many little chi chi birds with the prop(s). The only damage I have found was to the birds.

As long as it wasn't a sudden stoppage or severely slowed it would not be a considered a prop strike.

My brother shreddd a crow while flying today with our Cherokee (0-320). Other than the obvious blood and guts spread across the front of the cowling and one wing, there is no apparent damage. The bird hit the prop about 12 inches out from the spinner.

So, good to go? Or is this one of those prop strike things I keep hearing about?
This is a win for singles. If he was in a twin that crow may have been in his lap or worse.

I've hit a bird with a prop and all was well. Just had to clean up the mess from the blood and guts.

This isn't a very helpful post. The propeller shredded a bird. That doesn't have any relativity to a prop strike or sudden stoppage.

A link to a roll of paper towels and a spray bottle of household cleaner would be more on point. No need to confuse somebody who is already unsure of what action to take.

Wash the aircraft. blood and guts are corrosive.

This isn't a very helpful post. The propeller shredded a bird. That doesn't have any relativity to a prop strike or sudden stoppage.

A link to a roll of paper towels and a spray bottle of household cleaner would be more on point. No need to confuse somebody who is already unsure of what action to take.

Next time please read the original post. He asked if this was "one of those prop strike things". I give him credit for wanting to find out more about it. So I Gave hime the link to what a prop strike is according to lycoming. I think it was very on point. I could have just said, no and he would not have any idea why it is not.

Bob

Back