Bill, how was Greece?

Greece was great. Between 65 and 70 every day, one overcast day with spitting showers, the rest were partly cloudy or clear. Great food, great wine, great ouzo (if I remember correctly), and nice people.

Catching up today at work.

Pictures will come - will sort through and link. I took about 280 digital pics and 5-6 rolls of B&W film (which got x-rayed 3 times when stupid airport security refused my request to hand inspect 'em).

Bottom line: I came away with an entirely different (and vastly more positive) impression than I had before I went over. (Well, maybe except for the Turkish Squatters.)

Greece was great. Between 65 and 70 every day, one overcast day with spitting showers, the rest were partly cloudy or clear. Great food, great wine, great ouzo (if I remember correctly), and nice people.

Catching up today at work.

Pictures will come - will sort through and link. I took about 280 digital pics and 5-6 rolls of B&W film (which got x-rayed 3 times when stupid airport security refused my request to hand inspect 'em).

Bottom line: I came away with an entirely different (and vastly more positive) impression than I had before I went over. (Well, maybe except for the Turkish Squatters.)

My wife wants to go there next summer. Suggestions?

I went to Athens. It would be great for a couple of days. While I was there I met a lot of people who were doing the whole tour of the Greek Isles. It sounded really great! I think I would be interested in a small boat cruise of the islands were you get to spend a day or two at a variety of places and NOT have a huge cruise ship experience. I have done several small boat things around this part of the world and have always been happy. With visiting Greece the key is to be able to travel and you either go by boat or air. And air travel is a PIA these days.

Athens is a must-see for a first-time. It'll be hot in summer. 2 days gives you all the "important" ancient stuff. You'll learn that everything the romans had came from Greece :p (it's a matter of perspective, no?).

The islands are great. Santorini is worth about 3, depending on where you stay. Rhodes & Crete are reported to be great (I didn't get there). I got Euro 59 tickets to Santorini. Some of the smaller islands are reachable only by ferry (Santorini is 8 hours by ferry, 30 minutes by air from Athens).

And there are some cities & towns inland that are worth it, too. More on that when I have more time.

Back