Bike Trail Dangers

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
In my area we have a fairly long bike trail that is frequented on the weekends, not surprisingly, by bicyclists. Like me. Anyway I was cruising along at a good 18 mph clip and I get passed up by this lady. Granted, I was on a mountain bike and she was on a road bike, but this isn't a gender physical superiority thread anyway, that's not where I was going with it.

I didn't particularly feel like regaining my lead or pacing her, but something caught my eye. As I drew closer, my suspicions were confirmed. Indeed, those spandex pants with the appearance of shorts over them was actually a two-piece spandex long pant with detachable leggings. The lowers appeared to be attached by thin velcro, and were patterened, unlike the upper, which was plain dark blue. The upper portion however, depsite the dark blue color, was actually surprisingly translucent, particularly in the sun and did little to mask the skin tone underneath. Secondly, those were indeed panties underneath, French cut with a sharp V, almost transitioning into a thong. Amazing. Thong-panties. Thanties! Wow. They were unlike any I've seen. Black in color, scalloped pattern on the seams, raised embroidered pattern on the interior, visible tag that appeared to say......

THWUNK!

I never saw it. She zigged. I didn't. There was a very large rock on the trail. The front shocks took some of the force but the solid rear did not, consequently I did a 180 degree forward flip and landed on my head, bike managed to detach from the foot clips and flew forward into the bushes. A couple of bikers stopped to render assistance.

Damage assessment:

1. Helmet took a direct hit to the pavement and is pretty gouged. I'll need a new one.
2. Minor cuts and bruises to the body (primarily on the back.)
3. Twisted ankle.
4. Broken sunglasses (that's why I wear cheap Foster Grants.)
5. Sore neck but I think it's getting better.
6. Rear wheel knocked out of true. Fortunately I had a spoke wrench with me so I could get it in a rideable condition. I'll finish truing it later.
7. More paint and black anodize scraped off the frame and handlebars. It's not really noticeable, it blends in with all the rest of the scraped off paint and black anodize.
8. Rear derailleur tweaked. Again, just a cable stretch issue. Already fixed.

Surprisingly, my telephone came through the event unscathed. I was actually streaming Pandora through the earphones. I'm thinking that was probably a mistake. Maybe if I hadn't been listening to streaming music that wouldn't have happened. Honestly though, I don't remember what song was playing at the time.

Be careful out there.

hey don't feel bad, we had a guy killed dead here, driving along watching the gals on the sidewalk as he entered an active RR crossing :(

Those panties will get you every time.

More seriously: About eight or so years ago, I had a lady, (I didn't get a chance to check her butt, so I can't tell y'all about her panties.)open her car door on me, blam, over I went. (It wasn't a THWUNK!, it was a blam!). I ended up on the pavement with a bunch of EMT types all over me. They finally decided I was OK and let me go. My bike wheels were all twisted and my helmet was shot. I wobbled it about four blocks to the bike shop, then went to work.

Two weeks later, around four o'clock in the afternoon, I started getting pains in my chest. By five, my left arm was tingling. I went home and decided I must be having a heart attack. I had made up my mind years ago that I did not want to die in a hospital, so I sat down and started watching TV. About an hour or so later, I had a complete change of heart,( so to speak) and called 911. The pain by then, in my chest and down my arm was excruciating.

After enduring a whole night in emergency, where they refused to give me any pain meds the whole night, they finally fixed me up with some.

It turned out I had torn chest muscles from that bike wreck two weeks earlier.
The pain meds pretty much solved the problem in just a few days.

That is the reason for this story. You ain't out of the woods yet.

John

:nonod: Boys.

I'm glad you're (mostly) ok. Did you take some advil? It'll cut down all of your inflammation, which, by the sounds of it, is extensive. :lol:

So, a little blue pill got him in this prediciment and now a little white pill will make him feel better :dunno::dunno:..:wink2::rofl:

Isn't the first time I've heard of a young lady's butt effecting a guys head.

I think you need some Bourbon for the pain. Lots of Bourbon.

In my area we have a fairly long bike trail that is frequented on the weekends, not surprisingly, by bicyclists. Like me. Anyway I was cruising along at a good 18 mph clip and I get passed up by this lady. Granted, I was on a mountain bike and she was on a road bike, but this isn't a gender physical superiority thread anyway, that's not where I was going with it.

I didn't particularly feel like regaining my lead or pacing her, but something caught my eye. As I drew closer, my suspicions were confirmed. Indeed, those spandex pants with the appearance of shorts over them was actually a two-piece spandex long pant with detachable leggings. The lowers appeared to be attached by thin velcro, and were patterened, unlike the upper, which was plain dark blue. The upper portion however, depsite the dark blue color, was actually surprisingly translucent, particularly in the sun and did little to mask the skin tone underneath. Secondly, those were indeed panties underneath, French cut with a sharp V, almost transitioning into a thong. Amazing. Thong-panties. Thanties! Wow. They were unlike any I've seen. Black in color, scalloped pattern on the seams, raised embroidered pattern on the interior, visible tag that appeared to say......

:needpics::needpics::needpics:

One of the problems on our local bike trails is the dog-walkers. The ones with those 100' retractable leashes - the kind that let the walker stand off the trail on one side and let the dog be well off the trail on the other side, and it's especially nice when they do that around a blind corner. That's fun - I got a side of road-rash because of that.

"1. Helmet took a direct hit to the pavement and is pretty gouged. I'll need a new one."

Any helmet should always be replaced immediately if it has taken any kind of hit, even if there is no apparent damage. Its ability to protect your noggin may have been compromised undetectably by the impact. A shiny new one is cheap insurance.

