Biplane trade

dlawr

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
S. Dave
I have a nice Hatz Biplane and would consider trading for an exceptional C-140 or 150/152 Taildragger. It has an 0-290/125 h.p. eng. Beautiful airplane,lands like a cub. Wife must take dog everywhere & is nervous about dog egressing from the front pit. Thanks, Dave.

Not necessary with a Hatz...Cub time will do....Dave

I wasn't suggesting Pitts time to get proficient enough for the Hatz. I was suggesting that after you've flown a Pitts, nothing else will ever do it for you. A Pitts in just about any variation is the most honest and capable aerobatic airplane you can fly. Go to any aerobatic contest and you'll see a ramp full of Pitts and a few other airplanes. Why, because besides it's great performance, it's about as well understood and robust design as has ever made for acro. With the right training (spin, upset, t/o/landing training), it's an airplane that'll bring you back safely and be more fun than anything you can fly.

The question you have to ask yourself is: Are you enough pilot for it? If you don't own one, you'll never know...

/7500

Sorry for the interruption. Please go back to discussing Hatzes.

I wasn't suggesting Pitts time to get proficient enough for the Hatz. I was suggesting that after you've flown a Pitts, nothing else will ever do it for you. A Pitts in just about any variation is the most honest and capable aerobatic airplane you can fly. Go to any aerobatic contest and you'll see a ramp full of Pitts and a few other airplanes. Why, because besides it's great performance, it's about as well understood and robust design as has ever made for acro. With the right training (spin, upset, t/o/landing training), it's an airplane that'll bring you back safely and be more fun than anything you can fly.

The question you have to ask yourself is: Are you enough pilot for it? If you don't own one, you'll never know...

/7500

How does it compare to say...an Extra?

(Ooops...sorry O.P. Guess I've learned ADD from POA)

How does it compare to say...an Extra?

(Ooops...sorry O.P. Guess I've learned ADD from POA)

An Extra is a fine, certified aerobatic airplane and it's probably the second most popular aircraft you'll see at contests. The 200's are way underpowered and not nearly as responsive as just about any Pitts or the Extra 300's. A 300 or the newer 330's are competitive up through Advanced and Unlimited respectively - the current World Unlimited Champ flew an Extra 330 SC. If you never flew a Pitts or something light like a Giles, you might not ever feel like you made the wrong choice. I think an Extra 300L feels like a lot heavier airplane than my S-2C and it's a bit more punishing to the pilot. It feels a little like an aerobatic truck compared to the Pitts. And, they're a lot more expensive new or used. A new Extra is going to push over $400K. A 6 year old S-2C sold this past year for $200K with a little over a hundred hours on it.

When I bought mine, I flew both the S-2C and Nancy Lynn's then brand new 300L for 10+ hours each and felt there was a clear winner in just about every measure I put on it. I picked up my S-2C at Oshkosh in '04 and after 6 years of competition flying it looks and drives like a new one.

Back