Bill Cox accused of busting a Presidential TFR

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
Bill Cox, in his column in the current Plane and Pilot magazine describes a harrowing tale of how he had a close encounter with F-16s in Texas. He saw the F-16. The F-16 fired flares. He was told on 121.5 to land at a nearby airport and remain in the plane until the Secret Service arrived. Minutes later he heard Air Force One talking to ATC. Since he was in contact with ATC, the F-16 wagged wings and departed.

What did he do? He was aware of a TFR for the visit by the President to Fort Worth. He verified multiple times, with different sources that the TFR would end at 3:15 PM local time. He flew with his wife shortly after 4:00 PM and got busted.

The Secret Service arrived and requested his ID and his story. The agent had little idea of the facts of the TFR or what Cox was accused of doing. When Cox pointed out that the TFR ended at 3:15, they checked and checked, agreed he was right and sent him on the way. They said the President often runs late and this happens. No bust. No repercussions.

There for the grace of...

Last edited:
I read it, too, but I haveto say that since nothing in government service ever runs on schedule, my practice is to be squawking and talking (at least flight following) at all times like this, and that would include a significant period after the scheduled end of the TFR. In my experience, the feds always coordinate with the Center / App controllers, because that is the only way they have of actually knowing if a potentially violating aircraft is *really * violating.

In addition, I always monitor 121.5.

Just my experiences in flying 'round P49 a lot.

This is precisely the kind of problem that may occur if the proposed penalties are put into place for the ADIZ. The government is never wrong.

File and fly IFR always. Despite the fact that system is close to collapse.

Back