Bill Kershner dies

PHXAvi8tor

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
PHXAvi8tor
We have lost a flight-instructing legend.

Bill Kershner, who the AOPA nicknamed the "Spin Doctor" for his exhaustive scientific study of spins and other safety issues, and who wrote flight-instruction books with sales surpassing 1 million copies, died Monday after a long battle with cancer. He was 77.

Nothing yet on the news wires, but here is the blurb from the AOPA Web site: http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2007/070109kershner.html

Last edited:
Good books, good information, good educator, and a good pilot. He made a mark on many of us and helped me, through his writings, with his knowledge to learn more about flying. Here's to you!

What a shame. He certainly deserves legend status. I wish I could have studied aerobatics with him.

BTW - and off topic, but Scott, please explain that avatar!?

Last edited:
I shared a couple emails with Bill Kershner last year regarding spin and upset recover training. That's something I'd ultimately love to teach. His rates seemed way too high for me at the time so I put it off. Now, I wish I had gone up and done a few hours with him. That's a memory I'm certain I would have treasured forever. :(

He will be missed by anyone who ever read his stories and his teaching materials. I have a copy of each of his books. I wish I had his skills.

I feel lucky to have read several of his books as well as met and flown with him. Bill Kershner gave several of us WINGS volunteers a free spin lesson durining a GSO WINGS many years ago.
I'll hoist a beer in honor and memory of you Mr. Kershner.:cheerswine:

Old Pilots do not die. They "fly west".....as did Henry Boren MD of the FAA's aeromedical group. He was the sage pscyhiatrist there for many years.

Back