Bike at Airventure

jkgoblue

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
John K.
Last two years I've walked all around Airventure and this year I was thinking of bring my folding bike. Is it worth it? or more effort than anything gained. Would I need a lock to keep it outside the pavilions? Will people steal it?? Not sure if the whole event is really bike friendly.

several people buy bikes at the local goodwill and then take them back at the end of the week. if you are wanting to move around the north 40 a bike is a nice thing to have. i recall a pile of them being up against the fence near the last bus stop

Lots of people bring their bikes to the Show, so they don't have to walk from their aircraft. There are busses, but sometimes they're just not around when you need them. I've never been to a place where folks don't steal unlocked bikes, but there are copious bike racks for their security. Some folks just purchase one from the Good Will on arrival and give it back when they leave.

Bikes are good to get from camping spot to the show grounds, where you lock them up (bikes not permitted inside the show grounds).

I wouldn't worry about someone stealing your bike at your campsite. At the common area where they're parked outside the show entrance, I'd lock it up.

Last two years I've walked all around Airventure and this year I was thinking of bring my folding bike.

Bicycles
Bicycles are allowed in camping areas only. Prohibited along the flight line or inside AirVenture gates. Bicycle parking areas are available near each admission gate along the flight line. Bicycle owners are encouraged to bring a lock.

it is a heck of a lot of walking. I see those kids with rollers in their shoes, seems like a practical idea.

I've bought a bike at goodwill. Go through the gate by the super8 exiting the north40. Selection of bikes gets poorer the later you go(on sunday).

How about those Razor Scooters. They can be collapsed and slung over the shoulder. Will they allow those inside the gates?

I've never seen them inside, Adam... and the roads in scholler... well calling them roads (particularly after rain) is being very generous. On the north 4 they may work well. One year I brought roller skates to get around the north 40.. Just tied them to the fence as I entered the grounds.

How about those Razor Scooters. They can be collapsed and slung over the shoulder. Will they allow those inside the gates?

I don't know how the rest of the grounds enforce it, but in vintage, other than the handicapped transport, no scooters, bikes, roller skates, pogo sticks, or any other form of transportation other than your feet are tolerated.

Folding bicycles aren't allowed on the convention grounds but they are sometimes handy for off-site travel. Bring a lock and remember where you parked it because the bike parking areas can turn into a jungle. I wouldn't bring a Razor scooter because there's a lot of grass and gravel.

I fly with a 225cc motorcycle. It's usually very convenient... except at airshows. The security folks like to insist that motorcycles are not allowed on the flight line. This requires a little explaining when you need to take the motorcycle back to the airplane at the end of the show.

MotoLOAD.jpg

In a word, no. They can, however, be left in the Bike Corral near the south(?) entrance.

I'm planning on bringing my Dahon folding bike this year. It should save on a LOT of walking. :)

Back