Bill Suffa's visit to Twin Oaks :)

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
It started with air taxi service from LLU into 08MO in a Citabria. Bill may have been surprised by the room for all his luggage in the Citabria. :)

These are a few of the things I enjoyed sharing with Bill on his visit:

Appreciation of the intoxicating smell of a thousand honeysuckle flowers on a humid day.

Sitting in front of the hangar drinking a Moosehead, talking aviation and aviation people and traveling, while watching shooting stars and lightning bugs and a full moon and moon shadows.

Standing outside in awe of the energy of an approaching storm. (I hope Bill will post his pictures here.)

Thanks for coming to see us Bill; Tom and I enjoyed your visit and hope you'll come back this way again. :yes:

Diana said:
It started with air taxi service from LLU into 08MO in a Citabria. Bill may have been surprised by the room for all his luggage in the Citabria. :)

These are a few of the things I enjoyed sharing with Bill on his visit:

Appreciation of the intoxicating smell of a thousand honeysuckle flowers on a humid day.

Sitting in front of the hangar drinking a Moosehead, talking aviation and aviation people and traveling, while watching shooting stars and lightning bugs and a full moon and moon shadows.

Standing outside in awe of the energy of an approaching storm. (I hope Bill will post his pictures here.)

Thanks for coming to see us Bill; Tom and I enjoyed your visit and hope you'll come back this way again. :yes:

Diana,

Thank you and Tom for a really nice visit. I got the best night's sleep of my entire trip out in the Hangar. Must have been the Citabria keeping me company....

It was worth the terrible headwinds and long trip out of Manassas yesterday. 40-50 Kts from KLOU to KLLU. Like flying westbound in the wintertime.

I made up for a bit of that today on the way back, about the only real tailwinds on the entire trip. The whole trip was KSSF - KLIT - KISZ - KHEF - KLOU - KLLU - KSSF.

The weather was too bad this morning to go flying. I wish I'd had the chance to take you up in the Commander... and do a little aerobatics in the Citabria.

The pictures show the sky this morning. Diana, Tom, and I were fascinated.

I enjoyed the songbirds, the great company, talking about travel - places - people we know, and expecially to sit at the hangar enjoying a beer at sunset.

bill

Joe Williams said:
Those are some very wild cloud pics.
One of those times I was wishing we had a basement! :yes:

Bill wasn't worried (or it didn't show). :)

We had a tornado half a mile south of our house a few years ago. It left a teddy bear in our pasture. We still have the teddy bear.

WOW! Wow-o-wow. Wowie. Those pics are awesome.

First, there's a perfectly framed shot of Diana's plane on the grass by a tree. The feeling I have from that pic is indescribable--it captures the true essence of GA. Really nice lighting too.

Then, those pics of fully formed mammatus--boy, I'd hate to be flying below that. Last time I saw that up close and personal the sky turned green. Yikes. And it looks very similiar to the pic Lance has. For you non-believers, you still think it can't happen?

Bill, those are some really good shots. If they really are as good as they look you might think about submitting them to a stock photo agency, the appropriate magazines, or even to the NWS. I know good pics are worth some good money. It's referral-based income and it's always good to see your name in print.

That picture of Diana's plane is what it's all about... The Good Life.

Interesting WX pictures. I've seen some fun stuff like that before. I just added those to my collection.

Those photos are breathtaking. Thanks for posting them.

It's nice to "know" people in different parts of the country and go and visit them. Sounds like you had fun with the Richards'.

Great pics! Wow--great mammatus! We had some of that locally last week which followed the first tornado this season for which the the tornado sirens in town activated. (Of course I was outside. Why do you ask?)

Terry

Sounds like you guys had a great visit. Can't see the pics. Sorry, but it sure sounds great.

Dave

Richard said:
WOW! Wow-o-wow. Wowie. Those pics are awesome.

First, there's a perfectly framed shot of Diana's plane on the grass by a tree. The feeling I have from that pic is indescribable--it captures the true essence of GA. Really nice lighting too.

Then, those pics of fully formed mammatus--boy, I'd hate to be flying below that. Last time I saw that up close and personal the sky turned green. Yikes. And it looks very similiar to the pic Lance has. For you non-believers, you still think it can't happen?

Bill, those are some really good shots. If they really are as good as they look you might think about submitting them to a stock photo agency, the appropriate magazines, or even to the NWS. I know good pics are worth some good money. It's referral-based income and it's always good to see your name in print.

Richard, these are jpeg versions of the original raw files. So the originals should be even better. If you have contacts or info on agencies, etc, please drop me a PM or an email.

thanks...

bill

The photos are incredible. Swirly like the skies in Van Gogh paintings. Thanks for posting them, Bill.

Diana, I'm glad there's a lot of room for luggage in the Citabria....

Dang Diana - I was just in your neck of the woods - spent 5 days last week in Nixa!

Beautiful where we were (halfway between Nixa and Ozark, off of McCauley Road)... sorry I didn't look you up!

Cheers,

-Andrew

astanley said:
Dang Diana - I was just in your neck of the woods - spent 5 days last week in Nixa!

Beautiful where we were (halfway between Nixa and Ozark, off of McCauley Road)... sorry I didn't look you up!

Cheers,

-Andrew

Hey Andrew, next time you're out this way, give a holler, and let's get together!
:)

Here are Radar pictures about two hours before I left. KLLU is about four counties up from the MO/AR line, right under some of the storms. As I headed south, that little hook on the South side of the storm was moving towards Ft. Smith and Fayetteville. A slight deviation east did the trick.

It sure was nice having WXWorx in the plane.

Last edited:
terzap said:
Great pics! Wow--great mammatus!
The local paper had an article on those clouds from the other day. The meteorologist from the NWS said they have an acronym for them.........SLC which stands for "scary looking clouds." :)

He did further clarify that with "cumulonimbus mammatus with undulatus wave forms."

fgcason said:
I wonder if one should be concerned about one's sanity when that sequence of bizzarre words that relatively few people even know exist is perfectly understandable...

Some more SLC's if anyone missed them from a few months back:
http://riga1992.home.att.net/tornado/Tornado.html

I kind of wonder if one should be concerned about their sanity if they think "cumulonimbus mammatus with undulatus wave forms" sounds dirty if read the right way.:goofy:

Joe Williams said:
I kind of wonder if one should be concerned about their sanity if they think "cumulonimbus mammatus with undulatus wave forms" sounds dirty if read the right way.:goofy:

:eek:

Methinks someone forgot to take their medicine this morning. :p

wsuffa said:
Diana,

Thank you and Tom for a really nice visit. I got the best night's sleep of my entire trip out in the Hangar. Must have been the Citabria keeping me company....

It was worth the terrible headwinds and long trip out of Manassas yesterday. 40-50 Kts from KLOU to KLLU. Like flying westbound in the wintertime.

I made up for a bit of that today on the way back, about the only real tailwinds on the entire trip. The whole trip was KSSF - KLIT - KISZ - KHEF - KLOU - KLLU - KSSF.

The weather was too bad this morning to go flying. I wish I'd had the chance to take you up in the Commander... and do a little aerobatics in the Citabria.

The pictures show the sky this morning. Diana, Tom, and I were fascinated.

I enjoyed the songbirds, the great company, talking about travel - places - people we know, and expecially to sit at the hangar enjoying a beer at sunset.

bill

Great photo's. Thanks for sharing.

Joe Williams said:

Nope, just you, Joe. When I see mammatus the only thing I'm thinking is high probabilty of severe downdrafts.

Back