Bill & Brent

How's the Mooney training going? You guys out there on your own yet?

Due to family and work obligations, I've only gotten 1.8 dual so far, but Brent will, after his quick lunch trip to Destin, most likely have his 10 dual in.

I'm up Monday night for my next lesson, but it will take a while, as I have further commitments to meet that will impeed my progress. It is KILLING me, but I'll get there.:(

I have 3.7hrs in the bird now:) I am taking a day trip with a CFII this Saturday and will hopefully get an additional 4-6hrs depending on where we go. Once I have 10 dual I have to fly another 10 solo prior to carrying passengers. Woo Hooo!! Finally got a Mooney!!:yes:

I have 3.7hrs in the bird now:) I am taking a day trip with a CFII this Saturday and will hopefully get an additional 4-6hrs depending on where we go. Once I have 10 dual I have to fly another 10 solo prior to carrying passengers. Woo Hooo!! Finally got a Mooney!!:yes:

Was that you at RYY this morning? I was in the Cessna doing touch and goes when you landed.

Was that you at RYY this morning? I was in the Cessna doing touch and goes when you landed.

Yep...I only saw one person in the pattern when we landed. Tower put me on Rt DW. You must have been the one on Lt DW. I flew down to RYY to finally meet the seller and exchange some items. We were at the FBO and saw a C182RG taxi out for TO with his baggage door open!! We called the tower and let him know. You would think you could hear the difference in the cockpit:dunno: It started to get busy when we were leaving. I think 5 of us were in line for departure and 2-3 in the pattern. We departed and flew down to Saint Simon Island for lunch and then came back to CHA. I now have a total of 10.7 hrs in the wonderful bird.:)

It sounds like Brent will be doing some solo work pretty soon. I transitioned from a 172 to my 201 and one of the hardest things for me to get use to was slowing down when approaching the airport. The Mooney does not want to fly slow, it's made to get you there fast on the cheap.

Yep...I only saw one person in the pattern when we landed. Tower put me on Rt DW. You must have been the one on Lt DW. I flew down to RYY to finally meet the seller and exchange some items. We were at the FBO and saw a C182RG taxi out for TO with his baggage door open!! We called the tower and let him know. You would think you could hear the difference in the cockpit:dunno: It started to get busy when we were leaving. I think 5 of us were in line for departure and 2-3 in the pattern. We departed and flew down to Saint Simon Island for lunch and then came back to CHA. I now have a total of 10.7 hrs in the wonderful bird.:)

That was my student and I in the Cessna on downwind. I also heard your conversation about the baggage door while we were taxiing in. Glad things are going well for you guys with Mooney.

brent - ive never noticed the difference in sound when ive went flying with the baggage door open

brent - ive never noticed the difference in sound when ive went flying with the baggage door open

Either have I. I've had them open up on many'a'rental planes. I'm sure they are kept pretty well closed during normal coordinated flight by the wind.

Open baggage door scares the hell out of me (when I fly, about 50% of the time, Piper's in the backseat.

*shudders*

I have never had the baggage door open on me (yet). I do check and make sure the door is locked during preflight. During my private training I was flying a POS 152 and my door popped open on departure. It was loud and scared the buh-jeepers out of me for a split second.

doors popping open on 150s seems to be standard with the breed, not just the POS's. id guess that the door opening is much louder than baggage because its much closer to your head. i can relate to the split second scaring of buh-jeebers.

enjoy your solo time. you should be able to get your 10 hours in time to give Bill a ride to 6Y9??

So here's a question. If I need to get 10 hours with a CFI before insurance says I can carry passengers, can I fly with myself?

So here's a question. If I need to get 10 hours with a CFI before insurance says I can carry passengers, can I fly with myself?

No way! It has to be solo and that means no one can be in the plane, not even myself.

201 baggage doors have been know to come open if left unlocked. I understand it is very expensive when the wind rips them off the plane.

I realize your question is tongue in cheek, but the FAA actually addressed that issue in 14 CFR 61.195(i) -- no self-endorsements. In any event, even if that reg doesn't really apply (since it is limited to Part 61 requirements), I suspect that the insurance company requires the CFI involved to have 10 hours in type, so you wind up with a Catch-22 situation -- you can't be the CFI for the 10 hours in type until you have 10 hours in type.

I realize your question is tongue in cheek, but the FAA actually addressed that issue in 14 CFR 61.195(i) -- no self-endorsements. In any event, even if that reg doesn't really apply (since it is limited to Part 61 requirements), I suspect that the insurance company requires the CFI involved to have 10 hours in type, so you wind up with a Catch-22 situation -- you can't be the CFI for the 10 hours in type until you have 10 hours in type.

But I could "illegally" fly in the eyes of the insurance company for 10 hours with myself, and then give myself the 10 hours of "insurance instruction" since I would then have 10 in type? LOL. I'm guessing that most insurance companies, if you hold a current CFI certificate, would probably just say 10 solo before pax. Then again, stranger things have been required.

And yes, I know I can't self endorse. :)

201 baggage doors have been know to come open if left unlocked. I understand it is very expensive when the wind rips them off the plane.

Our A&P told us in no uncertain terms that we must properly secure and lock the baggage door as part of our pre-flight. He says if it does pop open, get as slow as you can as fast as you can. He says if you get slow, they will sometimes stay on, no harm, no foul.

If they come off, they sometimes nail one of the tail control surfaces...big bucks.

Back