Awesome story. Get well soon!

I almost crashed a motorcycle while checking out a hot woman driving a rad Dodge Charger in the next lane. Kudos to the Honda engineers that designed the motorcycle brakes. They worked to the limit keeping me from blowing a red light and zooming into a busy intersection. :yikes:

And then one day you realize that watching the girls is like a dog chasing a car. Even if he catches it, he can't drive.

Did she render any "ASSistance?"

Sigh. She was long gone. A group of four riders stopped. The two burly dudes were laughing their heads off. The two identically dressed gay guys actually lent a hand to help out.

:nonod: Boys.

I'm glad you're (mostly) ok. Did you take some advil? It'll cut down all of your inflammation, which, by the sounds of it, is extensive. :lol:

Actually, I went straight to the Joel Gott Sauvignon Blanc. Napa Valley you know. Surprisingly good for mid range priced screw top bottle.

It turned out I had torn chest muscles from that bike wreck two weeks earlier.
The pain meds pretty much solved the problem in just a few days.

That is the reason for this story. You ain't out of the woods yet.

John

So far I think I'm good. I was hella sore at the gym this morning, and my ankle is still tweaked, but overall the injuries were fairly minor. I've been through a lot worse, both on bicycles, and on a motorcycle. But I'll keep that in mind should something develop. There is this sharp pain in the groin every time I see a nice ass, but I think that was a pre-existing condition.

I think you need some Bourbon for the pain. Lots of Bourbon.

I did not have any Bourbon present (see above comment RE Tracey.) But my whiskey drink choice would have been Jameson, or a decently old Talisker or Lagavoulen.

"1. Helmet took a direct hit to the pavement and is pretty gouged. I'll need a new one."

Any helmet should always be replaced immediately if it has taken any kind of hit, even if there is no apparent damage. Its ability to protect your noggin may have been compromised undetectably by the impact. A shiny new one is cheap insurance.

Correct - I don't mean to imply that it was trashed simply because it was visibly damaged. The best job I ever did was when I biffed it on a ten foot descending jump on some single track. My head went in to a granite rock face and literally split my helmet in two. I certainly would have been dead if I weren't wearing a helmet in that one. Even in this crash, it certainly saved me from a severe head injury.

Awesome story. Get well soon!

I almost crashed a motorcycle while checking out a hot woman driving a rad Dodge Charger in the next lane. Kudos to the Honda engineers that designed the motorcycle brakes. They worked to the limit keeping me from blowing a red light and zooming into a busy intersection. :yikes:

Yes, Suzuki, BMW and Kawasaki engineers have kept me out of trouble that way for years.

Bike is squared away, got the rear wheel completely true before I opened the second bottle of wine (probably a good thing.)

Doesn't this belong under "lessons learned"?

Oh, wait, Sac posted it... nevermind! ;)

O.K. So I make bike wheels for a living because apparently flying doesn't drain the bank account fast enough. Our wheels, while worth it, are pricey. However for someone that demonstrates such a passion for the sport I can probably swing you a set below wholesale. PM if interested.

One of the problems on our local bike trails is the dog-walkers. The ones with those 100' retractable leashes - the kind that let the walker stand off the trail on one side and let the dog be well off the trail on the other side, and it's especially nice when they do that around a blind corner. That's fun - I got a side of road-rash because of that.

One of the problems with walking your dog around here is the bikers who are blaring down the public use trails out of control. :stirpot:

One of the problems with walking your dog around here is the bikers who are blaring down the public use trails out of control. :stirpot:

They do it here too... Idiots buy multi thousand dollar mountian bikes and then think EVERYONE needs to stay out of their way while they play..... Just like us aviators , gravity wins every time and some of their wrecks are life ending......................................................... Money + no brains = paraplegic...:yesnod::yesnod::yesnod:

Another example of target fixation.

Your first responsibility is to the safe operation of your vehicle. Everything else is number last.

Yeah - I remember seeing the guy off the trail on one side, and moved over to give him room. Then I saw motion in my peripheral vision and realized his dog was in bushes on the other side. Then I saw the leash across the trail and ended up on my side when I dumped it. Not too spectacular of a crash, since I really wasn't going very fast, but did get caught off guard.

Something I learned too is that the styrofoam stiffens and ages. All bike helmets should be replaced every 5 years. If your motorcycle hemet uses styrofoam that rule should apply there too.

All I know Sac is that your posts are some of the most entertaining out there. Kudos to the wine choice also, but I prefer reds, and like Gotts cabs.

:)

All I know Sac is that your posts are some of the most entertaining out there. Kudos to the wine choice also, but I prefer reds, and like Gotts cabs.

:)

I actually generally prefer reds too (particularly Zinfandels, real ones, not foul white Zins) but I've lost my taste for reds lately. I don't like most white wines but I will drink a good Sauvignon Blanc or occasionally a Pinot Grigio but that's about it.

I actually generally prefer reds too (particularly Zinfandels, real ones, not foul white Zins) but I've lost my taste for reds lately. I don't like most white wines but I will drink a good Sauvignon Blanc or occasionally a Pinot Grigio but that's about it.
Ok kids... lets take all this wine talk over to the RED board....... What do you think this is ? The AOPA :dunno::dunno::wink2::D:rofl::rofl:

OMG how did I ever miss this post. I can't believe you admitted to the cause of the accident! Reminds me of that car insurance commercial where the driver is checking out a female jogger and then rams his car into a pole.

And the worst part is that Sac didn't even get any digits from the gal... :D

Have you ever tried just getting an extra pint or two of blood added?

Back