Biggest Little Air Show in the East

FlySince9

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jerry
How many remember the Sussex Air Show in Sussex County, NJ?

Remember Free-Loader Hill?

First time I went to the show, Leo Loudenslager http://ww.icasfoundation.org/hall_fame/1998/hf_loudenslager.htm opened the show. On lift off he completed three or four separate rolling maneuvers before he got to the end of the 3500' runway. :yikes: What a great show! There was always a program of class acts, including the warbird parade, which usually included a B-17, P-40, and Mustang among others. It was better than a Blue-Angels or Thunderbird show. :yesnod: I made it a point to get there no matter where I was living at the time. I really miss it every year since the embezzlement controversy shut it down. what a darn shame...

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/05/owner_of_sussex_county_airport.html

:sad:

What is your favorite Air Show Event?

Ya know what I like? I like when I take off at an airport with an air show going on and the people line up to see me taxi by. I was just at KTEB and they had an air show going on. I talked to the P-51 pilot at the hotel briefly at the hotel the night before.

As we taxi out sure enough people start lining up by the fence and pictures start clicking. There was even a guy shooting video. Kids, moms and dads waving. I wave back. Feel like a rock star. I like it because I'm so envious of that P-51 driver and the taxi by gives me just a second of feeling how he must feel...

As for the show, Blue Angles. Best of the Best. I have no idea why the Air Force even tries with their 'Wonder Turds' or whatever they call themselves. And the Army? Okay, they're trying really hard...got to give credit for effort. But seriously...'falling' is your talent? blow colored smoke all you want, it's still just falling.

Edit to add: I should mention 1: I fly a P-180 so that's the air show stares, and 2: I was in the Navy so the Air Force can suck it.

Last edited:
As for the show, Blue Angles. Best of the Best. I have no idea why the Air Force even tries with their 'Wonder Turds' or whatever they call themselves. And the Army? Okay, they're trying really hard...got to give credit for effort. But seriously...'falling' is your talent? blow colored smoke all you want, it's still just falling.

Cap, you just went up a notch in my view. ;) Go Navy.

Get your butt over to Grand Junction this fall. :)

As for the show, Blue Angles. Best of the Best. (+1) I have no idea why the Air Force even tries with their 'Wonder Turds' or whatever they call themselves. And the Army? Okay, they're trying really hard...got to give credit for effort. But seriously...'falling' is your talent? blow colored smoke all you want, it's still just falling. :rofl:

Edit to add: I should mention 1: I fly a P-180 so that's the air show stares, and 2: I was in the Navy so the Air Force can suck it.

When I grow up and get rich and famous I'm getting a Piaggio. From what I have read they are unmatched. Lucky bastard. :D

Piaggios have strange passenger seat bathrooms.

My favorite "event" is now this one I saw for free on Friday night on the gazebo under the tower. You need the gate code to get in, but most Class D airports have the same gate code around here. There was a flight school throwing a party with a small keg, there was food (all of it free) and there was a small heli airshow. Folks at the aviation musuem paid $25 to get in (the show was less than 30 minutes of flying). It was so neat to sit on the gazebo with pilots, watch the airshow, then eat and drink and go home. (After a night flight with my friend so he could get current).

This was in SQL - San Carlos airport. It was a "twilight" helicopter airshow after work. I know people who are members of the flight club. I just kept thinking, wow, my flight school doesn't throw parties - this is awesome.

4715832960_d39b081a32.jpg

Back